Richlands @ Virginia High

Ryan4VT

4. Weather you want to admit it or not, the loss of Wells as the OC is hurting you guys much worse than people let on. He was the key to your successful season last year (aside the kids. That's the key every year).

You are absolutely correct. Maybe I'm naïve, but I don't know why the offense had to completely change just because our offensive coordinator left. I would think that since he left for a private school located nowhere near here that he would have left behind at least some scraps of his playbook; unless of course he left out of annoyance with the BVPS (which is a common occurrence apparently) and didn't want to give us a possible upper-hand against alma mater (for which, I would not blame him one bit)

You are absolutely correct. Maybe I'm naïve, but I don't know why the offense had to completely change just because our offensive coordinator left. I would think that since he left for a private school located nowhere near here that he would have left behind at least some scraps of his playbook; unless of course he left out of annoyance with the BVPS (which is a common occurrence apparently) and didn't want to give us a possible upper-hand against alma mater (for which, I would not blame him one bit)

Try explaining that post to your brethren, Bobby….

Raven my man, I never left and I never go backwards.  Onward and upward I say!  And now as I exit this stage, I leave you with my interpretation of one of the great all-time quotes.  It is historical so maybe Ryan can work it into that 15 page essay:

"And so, lifting as we climb (the VHSL standings), onward and upward we go (to Euclid Avenue that is), struggling and striving (struggling to get over that THS spanking and striving for a modicum of dignity v. R-lands), and hoping that the buds and blossoms of our desires will burst into glorious fruition ere long (with TDs Friday night).  With courage, born of success achieved in the past (at least on the Diamond), with a keen sense of the responsibility which we shall continue to assume (should we ever beat R-lands again), we look forward to a future large with promise and hope (that we can keep a coach longer than 2 seasons).  Seeking no favors because of our color (Orange and Black), nor patronage because of our needs (district wins), we knock at the bar of justice (wanting to replay the last minute from our last meeting), asking for an equal chance (just use legal spikes)."

'Til next time!

Seeking no favors because of our color (Orange and Black)

*Black and Orange. Black is beautiful, it's our primary color

But let's not fight over this or about how the V-Cats logo is better than the Bearcats logo *laughs*

I m not familiar with a "V-Cat". Is it a hybrid creature from deep within some recently discovered land? You whippersnappers crack me up with your newfangled ideas!

This is coming from a Virginia High fan who has a tiger as his avatar. You guys give me a bad name.

This must be Ryan's lucky week.  I am going to provide a little more free history since Jethro is still in the dark...

From 1914-1939, VHS had no mascot.  They were known as the "Fightin' Virginians".   The school colors were established as Orange and Black because those were unique in the area at the time.  The administration felt it unnecessary to select a mascot given the state of world affairs at the time. 

At the beginning of the 1939 school year, the new principal felt a mascot was necessary.  Thought it might assist in building community support.  He ordered a contest be held to select a mascot.  The student body was evenly divided between "Bearcat" and "Tigers".  To decide the very close vote, a compromise was reached:  The image would be that of a Bengal Tiger while the mascot name would be Bearcat.   Few folks at that time had ever seen an image of a Bearcat so the logo was not really questioned by the community.  It became an inside joke that the mascot image was not in synch with the name.  The image officially appeared in 1940 as did the name "Bearcat". 

In the late 1940's, a new administrator attempted to correct the mismatched mascot and logo.  He was roundly rebuked.  He wanted to replace the Tiger image with the image of a war aircraft known as the Bearcat.  He also attempted to change the name to Bristol High School.  The man obviously had no sense of humor and lasted only a short period.

Recently deceased US Senator George Warren is widely accredited with the original submission of "Bearcat".  He was a student/cheerleader at VHS during 1939.

I like the "inside joke" and hope the Bearcat image lasts a few more generations anyway!

This must be Ryan's lucky week.  I am going to provide a little more free history since Jethro is still in the dark...

From 1914-1939, VHS had no mascot.  They were known as the "Fightin' Virginians".   The school colors were established as Orange and Black because those were unique in the area at the time.  The administration felt it unnecessary to select a mascot given the state of world affairs at the time. 

At the beginning of the 1939 school year, the new principal felt a mascot was necessary.  Thought it might assist in building community support.  He ordered a contest be held to select a mascot.  The student body was evenly divided between "Bearcat" and "Tigers".  To decide the very close vote, a compromise was reached:  The image would be that of a Bengal Tiger while the mascot name would be Bearcat.   Few folks at that time had ever seen an image of a Bearcat so the logo was not really questioned by the community.  It became an inside joke that the mascot image was not in synch with the name.  The image officially appeared in 1940 as did the name "Bearcat". 

In the late 1940's, a new administrator attempted to correct the mismatched mascot and logo.  He was roundly rebuked.  He wanted to replace the Tiger image with the image of a war aircraft known as the Bearcat.  He also attempted to change the name to Bristol High School.  The man obviously had no sense of humor and lasted only a short period.

Recently deceased US Senator George Warren is widely accredited with the original submission of "Bearcat".  He was a student/cheerleader at VHS during 1939.

I like the "inside joke" and hope the Bearcat image lasts a few more generations anyway!

this......

Two reasons Ryno. 1st, you owe me an apology.  The 2nd is you said you were working on a history essay.  Being magnanimous, I merely gave you a variety of historical data to help fill 15 pages.  Take it for what it is worth...or don't.  Also, it is a friendly admonishment to be wary with whom you pick fights.

I was tempted to not respond further but what the heck.  You have now caused me to wonder about the underlying sentiments of your comments.  Let us explore them for a moment.  Why on God's green Earth would I want to come over to your side?  You playing for the "other team"?  I have to tell you this; my door does not swing that way...not that there is anything wrong with that (to quote Jerry Seinfeld).  It is just not for me.  Sorry.  :)

If you are speaking of HS football (which I hope you were), I'll support my beloved Bearcats regardless of the outcome of the game. Since I have not taken a snap in many, many years, there is not much I can do about the outcome of the game.  I just enjoy supporting VHS.  So please, stay on "your side".  Anyway, have a good trip to our fair city.    I just hope the trip home is bit longer (but safe nonetheless).

Are we done?

Two reasons Ryno. 1st, you owe me an apology.  The 2nd is you said you were working on a history essay.  Being magnanimous, I merely gave you a variety of historical data to help fill 15 pages.  Take it for what it is worth...or don't.  Also, it is a friendly admonishment to be wary with whom you pick fights.

I was tempted to not respond further but what the heck.  You have now caused me to wonder about the underlying sentiments of your comments.  Let us explore them for a moment.  Why on God's green Earth would I want to come over to your side?  You playing for the "other team"?  I have to tell you this; my door does not swing that way...not there is anything wrong with that (to quote Jerry Seinfeld).  It is just not for me.  Sorry.  :)

If you are speaking of HS football (which I hope you were), I'll support my beloved Bearcats regardless of the outcome of the game. Since I have not taken a snap in many, many years, there is not much I can do about the outcome of the game.  I just enjoy supporting VHS.  So please, stay on "your side".  Anyway, have a good trip to our fair city.    I just hope the trip home is bit longer (but safe nonetheless).

Are we done?

I do not owe you any sort of apology. Your team made it to a point in the playoffs where there isn't but a few more rungs to climb. You said they would go farther in the playoffs this year. You are implying that this is the year. Maybe not to state, but you are implying that this year is the year that you go farther than last year. With that said, this Bearcat team will NOT go farther than last year. I'm sorry if that bursts your bubble. It's just the plain truth. 

I've tried to explain to you why, but you clearly aren't getting the point. You lost your QB, your prolific RB, and your OC. I still believe the OC has more to do with that than anything. Other Va. High posters agree. Yet, you clearly don't understand what I'm trying to get across. 

My typo of "weather" vs "whether" is due 100% to my iPhone auto-correcting to it. This new iOS 8 still has some kinks to work out. 

Also, why in the hell would UVAO stick up for you? He's put you in your place more times than I can remember. To think that he will call me (a poster he actually respects) out on a simple little typo is absurd. Also, the fact that you have to stoop to finding such things says a lot...

I am not gay. However, I do 1000000% support gay rights. But that is a discussion for a different time and place. So I don't appreciate you making little jabs at them saying "swing both ways." You knew very good and well what I meant by coming over to our side. 

I am now done with you. You hold absolutely NO credit with anything you say anymore, and I will treat your posts as such. 

I will have a wonderful trip up to Bristol on Friday. And I'll have just as good a trip home, and to every other game. 

Go Blue.

Obviously, reading comprehension and critical thought are not part of your major.  Too bad but hopefully those skills will develop with age and experience. 

Much like I hope VHS can develop a decent football program like they had in the late 60s, 70s and early 80s. VHS was good back then and has all the parts in place to return to at least that level.  Last year's win over Gretna on the road was a good starting point.  A win Friday would be another good stepping stone.  But a loss would not be the end of the climb either. 

Program building takes time.  Look at how long it has taken Richlands to get to where they are at the present.  You are too young to recall the slim years but trust me, it has not always been peaches and cream for the Tornadoes.  So enjoy the moment. 

In an attempt to extend an olive branch, I draw your attention to the quote, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".  Do not take yourself so seriously. You will be happier.

Are we done now?

Yes we are done! Your ego is way bigger than this and we are not worthy enough to help prop up your intellect.

No matter what is said its not sufficient enough for your intellectual status. So I for one will not infringe on your sensitivity to us who have no right to speak without first qualifying every detail of our own miserable mental capacity with you first.

So you fly high Bob!!!!!! You are so worthy!!!!!!

Truthfully, it does not really matter in the grand scheme of things.  I like the "Tiger" because that is what I grew up with and know the back story.  You had the "V-Cat".  Now it is the "Cat eyes" (which I do like).  But at the end of the day, none of the logos will make a single tackle or throw a pass.  I just like the history behind the "Tiger" and am a bit of a traditionalist. 

And while not exactly the same, it is not that uncommon for the mascot and logo to be different...Crimson Tide (Elephant)...Hokies (Turkey)...Athletics (Elephant)...just off the top of my head.

The V-Cat thing was a money grabbing op by an admin which was just wrong IMHO.  That is why I do not care for it in general.

It is about time...

I think what is bothersome to you fellows is that I don't trash talk about VHS.  Closest thing I have said is that I thought they would be BETTER this year and advance farther in the playoffs than last year.  In retrospect, that was maybe my heart speaking more than my head. But who knows, they could be better this year and still have a lesser W-L record.  As you know wins and losses do not necessarily correspond with a teams ability.  I dare say, Gate City is probably the best 2-2 team in 2A.    But I never said this would be THE year.  I cannot recall but I may have said that about last year's baseball team because it should have been and was THE year. 

Anyway, I was dragged into this because Ryan MISQUOTED me, pure and simple.  I rarely back down from a fight.  I know it is a failing on my part.  Poke fun at me, make fun of my team, whatever. I have very thick skin and a decent sense of humor over most things. But do not attempt to use my own words in an erroneous manner and expect no response. 

I harbor no ill feelings toward anyone...this is one moment, one topic that will be gone soon enough.  I have actually enjoyed toying with Ryan...he is young and has potential. 

Nosce te ipsum!

In case anyone is wondering what the little Latin phrase at the end of Bob's post means,  it means " know thyself ". 

No Bob, actually I didn't have to look it up.....lol........ my daughter just graduated from law school,  and of course she took Latin,  so I helped a little.......actually....very little,  but i do remember a few of the Latin phrases.  Just thought I would put this here to save a lot of people from taking the time to look it up.....lol

And here's another little Latin phrase that a lot of us should live by..........notice I said us.

acta non verba   ( deeds not words )