haysi info?

cwood78

3 injuries; 1 before the game that didnt play, 1 that got hurt during the game and was out and 1 that got hurt during the game and played through it. 

I hear(from knowledgeable, level headed people)  that the refs were the worst they had ever seen. Obviously wanted Tug to win. Even went as far as throwing flags after Tugs coach told them what to throw( "hey that was a hold!", flag thrown for holding)

and Tug wasnt bad. Not great but not bad.

This team needed some adversity to challenge them and they got it. Down 8-0 at Half and fought back to take the game into OT.

Overall I think this loss will refocus the team. Its not a bad thing.

They will be ready for Grundy this week back at the friendly confines of Sandlick

i understand,,,, by the way....got my brother, who hadn't been to a (haysi -clintwood) football game  since 1975...to watch the wave and tiger game....bought him a good looking haysi cap,..he sat on clintwoods side with me, man oh man, he like to beat me to death. i said if wave won, he didn't owe me for cap........but if wave lost,  he'd have to pay..........guess i lost 16.95.....still hasn't paid me ....lol.... family,,,, gotta love them......

Guys, I'll tell you up front that I keep stats for Tug Valley. I met some nice people from Haysi on Friday night, but I have to say the whining from some fans is absurd. First of all, the refs were horrible. They were very inconsistent with their calls, but to say that Tug Valley got every call is just incorrect. It shows that fans remember what they want to remember.

Haysi had 11 penalties for 91 yards.

Tug Valley had 9 penalties for 93 yards. 

That's not exactly an unbalanced stat line. Also, the referees did not throw 4 interceptions for Haysi, and they didn't fumble the football. Want to know what really happened? Haysi came out flat in the first half. They were sleep walking through the game. Tug Valley held an 8-0 lead at the intermission. Haysi came out and marched the ball right down the field to start the 3rd quarter and tied the game up. Haysi then got a long TD run from Turner to take the lead.

Tug Valley fought back with a drive of its own and tied the game up after a 5 yard TD pass on 4th down. On that play, a Haysi defender had the QB by the jersey but couldn't bring him down. I guess the refs kept him from making that sack too. After that, you could see Haysi tighten up. Then, Haysi had a chance to win the game in the final two minutes of regulation. But the QB misfired on a third down pass where the guy would've either walked into the end zone or been tackled inside the 5-yard-line for a first down. On fourth down, the pass hit a back in the numbers, but he dropped it. I'm sure the ref must've thrown something in his eyes before the ball got there.

In the first OT, Haysi went backward 10 yards after a Tug Valley sack. Then, Tug Valley had its possession and drove down to the 1-yard-line. Haysi stopped Tug Valley twice on the doorstep. Tug Valley's coaches were trying to call a timeout on the fourth down play, but the officials didn't give it to them. When one of Tug Valley's assistant coaches argued about it, Tug Valley was flagged with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. So, Tug Valley started from the 35-yard-line and drove down to score. I'm sure the officials flagged Tug Valley to help them out. I mean, every team wants to start OT from the 35-yard-line. You typically start from the 20-yard-line in WV.

Then, Haysi had its opportunity and threw an interception in the end zone. Again, I'm sure the officials actually grabbed the ball and put it in Austin Baisden's hands. Look, I put a lot of sarcasm in this post, but I stumbled across this thread when I was looking up what had been said about this game. It may be the biggest Tug Valley football win ever and is surely the biggest in the last 15 years. I have nothing but respect for the Haysi football program and the people I met, but it annoys me when I read these things saying that Tug Valley cheated. No one cheated. We were all a victim of some of the worst officiating I've ever seen in a high school game.

I appreciate your recap of the game. Like I said, I didnt go and I dont know what happened. 

You said "Haysi came out flat in the first half. They were sleep walking through the game", I can see that happening. After the year Haysi had last season its hard to stay focused on each game and not look ahead. Gotta stay focused, hopefully this will be a lesson learned.

You wont get any whining from me, I calls 'em like I sees 'em and I didnt see this one.

What is Tugs record so far?

Best of luck to Tug the rest of the way

I'll put it to you this way. My father was at the game, and when he talked to me after the game he said, "Those refs gave us some bad calls, didn't they?" I responded with, "Dad, I just think they made a ton of bad calls all around." I think the the thing that got under Haysi's fans' skin was the first quarter when 6 penalties were called against Haysi and none were called on Tug Valley. I chart every play, so I can go back and see what happened. Anyway, without looking at the film, I can clearly remember the delay of game, two offside penalties and the roughing the kicker penalty. I didn't see the other two, so I don't know if they were legit or not. But from the second quarter on, Tug Valley actually was flagged more than Haysi. Now, some of the calls and no calls were head scratchers.

To me, the most alarming thing was that this crew didn't seem to know proper game procedure. On some of the false start / offside penalties, they'd huddle for two minutes before deciding on something. There was a kickoff where Haysi was called for a block in the back and TV was called for a face mask. Both were correct calls, but they almost started the play from the point where the play ended initially. The proper call was to retry the kickoff. After discussing it for 5 minutes, they finally did the kickoff over. The end of regulation was also a complete mess. They would start and stop the clock for unknown reasons. There were moments when they started the clock when they shoudn't have and moments they stopped the clock when they shouldn't have. It was a mess!

Tug Valley is currently 3-1 with a fairly young team. We have a rough schedule ahead and are hoping to get a few more wins coming up this season. We would love to win them all, but that doesn't happen often. 

Quite honestly, last season's Haysi team was the best team that we've payed in the regular season in some time. So, I know this game was a surprise, even to the huge majority of Tug Valley fans.

After a 1st Q like that I can see Haysi fans getting worked up. I would say the delay of game penalties were probably legit, thats the norm for Haysi.

Last seasons Haysi team was goo, best we have had in a decade. This years is still a work in progress.