Graham @ Bland Co.

GMan

When it was first posted it was a running line.

Bland players fly to the ball and are very aggressive on both sides. Attrition and depth are obvious factors but I expect Bland to make it a game. Not ready to pick the bears to win but they will come to play.

• 3 years later...
On 10/20/2014 at 4:09 PM, UVAObserver said:

I'll say it. If Graham loses this, Williams deserves to be excused at the end of this season.

Graham SHOULD NEVER LOSE to Bland County in football.  Ever.  Effing EVER.  

It's his 4th year.  The seniors now have had Williams for their entire time at Graham.  The 4th year should be the one where the team is performing at a level that should be expected for the foreseeable future.  It's not as if we're talking about replacing a coach in a Tazewell-esque time frame.  This team's staring down the barrel at 3-7 at BEST, which is Graham's 2nd-worst season since the 1980s.  That's bad enough, but the losses have been wholly uncompetitive.  It's not like the 1987 and 1988 seasons, where the records were poor but the teams were losing the games hard-fought by close margins.  But Bland County should never be able to touch Graham, even in Graham's weakest years.  

Hypocrite 

It wouldn’t be the coach’s fault. Not his fault the talent isn’t there. 

25 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Hypocrite 

It wouldn’t be the coach’s fault. Not his fault the talent isn’t there. 

LMAO.  Man, I shudder to think of the time it took you to (1) dig through 11K+ posts to (2) find one where I was justifiably critical of Graham’s coaching administration.  If a simple “why can’t you just be happy” is enough cause for you to go to those lengths, then you probably need to take a step away from this board and reevaluate your life.  I’m serious and in no way joking.  You need help, and I pray you get it.

Not to mention that these situations are entirely dissimilar.  Gate City’s kids haven’t at all quit under Akers; Graham’s kids did quit under Williams and publicly admitted as such after the season.  Gate City doesn’t have the athletes to compete; Graham did, which makes close games against schools like Bland County all the more inexcusable.  Gate City’s problems aren’t entirely schematic; Graham’s problems were almost entirely schematic, especially considering that Salem 55 defense which was an unmitigated disaster.  

I also recall that being the year Gate City RUTS against Graham in the first round of the playoffs.  Boy, how quickly the tides can turn.  Now it’s Graham that is honing in on it’s 3rd straight 9-1 regular season, having lost 1 to team on the Virginia side of the line in the last 3 regular seasons.  Gate City had more losses in the first 6 weeks of the regular season that Graham has had in 3 calendar years.  Seems to me to be a pretty damning indictment that the freshmen and sophomores under Williams made such a quick turnaround.  Gate City will not have that, which would show any reasonable GC fan that the fault isn’t as much with Akers as you all care to believe.  In reality, Gate City is 1 bad hire away from becoming the Tazewell of the 2020s.  I hope it doesn’t happen for the kids, but a tiny sliver of me wouldn’t mind it for “fans” like you.