NEW RIDGE VIEW HIGH

cwood78

I would think a school would need 8-10 acres, HHS sits on just a couple.

The location of HHS is THE reason the school is in bad condition. It sets on a fault line and that has caused structural issues with the school. No need to put another building there

The amount of acreage to adequately build a new school is vastly different than the acreage required to adequately build a new school.  The guidelines and regulations in place provide for some pretty intense design constraints. One such constraint is access to campus.  Two distinct entrances and exits are required for any new school construction leading to two different parts of campus.  It is preferred those access points lead to two different highways but that is not always feasible.  

The state and federal governments also have minimum standards that must be met for such things as stormwater collection, sewage collection, public water, communications, condition of maintained highways, parking, lighting, vegetation, landscaping, and the list goes on and on and on.

The new stormwater regulations that went into effect July 1st would add several acres to any site development project.  The larger the site being developed, the more acreage would be needed to comply.  If public access facilities would be required such as football stadiums, baseball fields, gyms or auditoriums, they would be required to have separate parking and access points than the general student body.  Many of these regulations can be seen in the photo on the Dickenson County Public Schools website.

https://branchgroup.app.box.com/s/v00oe753tb2e99ttycck/1/2644060683/22542914485/1

Notice the parking facilities removed from the main school buildings serving the athletic fields, distinctly different access points behind and in front of the school and the stormwater detention pond above the baseball field.

Heard today that the Daniel Boone series was scratched, so maybe GC and Richlands is still on.

I certainly hope so! This is not a rivalry that needs to end. Gates are huge for both teams. Usually a good game. No need to end it.

I wish they had come up with a better name than Ridgeview... We have a Ridgeview in Augusta County (Stuarts Draft) that is a private Christian school and schools like Clintwood and Haysi deserve something better than that generic name, but I will enjoy following them next year!

I wish they had come up with a better name than Ridgeview... We have a Ridgeview in Augusta County (Stuarts Draft) that is a private Christian school and schools like Clintwood and Haysi deserve something better than that generic name, but I will enjoy following them next year!

don't know about Augusta County, but we are on a ridge,  (slash mountain )and we have a view.... and a good one at that..........folks around here took a vote, it is what it is.... i wanted mountaineers,....but my favorite was Woodsmen, Axe for helmet logo...LOL. but i knew haysi and ervinton folks, woulda raised hell over that one....woops!!! got my horse before cart.... i was looking for DICKENSON COUNTY Mountaineers, woodsmen...etc...

I was all about the mascot being Trailblazers (with a plaque in the school supporting Colley and Mullins the 2 earliest settlers in the area, Colley Haysi area and Mullins Clintwood area). No one seemed to like that. 

The School Board didnt want to call it Dickenson County High because everyone would refer to it as Dick. High(thats really the reason). Ridgeview is generic but its ok. Personally I like Pine View(Pine Mtn is out behind the school), Apex or Pinnacle but whatever. I also liked just calling it DC(for Dickenson County) but that wasnt popular either. 

Heard today that the Daniel Boone series was scratched, so maybe GC and Richlands is still on.

I think they was dropping Bluefield for Daniel Boone and Richlands for Ridgeview. Now it's Lebanon for Ridgeview and looking like Bluefield and Richlands will stay on the schedule. Lebanon is the logical choice. They did try to drop GC the last time around.

Great competition, big fan bases, great gate,  and the travel wouldn't be bad,  it sure sounds like a win win game to me also.  I hope it does work out !  Does anyone know if it is in the works for them to play each other ?

Last I heard Ridgeview was at 9 games and was having a hard time finding a 10th. They desperately need a tough out of district opponent

If Richlands isn't on that schedule already, then there no reason why they should be having a hard time. Lol. I'm sure we would drop LB for a Ridgeview series.

I think it would have been cool if they had taken something from both schools and formed Haywood High school... I've never been a fan of consolidated school names though, it takes a while for them to grow on me, but eventually they usually do.  I'm going to miss the green wave as a mascot though, as it's one of the few more unique ones I have seen. 

God,   I hope the dates will/would work.  I would love to see the blues drop LB and that drive.  But just because both might want it,  and both may have a open date doesn't mean they can work it out.  The dates for both teams have to align,  which can be a lot tougher then it seems.  but even if they don't get it worked out for next year,  I would bet that this is a game that will happen in the future and has the possibility to become something like the GC and Richlands series is now.  Just to many good reasons for it not to be.

Conflicts in dates is the only logical reason for this to not happen. Like Tiger said its only a matter of time either way. I believe this would turn into a Rivalry pretty quickly and much like our games vs. Gate City and Union. No matter who you pull for they are just great High School Football games !

I'm not a fan of the Ridgeview name. Super generic. I preferred numerous names over that but the taxpayers got no say in this. I really liked Skyline High or Havenwood High. I would have been ok with either Mount or Grand Vista High. Even Ridgemont high would've been better. Fast Times! However, I do like "Wolfpack" as the nickname.