Falcons vs Broadway

fatherfalcon

Razor, I saw your question posted after I posted. From what I have heard, Reed just wants things to stay as normal for the boys as possible.  I think  driving 4 hours isn't so normal, but playing on Friday night is.  I have heard the temp at kickoff in Broadway is supposed to be 25. I would much rather play on Saturday for travel purposes as well as weather purposes.  In regards to the let down against Marion, I think the biggest thing that happened wasn't so much their conditioning as much as it was they were surprised they were up 2 tds at half and kinda thought they had the game won.  As weird as this is, if the score had been closer at the half then the outcome MIGHT have been different.  Remember, the only score Marion had in the first half was a tipped pass for TD.  AHS had pretty much shut their O down.  Lastly, AHS not kicking the FG on 4th and 2 at the 5 was boneheaded call....and Colobro is the OC.  Now, don't get me wrong, I think Colobro is GREAT...just missed that call.  That would have put AHS up by 10 with 9 minutes to go in the game.  HUGE difference. That's just my take on it.

Sure Rat, they lost to GC...who has 2 losses...but GC lost to 5A Sullivan South and Bluefield (it was Bluefield right? I can't remember). There's a huge difference. Broadway has losses to 2 teams that have losing or .500 records. (3-7 and 5-5) Not sure what you're getting at.  Did I miss something?

Razor, I saw your question posted after I posted. From what I have heard, Reed just wants things to stay as normal for the boys as possible.  I think  driving 4 hours isn't so normal, but playing on Friday night is.  I have heard the temp at kickoff in Broadway is supposed to be 25. I would much rather play on Saturday for travel purposes as well as weather purposes.  In regards to the let down against Marion, I think the biggest thing that happened wasn't so much their conditioning as much as it was they were surprised they were up 2 tds at half and kinda thought they had the game won.  As weird as this is, if the score had been closer at the half then the outcome MIGHT have been different.  Remember, the only score Marion had in the first half was a tipped pass for TD.  AHS had pretty much shut their O down.  Lastly, AHS not kicking the FG on 4th and 2 at the 5 was boneheaded call....and Colobro is the OC.  Now, don't get me wrong, I think Colobro is GREAT...just missed that call.  That would have put AHS up by 10 with 9 minutes to go in the game.  HUGE difference. That's just my take on it.

I think you need to give the Canes some credit there man we wore down your D in the 4th quarter and you couldnt stop Wagner during that quarter Marion wanted the game more you guys opened the door when you didnt kick the FG and we walked through that door and got the W

Was just wondering if I had missed something pertaining to Abingdons record. Nothing to slight your post or the point you was making about the Falcons and how they have progressed. If you read earlier in the thread you will see where I gave Abingdon credit where it's due. And i agree with the facts you made about the game. However I do think Colobro made a good decision by going for the TD.....but the particular play call wasn't the greatest. Sturgill hadn't been stopped running the ball all night. I don't see why you don't spread them out and run the ball. Marion played with 3 down lineman most of the night and left gaping holes up the middle. Which leads me to wonder why you run out of shotgun formation when it's 4th & short if the defense has 3 down lineman almost all night long. He could have walked into the end zone if he had got under center and went with a quick count. But that's just merely my opinion. However I was watching from the Marion side at the game and even Marion fans were telling me that they were glad that Sturgill was running out of shotgun since their D was only playing with 3 down lineman.

Falcons played a good game for 3 quarters...but that won't win the game against a good team like Marion. I think physicality was the biggest factor in the 4th quarter once Marion gained momentum

- snip - 

And If this is true that they are playing on Friday night, ill never in my life understand wwhy Abingdon has chose to do so. Leaving on Friday and staying the night to get settled in and get some rest seems way more strategical and sensible.

and costly.  Let's say, 50 boys = 25 rooms @ $80 = 2 grand, plus the extra food.  With all the budget cuts recently, most schools don't have that.  Gotta big booster?

Anyway, Grundy chose to go to Appomattox & back on Friday ?last year?... because coach wanted to keep the same weekly routine - boys were used to playing on Friday, so why change.  

I didn't realize there was such budget cuts recently. It would be costly for sure. And i agree with being in a rhythm of playing on Fridays....but riding that far in one day and then playing makes it rough on players. But without the budget to do it....doesnt really matter one way or another.

If Abingdon is the better team they should be able to overcome it anyhow

Rat, I agree with you in regards to running the ball.  I wish that's what they would have done once they decided to go for it.  My reasoning for the FG is the 2 possession game factor.  With 9 minutes left in the game, if we got up by 10 then kickoff, Marion may score but there would be about 4-5 minutes left and AHS would need a couple of first downs to run the clock.  I think Marion only had 1 time out left..but maybe 2.  It's a tough call....because Sturgill (QB) had run the keeper with decent success (>2 yd gains) 3 times on that drive alone. I just hate leaving points on the field.  Our kicker is solid and that was a chip shot. Either way, I'm NOT passing the ball.  Too many bad things can happen.   

I have just heard that they are considering sending the boys up Thursday night. I don't see that happening.  I would really rather play on Saturday...even though that's the first day of rifle season....ugh.

I agree with you BigO....either run the ball for the score or kick the FG....Their kicker seemed to have a boot. And a 2 possession game would have made a huge difference in how Marion would have had to play it out. But whatever the case be as to whenever they play the game, best of luck to the Falcons and wish yall a safe travel.

We went to a camp one year and slept 4 to a room. Everyone was in bed by 11, left by 9 the next morning. No problems. 

If your guys are focused they will be fine, if they arent then theyre not gonna win anyway.

I think all of SWVA is pulling doe Abingdon, I know I am

A guy our company does business with in the Rockingham County area is a volunteer assistant at Broadway.  So I know a little about their team through him.  He knows that I cannot stand former Bearcat coach (Thurman) who now coaches Harrisonburg H.S.  He thinks Thurman is an @** as well but that is another story...

Here are a few odds and ends I have gleaned from my source and the Harrisonburg newspaper:  The Gobblers have battled inconsistent and undisciplined play all season. They beat a bad William Monroe team 21-14 (and were lucky to do so).  They lost to a mediocre James Wood team.  They are very physical but "sloppy".  Their schedule is pretty weak because their district is down.  They do not have a stand out type player.  Their community supports the team as there is not much in Broadway.  They would much rather play Friday night because most of their players will be in tree stands Saturday morning. 

My source called our office early this morning wanting to know if I had any information about Abingdon.  I referred him to Southbound and Falconman.  I hope he has a sense of humor or we may have lost a customer.

FYI:  There is no Taco Bell in Broadway but you will find one in nearby Harrisonburg on Rt. 33.  Reservations not required.

Thanks Bob I needed that this morning. We did get charter buses that are leaving at 11:30am Friday. Been out of town all weekend so thanks to everyone for the support you have shown for these kids. They are very good kids. This is all very new to them. The Marion game was a good slice of humble pie that was hard to swallow. They should be very focused this week. Good luck and Godspeed to everyone else 1A and 2A playoffs. Hoping us hicks give the rest of the state a run for their money from here on out!

I'd love nothing more than to see southwest Virginia run everyone out of these playoffs. I'm a blue tornado through and through but you can bet your ass if we get eliminated I'll be rooting just as hard for gate city marion Union tazewell or whoever else manages to make it through in 2A. As well as abingdon in 3A and honaker in 1A

I'll say this about Broadway. They brought more fans to GC for the State Championship game in '97 than any school has ever had with them. They didn't have much to cheer about, but they supported them 100%. Good luck this week Falcons!

What?  You don't feel like driving 4 hours on Friday to watch AHS play in 25 degree weather and then drive home 4 hours after the game?  Where's your support for SWVA football Rat? lol.