NEW RIDGE VIEW HIGH

cwood78

Very Nice !  looks like they did a first class job there !  Something they can be proud of.

For the other posters on here from Tazewell co,  Graham, Richlands and Tazewell,  do any of you  think Tazewell Co will ever consolidate ?

Very Nice ! looks like they did a first class job there ! Something they can be proud of.

For the other posters on here from Tazewell co, Graham, Richlands and Tazewell, do any of you think Tazewell Co will ever consolidate ?

Yes, but it's farther away than I thought 10 years ago. When (not if) the populations decline, it will absolutely happen.

Imo when Tazewell Co consolidates the number of schools will depend on the number of students in the high school student body.

The high school student body is what, around 1,800 in TC right now? When that drops to 1,200 I could see a single school in the Tazewell area being a good solution.

The problem is some people who go to richlands come as far as shortts gap. That's a 40 plus minute drive to tazewell. And people from say abbs valley go to graham. Probably also 40 minutes from tazewell. Almost impossible for bus routes to work

Compared to the times in Dickenson and Lee, thats not bad. Look at what Buchanan Co is facing with their drive times.

Those outlying areas will have to have an "express route", High School kids only, to cut the times down.

Lee, Tazewell and Buchanan all have 4 Lane roads, Dickenson does not. If we can do it then anyone can do it. Other than maybe Scott Co, the Northern half of the county is very rural with the majority of the population located in the Gate City area. Thats a nightmare

Compared to the times in Dickenson and Lee, thats not bad. Look at what Buchanan Co is facing with their drive times.

Those outlying areas will have to have an "express route", High School kids only, to cut the times down.

Lee, Tazewell and Buchanan all have  Lane roads, Dickenson does not. If we can do it then anyone can do it. Other than maybe Scott Co, the Northern half of the county is very rural with the majority of the population located in the Gate City area. Thats a nightmare

People have mentioned consolidation in Scott County for a long time, but it isn't feasible without going to a single school.  Many say combine Twin Springs and Rye Cove, but in doing so that would be combining the two furthest points in the country together, with 2 lane roads being the main connections.   If Scott is ever to consolidate it will have to be one school IMO with the campus residing just outside Gate City, either at the 72/71 intersection or just outside the quarry pond off 23.

Consolidation always brings unintended consequences, travel being a major one.  

Kids in remote parts of Carroll County have well over an hour by bus each way.  I know, I was one of those kids getting on the bus at 6:45 am and still missing homeroom.  This plays huge roles in athletic/extra curricular participation at Carroll.  The school system needs to be diligent in providing transportation for practices.  Carroll County has never gotten this right in my opinion.  Activity buses only run to the nearest elementary school in relation to the high school which leaves approximately two thirds of the county uncovered.  Most parents in rural counties such as Carroll work outside the county and already have exorbitant travel times for work.  Planning travel for their kids practices is more than they can pull together.  Without school system help, kids who would normally participate in athletics simply can't.

Most of the counties in southwest Virginia value athletics/extra curricular activities more than Carroll.  It is possible for parents to band together and form carpools to get kids travel issues taken care of.  That would require much more foresight and planning than most parents in Carroll County are capable of.  

Just saying!

I don't ever see Tazewell Co. going to "one" high school. Two, likely...Tazewell Co. East and Tazewell Co. West. Possible names for the schools are unique and endless...as well as nicknames/mascots...

I used to think that, but I can't reconcile:

(1) Where do you build "Tazewell West"; and

(2) What do you do with the Bishop/Gratton kids for "Tazewell East";