Brackets, predictions, and everything 1A West playoffs!

redtiger

Well the second part of the season begins this week and here are the brackets and my thoughts on the games and the potential 2nd round match ups. 

Of course this is assuming VHSLHelpers seeds are correct(I trust that they are).

1A West

1 Honaker 16 Twin Springs(Beatdown)                                   

8 Radford 9 Hurley(Hurley will just be overmatched but im pullin for the Rebels!)

4 George Wythe 13 Rural Retreat(all Maroons)                            

5 Fort Chiswell 12 Auburn(I wonder how FC will do without their RB?)                                                   

2 Haysi 15 JI Burton(Haysi still has some payback saved up for the Raiders but JIB upset Cw last season in the 1st round last season)

7 Northwood 10 Covington(I think Covington upsets a struggling NW team in the Battle of the Cats)                                  

3 Galax 14 Twin Valley(Congratulations to TV on a good season, now get out the basketballs)

6 Clintwood 11 Patrick Henry(PH will come to play but NO WAY the Greenwave lose what will probably be the last game at Ralphs House)           

So I have Honaker, Radford, GW, FC, Haysi, Covington, Galax and Clintwood make it out of the 1st round. That sets up some interesting 2nd round matchups;

Honaker/Radford, Radford is a speed team and I wonder how they will play on the turf at Fuller Field.

GW/Fort could be a classic(a lot has changed since they played early in the season), looks like a very even match up.

Haysi/Covington, the Cougars upset the Orange Tigers last season in the 2nd round, im curious to see how they do with the Red Tigers this season

Galax/Clintwood, a rematch of the 2011 State Title game. 

I didn't know about Clintwood playing their last game there. Are they building new stadium when they merge with Haysi?

Yep. Go to the Dickenson county schools page and you'll see the new tuef. Looks reallllll good.

Well I don't know the details of what conference they will play in but that should be a pretty darn good football team! If PH can come out and handle the emotion early and play mistake free then I give them a chance. If not then it could be a long night. Either way I'm just proud of them for the season. Plus I've never seen a game at Clintwood so I guess the last one is a good one to see

Radford scares me a little in the second round for my tigers! I will Def be a rebel fan when they play. The red tigers better be ready for some back yard football if they play Covington. They run some crazy offense.

Radford is a tough draw, so is Covington. IF we play them in the 2nd round I was gonna ask you Honaker guys what kind of Offense Covington runs. I listened to the radio guys last year in the Honaker/Covington game and they had no idea what they were running. Couldnt even describe the plays lol

Haha its like a version of the single wing but with a lot of back yard twist. One ply the scored on they lined the whole offense but the center a "qb" and a running back all the way on the other side of the field. They were the only three left. They snap the ball to the qb he hands the ball of the running back going t word all the other offensive players then he throws it back to the qb going down the sideline. Hope that makes since it looked like they were drawing plays up as the game progressed it was different.

Redtiger, the Fort actually played well in the 2nd half without Dallas. Gilman has some decent legs on him. He did score 2 TDs in the 2nd half. Odom is no slouch, although the only thing I really heard about his performance was a kick return for a TD, but I'll take it. Somewhat concerned with the loss of Turner in the CB position, and it's my understanding he was ejected in the 1st half as well. Bland scored 22 points in the 2nd half. There are talks of appeals being thrown around, although I'm not getting any hopes up as to the results. Bland-FC games have historically been boxing matches, for as long as I can remember. Just surprised that no ejections were done on the other side of the ball, based on the things I've been hearing.

The VHSL will not go against the rulings of its on field officials without compelling evidence and even then, it takes substantial evidence. Like I said earlier, if either kid were ejected for what the on field official deemed to be an altercation, the suspension will be 2 games.

It is almost always the retaliatory measure that gets punished. Like my grandfather always said, no good deed goes unpunished!

Im posting this here but its 1A, 2A and 3A.

http://www.tricities.com/sports/article_b28e12c6-686f-11e4-b1f6-2769850acae3.html#.VGBfe2ML92c.facebook

It says in 1989 Nw and Grayson played each other in the playoffs, what division was each in?  I assume 1AD2, I didnt know Nw was ever that large

Grayson County High School would have only been in it's second year in 1989.  Grayson would have been significantly smaller than it is today.  They still didn't have the logistics sorted out for the Fries area at that point.  A lot of those kids were being sent to Carroll County.  It wasn't until around 1991 or 1992 that they finally got it all sorted out.  Today, virtually all of the Fries area kids attend Grayson.

Im posting this here but its 1A, 2A and 3A.

http://www.tricities.com/sports/article_b28e12c6-686f-11e4-b1f6-2769850acae3.html#.VGBfe2ML92c.facebook

It says in 1989 Nw and Grayson played each other in the playoffs, what division was each in?  I assume 1AD2, I didnt know Nw was ever that large

Northwood was D2 untill the 1994 season.  They have had declineing enrolment eversince.

Bland would have had to agree to the appeal and considering it was their player that started all the crap and also was said to be ejected yet put in for the last few plays I knew they weren't going to agree, which they didn't..... side note, reviewing the footage might also have called attention to the fact that their field was SOAKED and it hadn't been raining... especially around the sprinkler heads.... now that is what I call "home cooking"  Ironic choice of words maybe since saying that was what got Dallas ejected from the game. Hats off to Bland for being the good sports they are :-(

Tim Hayesâ€@Hayes_BHCSports8 hrs8 hours ago

J.I. Burton posted at least one playoff win every year from 2003-2013. How would you rate that accomplishment?

Tim Hayesâ€@Hayes_BHCSports9 hrs9 hours ago

Chatham -- Marion's opponent in 1st round -- hasn't lost two straight games all season. Cavs haven't won two straight either. 5-5

Tim Hayesâ€@Hayes_BHCSports8 hrs8 hours ago

Hurley boss Greg Tester was once a star RB for the Rebels. What head football coach around here was the best player back in the day?

Tim Hayesâ€@Hayes_BHCSports9 hrs9 hours ago

Honaker's senior class has compiled a varsity football record of 43-7

Allen Gregoryâ€@Greg_BHCSports13 hrs13 hours ago

Several Abingdon football players honed their talents in travel leagues. How fast is this concept growing in Southwest Virginia?

great state