1A West

RCITYHOO

Roanoke Times dosen't keep us informed very well on teams west of GW so not for sure what's down that way except we did line up for 2 qts aganist Northwood and I was impressed with the power of their offense it was very strong as in we gonna run it here stop us if you can. Defense had hard time stopping us (Radford) at that time i could have seen a 40-39 game. Now to the best teams, I've seen GW and Fort not that impressed both can beat Radford and we can beat them as well. Galax in my mind is the best best team I've seen this year. Is there anybody else down west that can beat Galax?

Have to agree with UVA,  Haysi and Honaker are the 2 best A teams this side of Roanoke and can probably play with just about any A team in the state.

I haven't seen Haysi,  but i know Honaker can run the ball and play D which is a good way to go deep into the playoffs.

Haysi, Honaker and in any given game Clintwood.

Haysi - Deep group of Backs/Receivers, strong group of Linemen with only 1 first year starter. QB is solid all around and makes good decisions. Very versatile Offense, like to do a little bit of everything. Defensively Haysi has enough size and is quick/fast for a A team.

Honaker - Typical Honaker team. Offensively good size up front. They like inside power runs with an occasional counter and QB Keeper. Passing game is VERY good, #81(TE/WR) is a dangerous weapon with good hands and size. RB isint big but is strong and runs hard. QB is a great all around athlete and throws the ball very well on the run.

Clintwood - Not a typical Clintwood team. A little small on the Line but tough. Very good athlete at QB. Versatile RB who runs inside, outside and catches well. They have probably the best duo of WRs ive seen in A ball in a few years, they arent big but are great athletes and do everything well(Turner #5 is probably the best athlete in SWVA).

Someone want to detail Fort, Galax, Radford, Northwood and anyone else they see as contenders?

Fort Chiswell has progressively gotten worse throughout the course of the season.  A typical Tom Hale characteristic.  I said it before the season started and continue to stand by my opinion.  Fort Chiswell will begin much as they were in past seasons but fundamentals and lack of coaching will begin to erode the product on the field.  Fort Chiswell has and will always have talent.  A lack of proper coaching and technique has already started showing up on the field.

Galax is only slightly more balanced than last year.  Still a very young team with some senior leadership.  They are probably a year away in my opinion.  They will continue to have games like Giles, where they could have and should have won.  They will also continue to have games like East Mont where they should have won by 4 scores and allowed an inferior team to hang around, eventually winning by a single point.  Friday night against Fort Chiswell was much like the East Mont game.  Galax came out of the locker room and jumped all over Fort only to relax, turn the football over on the first 4 possessions of the second half and allow them to somewhat get back into it.

Fort will make the playoffs but I foresee an early exit.  Galax will make a run much like last season, but will eventually lose to a superior, more balanced team.

GW - very quick for an A team. Not a lot of size but 2 quick Wings and the QB moved very well. They execute their offense very well. Defensively small but played very well against a power rushing team(NW). I was pretty impressed with them overall, have imnproved since the preseason scrimmage imo.

Northwood - Strong inside running game. 33 looked the part of a player who can carry a offense. Offense was limited to offtackle runs but they are VERY GOOD at those offtackle runs. OLine had some size. Defensively played well but arent quick and struggle in pass coverage.

We (Radford) did have a hard time stopping Northwood's running game but on the other side we moved the ball with ease. GW on the other hand outside of Skeens played not so well aganist us, final score being 35-14 I really thought this one would go to Northwood.

The game was closer than the score, GW has a good team with a good bit of speed.

I sat close to the Haysi contingent last night and from my perspective, the score was very indicative of the game. NW doesn't throw the ball well at all and don't have the means to play catch up. They are big and physical but GWs Dline and backers played very well.

We (Radford) did have a hard time stopping Northwood's running game but on the other side we moved the ball with ease. GW on the other hand outside of Skeens played not so well aganist us, final score being 35-14 I really thought this one would go to Northwood.

I can't argue with your assessment of GW in that Radford game. It left a lot to be desired on my end, and had a feeling it would be a long season. Things have started to come together offensively, and while Skeens is still the workhorse, it's not all on his shoulders. Phillips continues to run hard and find ways to contribute. Moore has always been a dangerous runner, but his throwing had been elevated quite a bit from last season and continues to improve every week. Duncan has made the biggest leap since the beginning of the year, and is forcing defenses to respect him as a receiver. It's only a matter of time before Kegley makes a key play for us, also. Harner's offense isn't leaps and bounds different from what we are accustomed to seeing, but from what I understand there are some different assignments and such that probably took the kids a little time to get used to and not quite second nature on the field.

I do agree with gwmaroon. I do think we are a step behind Haysi, Honaker, and Galax as of right now, though. I'm not sure we'll catch up come week 12 either. This team is still a little bit of a mystery to me, admittedly. It's been fun to watch the process play out and see things gel from week to week, however.

Sorry if i offended had no intention of it if i did. That's why you play 10 games, a team should get better. Was not saying GW was a bad team cause i felt they were better than what we saw at Radford, but that was what i saw there. Skeens the best back i've seen this year(play Giles in a couple weeks so that could change) felt like if a couple guys step up that would make Skeens better and make GW a real good offensive team. Belive Galax team to beat, good players, great coach makes for really good team.

I'm not saying that GW wasn't the better team, just not 29 points better. IMO.  No excuse, but I would have like to have seen them play Friday night.  It might have been a different outcome or it could have been more of the same. You are correct NW does not throw the ball well at all, it may not be a factor the rest of the season but come playoff time it will hurt them, just like last night.

GW earned the win, on D they got NW behind the chains and on O they moved the ball at will.  It was a good win for them.

Sorry if i offended had no intention of it if i did. That's why you play 10 games, a team should get better. Was not saying GW was a bad team cause i felt they were better than what we saw at Radford, but that was what i saw there. Skeens the best back i've seen this year(play Giles in a couple weeks so that could change) felt like if a couple guys step up that would make Skeens better and make GW a real good offensive team. Belive Galax team to beat, good players, great coach makes for really good team.

No offense taken at all! I actually agree completely with your assessment after that game. I had a ton of concerns about us when we left Radford. I can't blame you for what you said lol

I'm not saying that GW wasn't the better team, just not 29 points better. IMO.  No excuse, but I would have like to have seen them play Friday night.  It might have been a different outcome or it could have been more of the same. You are correct NW does not throw the ball well at all, it may not be a factor the rest of the season but come playoff time it will hurt them, just like last night.

GW earned the win, on D they got NW behind the chains and on O they moved the ball at will.  It was a good win for them.

I'm in complete agreement. I think if the game were played Friday night then the results would/could have been much different. Whos call was it to play last night?

Northwood's principal, he called it off around 2pm Friday.  The forecast at the time was calling for thunder and lighting, (i will give him that).  IMO I think he was thinking that would give the Olinger boy 3 more days of rest from his injury.  A sloppy wet field would have (most likely) slowed GW's speed advantage and I don't think it would have affected NW's offense that much, seeing as how it is a 3 yards and a cloud of dust type.  But is wasn't played Friday and all you are left with are what if's and if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump it's ass everytime it jumped.

Northwood cannot throw the football or defend it for that matter. They may be a 1 and done in the playoffs. I watched the game last night and I thought NW was a big team but they can only run the football. The lack of kicking game also hurts the Panthers. If NW would of been able to put points on the board on that first drive it might of been a different story. I was more impressed with #9 and #2 for NW than I was with Olinger. NW works really slow and they eat too much clock. The first half last night had 3 combined offensive possessions. If NW gets behind more than 7 early in the 4th quarter I don't see them having enough time to come back.

I was really hoping Northwood would've beat George Wythe.  Still a good story for that size of a school to have that record.  It was so nice to see Holston finally get the job done last year against George Wythe.  We miss that coach and team this year!

I would love to see Galax but looking at the rest of their schedule I doubt I will get to.

Jethro have you seen Haysi, Clintwood or GW? Just wondering how you think they stack up against your A West favorites

As I've said all year Northwood was overrated and last night they got exposed, they play in a weak district and they play a very weak non district schedule, and for the record I am not a Northwood hater I am an Alum (Class Of 89).

I was really hoping Northwood would've beat George Wythe.  Still a good story for that size of a school to have that record.  It was so nice to see Holston finally get the job done last year against George Wythe.  We miss that coach and team this year!

Sooo do you think that "THE COACH" would be doing better this year? I mean he is still in the press box with headphones on. How much better could he do if he were on the sidelines?

I think not having him there for the day to day preparations hurts.  However, Holston is rebuilding now after a long successful stint under The Coach.  You can't argue with his success.  Two region titles.

I think not having him there for the day to day preparations hurts.  However, Holston is rebuilding now after a long successful stint under The Coach.  You can't argue with his success.  Two region titles.

i understand that you are proud of your boy and rightfully so, but the question is what games would the cavs have won if he was still HC?