NEW RIDGE VIEW HIGH

cwood78

Tiger got a question for you. I know you have said a couple of times you think or have heard that they are going to use both coaching staffs on the same team(im referring to the varsity in my question). I cant even imagine Coach Mance and his staff breaking up and sharing or splitting duties in any capacity. They have a system in place that has just been proven to have worked out for the most part and for them to bring in three or more new guys , that may be just as good if not better than you are. To try and delegate or share their own proven ways which are probably different and try and make that cohesive enough to gel . Can that really be the best or even work out at all. I'm not trying to be a jerk here just serious about it because this team has the potential to really be a powerhouse.

Both coaching staffs have proven to be winners and very good coaches. I don't know either staff good enough to say who is best or more deserving but I can see the potential for there to be so much friction there that it would take a few years to work it out. This line of thought may be way off and not even be an issue. I hope its not! I just see the potential for this school to just be hard to handle in a lot of sports and just hadn't seen this question asked. I will be anxious to here your thoughts on this because you know and I don't. I also understand that both probably want to coach and deserve too. Can they really drop there pride and work together as one?

Haysis staff is 100% Haysi guys(all played under Colley) and I think Clintwoods staff all are from Clintwood. Both programs have very different styles of Offense; Haysi is multiple and is rooted in Bobby Bowdens approach, while Clintwood is all I-Formation and a lot of their base plays are based in the Wing-T. Defensively the 2 are a little more congruent as both base out of the 4-4, primarily read and react.

The differences are strong and obvious but both staffs are made up of great guys. Hopefully it will work out well but it will be a struggle. You will not find 2 classier guys than Mullins and Colley and their staffs fall in line behind them. I believe it will work out, I believe in the Wolfpack! This school means so much to the county, I think the #1 goal is success and I believe that will be the result.

I think if 1 staff was "chosen" over the other I think the backlash would destroy the program before it ever got started. We have to merge staffs and rely on their quality as men.

I do believe Ridgeview has a great deal of potential in all sports but especially in football. 

All of this is simply my speculation, nothing has been decided yet to my knowledge.

Clintwoods Grant is a Ohio transplant the rest started out at Clintwood but several have been on the coaching staffs of other teams as well.

I think between Varcity, B-teams, JV and Middleschool there will be plenty of need for coaches from both schools.

I think the biggist challange will be getting everyone on the same page with offseason workouts for next season

That is very true Counts. There are positions for everyone and I dont think any feelings would be hurt if they were assigned to JV or as a position coach over a Varsity Coordinator position. 

The decision of HC needs to be made by the time students come back from Winter break. That way the off season weightlifitng gets off to a good start, a staff can be assembled and a system is in place before 7on7s begin. 

I cant speak for the Haysi but Clintwoods basic system is preatty simple I honistly do not see it being very hard to pick up. As for clashing of the minds I honistly don't think it will be a problem past all the coaches in the bleachers that deside that they do not like change one way or the other

Im pretty sure the play calling systems are dramatically different; I believe Clintwood uses a numerical system(ex. 976 would be a play) with the OC telling the QB the formation, as where Haysi is very different (41 Lead would be the play thats sent in by a runner while the formation is signaled in). To me there is less of a learning curve with Haysis system and its more versatile (just about anything anything from any set can be ran in Haysis Offense).  But all of that can be settled pretty easily.

The problem will be when Colley throws the ball 5 times in a row from 4 wide shotgun or when Mullins runs Counter Offtackle 5 times in a row from Pro I. In either situation half of the crowd isint gonna be happy. Honestly tho I believe most Haysi fans would like to see the offense lean on the run a little more and I know a lot of Clintwood fans have wished Mullins would open it up a little more. Hopefully we can come to a happy medium.

You are part right calling a play involves calling the Recever set (i.e. "1" for Pro right) the Back Placement (i.e. "I" for I "AI" fullback offset to the right "C" Tailback lined up as Right Wing ect.) and the Play 44 (40's are the lead series so there is no Tag unless there is some specal twist to that play) So a typacal play call would be (1 AI 44) which is short and simple but packed with information. As for passing I will say I prefer Coach Meades Passing Tree as it seemed to be more flexable than Clintwoods current passing game and IMHO Haysi's passing game is more flexable still.

Running the ball vs throwing it will be the big thing that the fans in the stands will have to get used to. (As a Clintwood guy I cant help but think that it would be nice if our best pass play year in and year out was something other than the draw LOL)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Ridgeview is in the Mountain District and Conference 40.

So Lee, GC, Union, Central, Battle for sure. Im hoping for Richlands, Lebanon, Abingdon and were too close not to not play 1-2 WV schools. But who knows what the schedule will look like.

In the future I would like to see tough out of state competition; Tennessee High, Sullivan South, Bluefield, etc. Pretty much any school under 1,000 students and within 3 hours drive.

Pics of the new school. Lookin nice,

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6l2ygd6ckyhk1xv/AAD76jgrMke6Cs5CesVPo0rFa?n=25298518#/

Nice looking digs. You mentioned getting some Tennessee schools on the schedule. This is a good year to do that as TN is doing a complete realignment of their conferences next year and there will be a lot of teams looking to fill out their schedule.

Ive heard rumor of what the schedule looks like, no suprises in terms of strong competition(some good teams on there) but 1 suprise in terms of weak competition. The schedule I saw didnt have dates and only 9 teams so its far from official and I wont post it on here.

Im VERY excited for Mountain District play, cant wait

Are they going to do a community open house or anything? I would like to go up and check it out. From everything I have seen Ridgeview > Union/Central in terms of the buildings, and those two arent too shabby

I think that they are going to have one sometime in the spring.

was some new pics up online yesterday plus I saw some of the new football field/track and softball field and it looks really nice (personaly i am amazed by the amout of flat land on site I honstly would not have thought that there was that much Flat land anywhere in Dickenson County LOL

It does make me wonder if it will be very Windy at the site

i bet it will be windy, i live just across the mountain, wind can be blowing bad up here, go to foot of mountain...... nothing...... i would imagine it would be the same at school..that flat land was the reason, the family fought so hard to keep it.....

• 2 weeks later...