District Champs

redtiger

A while back some of us traced the history of the BDD and who won the district each year, in another thread(Union/Gate City) swvaoutdoors1 has done the same thing for the LPD. So im curious, which team leads each district in titles?

BDD, LPD, Cumberland, Clinch Mountain/Mountain, Hogo, Mountain Empire, 3 Rivers SW and Highlands. 

BDD - Haysi 19.  Honaker is 2nd  but idk how many

LPD/D8/WCL - Powell Valley 26  (I also included Big Stone Gap and East Stone Gap as PV), Appalachia is 2nd with 21

SW

Cumberland

Clinch Mtn/Mountain

Hogo

ME

3R

Highlands

CVD

lets throw the old NRD in there if anyone has info for it

Here's the listing of Hogo teams listed by number of championships won. I'm missing the championships from 1975, '76, and '77, so if anyone knows who won those championships, it would make the list complete. I would be willing to bet that they were won by either Chilhowie or R.B. Worthy. Also, I counted a shared District Championship as a full championship, and the numbers in parenthesis are the number of seasons that team played as a member of the Hogo.

Chilhowie - 13 (44)
George Wythe - 12 (24)

Lebanon - 8 (14)

Rural Retreat - 4 (42)

Patrick Henry - 2 (25)

Holston - 2 (44)

Northwood - 1 (26)

Honaker - 1 (9)
John Battle - 1 (14)
R.B. Worthy/Saltville - 1 (16)

Rich Valley - 1 (16)

Castlewood - 0 (18)
Marion - 0 (1)

A big thanks to HogoOnline, because a good chunk of these I picked up from Hogoheegee.com

I think Virginia High probably lead the Highlands District; I know they dominated the final years of its existence. Obviously, GC has dominated the Clinch Mountain/Mountain District

Not sure who in all was in the old CVD. I do remember that Garden, Whitewood, St. Paul and Pocahontas were in there. Maybe Honaker, Castlewood, Hurley maybe? 

Castlewood, Lebanon, Honaker, St. Paul, Twin Springs, Pocahontas, Whitewood, Garden, Hurley, Council, and Haysi. Honaker, Casltewood, and Lebanon left for the Hogo and Twin Springs went to the Cumberland and the remaining schools became the BDD.

I think Virginia High probably lead the Highlands District; I know they dominated the final years of its existence. Obviously, GC has dominated the Clinch Mountain/Mountain District

The Highlands was pathetic in its final years. .500 or worse won it virtually every year. The VHSL kindly put that diseased dog out of its misery.

The Mountain District began in 2013. Union won the first. Gate City is the probable district champion this season.

Clinch Mountain Champions

2007-Lebanon

2008-Gate City

2009-Gate City

2010-Gate City

2011-Gate City

2012-John Battle

Gate City may have led the Highlands.  They had 9 district championships, Virginia High had 5 or so I believe, Lee High had 3.

Im not sure exactly. The BDD came into existence in '78(I think) so '77 would be the last year of the CVD. Before that Haysi started in the LPD so im not sure

Not exactly sure on when the CVD actually came in to existence but a good educated guess would have been in 1970 when the VHSL had its big realignment in to A, AA, and AAA

Don't count all of these as fact but here is what I have for the Cumberland which I believe was formed in 1970.  Any year I knew for sure as a tie I put the team that received the higher seed in the playoffs with the title after power points came into play. 

Pennington Gap: 1971, 1973, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987

Jonesville: 1970, 1978, 1979-co, 1981, 1982, 1986

Rye Cove 1972, 1975, 1979-co, 1988, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

Thomas Walker 1991, 1992, 1996, 2008, 2009

Twin Springs 1980, 1989, 1990, 1994, 1995

Ervinton 1993, 2006

St. Paul 2000, 2001, 2007

Coeburn 2010

Eastside 2012

Clintwood 2013

***corrected per blackshirt