SWVA quality

redtiger

Is it just me or is some quality football being played this year in SWVA?

in 2A Richlands, GC, and Union seem to be on top. Lee and Marion are just a step behind. Tazewell is working some things out but may get it turned back around. Central has been a nice surprise. Lebanon and VA High aint bad either. And if we want to push swva a little farter East Glenvar is playin some good ball and Giles is a title contender again this season.

in A Honaker, Northwood and Fort Chiswell are undefeated. Haysi has 1 loss and a ton of potential. Hurley and TV are playing well. People are overlooking a very solid Clintwood team. GW is turning it on. Auburn is having a good season(are they still undefeated?).

Maybe its just me but SWVA seems to be very competitive. Idk if more teams are up or if more are down this season. Hopefully up

I'd be floored if the AA state title didn't go to Giles this year, last week's hiccup notwithstanding.  In the race for 2nd in the West, it's really going to come down to Glenvar and MAYBE Lee if they can stay undefeated.  And that doesn't count AA East, which has 4 teams who could play in a state title game (Clarke Co., Wilson Mem., Riverheads, Goochland).  

As for A, there's a LOT of good football being played in the Northern Neck District this season.  Parry McCluer's having a solid season.  Altavista has more raw talent than any school in SWVA A-ball.  On a state level, I see it rough sledding for SWVA.

you discounting Richlands and GC in AA West?

A West has a tough road ahead, thats for sure but thats every year. When East/West play the West team will face a level of athleticism they haven't seen all season. Its just the nature of things.

Giles/Riverheads would be an incredible game. I would rather see 2 West teams tho

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or is some quality football being played this year in SWVA?

in 2A Richlands, GC, and Union seem to be on top. Lee and Marion are just a step behind. Tazewell is working some things out but may get it turned back around. Central has been a nice surprise. Lebanon and VA High aint bad either. And if we want to push swva a little farter East Glenvar is playin some good ball and Giles is a title contender again this season.

in A Honaker, Northwood and Fort Chiswell are undefeated. Haysi has 1 loss and a ton of potential. Hurley and TV are playing well. People are overlooking a very solid Clintwood team. GW is turning it on. Auburn is having a good season(are they still undefeated?).

Maybe its just me but SWVA seems to be very competitive. Idk if more teams are up or if more are down this season. Hopefully up

You can't really use this to compare to the rest of VA but I found it interesting that one of the worst teams in Northeast Tenn this year (Sullivan North which is at 1 win 6 losses had competitive games with both 6-1 Union (27-13 loss) and 6-1 Lee High (62-44 loss). That tells me that while things may be "competitive" this isn't a real high level of football being played in SWVA this year.

You can't really use this to compare to the rest of VA but I found it interesting that one of the worst teams in Northeast Tenn this year (Sullivan North which is at 1 win 6 losses had competitive games with both 6-1 Union (27-13 loss) and 6-1 Lee High (62-44 loss). That tells me that while things may be "competitive" this isn't a real high level of football being played in SWVA this year.

Glad to read your high level expertise about our football in SWVA! You sound like you are from Roanoke. I will save your post for my future references in picking winners. I would be crazy to go with a team in the pitiful areas of SWVA

I think the top teams are good and real state title contenders. Giles and GC are legit in 2A. Haysi, Honaker and maybe a few others are legit in 1A.  But overall I think you are right.

As far as SN, they lost to a VERY GOOD Elizabethton team 33-14, thats comparable to their games against Lee and Union.

Glad to read your high level expertise about our football in SWVA! You sound like you are from Roanoke. I will save your post for my future references in picking winners. I would be crazy to go with a team in the pitiful areas of SWVA

High level expertise! Now that is a joke right there. Just a football fan who has roots in both SWVA and Northeast Tenn.

So Tiger you going to discount Richlands also? I'm curious as to your logic they are not legit.

Then you include your team. I would like to know how you come to the posting Haysi is legit and Richlands isn't. Is it strength of schedule or offense and defense or what. Not being a jerk here.....just curious.

I think the top teams are good and real state title contenders. Giles and GC are legit in 2A. Haysi, Honaker and maybe a few others are legit in 1A. But overall I think you are right.

As far as SN, they lost to a VERY GOOD Elizabethton team 33-14, thats comparable to their games against Lee and Union.

SN lost to Elizabethton 55-20 and were helped to that showing quite a bit by the refs. At least 2 TD's were greatly aided by penalties. Even though they lost 21-0 I was very impressed by Gate City against Sullivan South. The Blue Devils should do well in the playoffs and I'll be there to cheer them on if my Rebels are not playing.

High level expertise! Now that is a joke right there. Just a football fan who has roots in both SWVA and Northeast Tenn.

Welcome to the board by the way. Didn't mean to dig at you over the SWVA football comment. Just love our football teams here in these parts. Over the past decade or so there have been some great teams this side of Roanoke.

Gate City

Giles

Haysi

Honaker

Richlands

My opinion these same teams with the addition of Lee and Union can beat any team they may face for the remainder of the season.

I didnt mean it as a slight to Richlands. I would say Giles and GC are the favorites of AA West, Richlands is right behind them but I wouldnt say they are favorites. The storm is still growing, They are a F4... for now.

As far as Haysi being legit, thats in A. Big difference between A ball and AA ball. I see Haysi as a A contender but a lot of people do not, the Tigers can play underdogs again

I got the Sullivan North / Elizabethton score from maxpreps, if its wrong my bad.

I didnt mean it as a slight to Richlands. I would say Giles and GC are the favorites of AA West, Richlands is right behind them but I wouldnt say they are favorites. The storm is still growing, They are a F4... for now.

As far as Haysi being legit, thats in A. Big difference between A ball and AA ball. I see Haysi as a A contender but a lot of people do not, the Tigers can play underdogs again

I got the Sullivan North / Elizabethton score from maxpreps, if its wrong my bad.

I feel like if Richlands and Gate City played this Friday night, Richlands wins in a similar score line to the week 1 score. We had not at all came together as a team. We have now, and we are still getting better each week. I think Giles, Glenvar, and Richlands are the 3 to beat.

Richlands developing only improves SWVAs chances of bringing home a state title. I hope to see 1 or 2 titles in far SWVA this season. I think the region has the teams to do it

If there are state titles for SWVA it would be in 2A or 3A   I think Alta VIsta has the 1A title as long as they remain healthy

In talking to some of the Galax coaches this past weekend, they feel Glenvar is superior to Giles.  They meet head to head the final week of the regular season, so it is yet to be determined.  Gate City and Richlands will also be factors in the 2A West playoffs.

The 1A state title is Altavista's to lose.  I have never seen a 1A or 2A school with that type of athleticism, speed and talent.  Too bad the coach is such an asshat!

The Blues have improved a lot since the beginning of the season and with the addition of the kid from Florida next week and Faris coming back by the end of the season,  that should help them improve even more for a run in the playoffs.  ( as long as they can stay fairly healthy,  which is true of all football teams).  The addition of those 2 should add more speed & 2 more athletes to an already hard hitting well coached team.  ( just a bit biased....lol )    Of course we will have to see just how good and how well the new kid gels with the team and how they use him,  but if he does have some speed and turns out to be a good player,  then he will help make them even better,  but we will have to see. 

Gate City has the athletes, tradition, coaching, and fan support to make a deep run,  but the problem for both the blues and the devils is going to be the fact they will have to go through Giles,  and that will be a TALL order.  Not saying either can't beat them,  as I believe that as great as Giles is,  they are not quite as good as last years team,  but they are still apear to be the best,  at least on this end of the state and as of right now.

Haysi is well coached and I know I dont over look them since they are coached by one of the area's better coaches........Colley.  He is a very good coach especially on the offensive side of the ball,  and Honaker is Honaker,  they have been very good year in and year out..............I would say except for a year or 2 since Heath Miller played for them.

Doug H has taken a lot of criticism over the years, especially the years before the Heath M. days,   but he and his staff have done a fantastic job and for the last several years and has them in the playoffs and actually going deep into the playoffs so they are always a threat to make a run.

It's going to be a lot of fun to see the rest of this year play out !

1A is definetely Altavistas to lose. Probably the most athletic team ive seen in D1/2, A/AA, their speed is very good(JIB had some teams a few years ago that would be on par imo), they are bigger than they first appear and they are very talented but they do have their weaknesses. Thornhill is the best player I have personally seen in high school. Whoever has to play them from the West will have their hands full.

Its gonna be a lot of fun!

I don't know why we keep leaving Marion out of this conversation. I guess they are right where they want to be. If they win out they will probably get at least one home game and maybe more.

I honestly like our chances to win out and finish 9-1 and hopefully grab a top 4 seed and I might be wrong and we lose a few more who knows I think we can play with anybody around this area and I don't say that very often from year to year

I don't know why we keep leaving Marion out of this conversation. I guess they are right where they want to be. If they win out they will probably get at least one home game and maybe more.

Thanks Razor, I like it when we fly under the radar. I'm awaiting the match up at home with Union to see where we stand. The playoffs will be interesting to say the least.

As a Richlands fan, (assuming a win against Grundy)  how that will affect Richlands seeding due to lack of bonus points from Grundy due to them not winning any games thus far?  That could drop us a spot or two depending on how the rest of the season plays out.  No disrespect to Grundy at all!!!