Union/Tazewell

94 APPY DAWG

From the football I have watched maybe really bad was a stretch, but they are not very good comparing them to Richlands, Gate City, Bluefield, ABington, Giles , Buchingham, Marion, and several others I have seen. Just being a a-- for the Poor Lee comment. Of course if they win a few in the playoffs I will have been proven wrong again.

You do realize that Union beat Richlands this year don't you? They had to overcome 21 point deficit but did it nonetheless. Of course, Richlands would probably win in a rematch.

Perhaps they don't beat Gate City as they lost 38-8. Doesn't automatically mean they wouldn't win in a rematch, though the chances are extremely slim.

Union would not beat Bluefield.

Perhaps they don't beat Abingdon this season but I'd say most seasons they could.

Union is a young team who has overachieved.

yosef,

You stated that you were "Not a Lee person at all", but in the Lee/Appomattox thread you said that you "Love the generals..." I have never heard someone say that they love a team, but aren't a die hard fan. If you're a Lee fan then say so. Nothing wrong with that. They've had some tough breaks over the last few years, and have been a much better team than their record would indicate. I personally LOVE the bears. I pull for Gate City, Lee, Richlands, Clintwood, and other local teams anytime I can, but I don't "love" them. That "love" is reserved for Union because they're the team that I sit on hard, concrete bleachers for in the rain and frigid cold. They're the ones that I have traveled for hours to go watch on Friday nights and in the playoffs.

If you don't like Union or think they are overrated then that is certainly your right. I think that they are capable of winning every game that they play, and I should, because I'm a FAN. I'm not so over zealous that I think they are unstoppable. I know they have their faults and weaknesses and their coaches don't always make the best decisions, but I still go and cheer them on every Friday. And heck, every player should walk onto that field each Friday KNOWING that they can win their game regardless of records. If they don't then why do they even bother showing up for each contest.

Also, I don't know too many "bad" teams that have back to back 8-2 seasons this year, or that have come from 21 and 14 down to win ball games. 

That's just one FAN's opinion.

Here are the facts that I can tell you.  Tazewell is a tough team and has tons of talent on the offensive side of the ball.  If you dont have safetys that can cover three of the receivers then they will get torched.  Our RB is back and pretty much healthy now.  Given the full season he probably would have been the one of the top in the area.  Our QB is playing more like he was at the beginning of the season with some designed runs.

Now with all that said, solid tackles have become an issue for some reason.  We had bone jarring hits at the beginning of the season now more arm tackles broken.  Our level of competition over the past several games was much tougher.  We played a sloppy game at Marion and at Richlands so what was witnessed there is not a good assessment of what we can do.  Our last two games were better.  Don't look at the score as Abingdon was a solid team with no mistakes made and we didn't let them run away with it.  Lebanon would have been a different game had two plays been different.  The score right before halftime that no excuse to allow and the facemask penalty on the defense that was called as a holding call on the offense killed a drive there.  Again no excuse but still better play.

I think there is the possibility for a close game and could go either way again depending on the turnovers and stupid mistakes made by either team.

Either way looking forward to heading to new territory for me and LET'S GO DOGS!

Don't be surprised if Tazewell hangs tough Friday. Look for the QB to run the ball more than Blankenship also. #3 is tough as nails when he wants to be and I think the bears will get a solid dose of it.

Prediction: Union 30 Tazewell 26 (only because they refuse to try for an extra point and will go for 2)

Don't be surprised if Tazewell hangs tough Friday. Look for the QB to run the ball more than Blankenship also. #3 is tough as nails when he wants to be and I think the bears will get a solid dose of it.

Prediction: Union 30 Tazewell 26 (only because they refuse to try for an extra point and will go for 2)

Will agree with all that.  XP seem to be the weakness although we kicked the one try successfully last week.  However were 2 for 4 at Grundy if I remember right.  If it comes down to the kicking game we are screwed.

Union played a half against Tazewell in the Jamboree at JI Burton.  Tazewell does have a good athlete at QB, another at WR and a pretty good LB.  That is what I gathered in watching them there.  IMO Union should win this game if they lock down Mountain with their best CB and make the QB beat them.  Union matched up well with Tazewell, and I see no reason that should be any different.  As for Union's personnel...the team only has 8 Seniors and IMO have improved throughout the season.  They have had some streaks of inconsistent play but that is to be expected from a team with a slew of underclassmen starting for the first time.  IMO this is the best team Union has fielded yet, but at the same time this team gets better still for the next few years to come.  But, I don't think Tazewell beats them Friday.

As far as a GC/Union rematch is concerned, well that's way off if at all.  But for all that think high school young men cant win a rematch after being whipped need only to look back to 2007.  In 2007 Powell Valley beat Gate City in regular season by a score of something like 38-14, manhandled them if you will.  Well low and behold they met again in the Region D championship and you guessed it, GC handed the Vikings a loss, 13- 7 I think and went on to lose in the half state.  But the point is, don't count anyone out just because you beat the in regular season.  Been done too many times before.  Sometimes the planets align and things fall into place......I see many weaknesses in this Union team but I also have seen some really nice football coming from this bunch, they are hard to figure that is for sure.  Union takes one this Friday by 2 TDs.

In 1999, a young but tough PV team that had lost Julius Jones to graduation soundly defeated a tough Clintwood team 26-0. A couple of weeks later PV lost their first game since nearly 3 years to JJ Kelly in an upset. Then lost to Gate City. Went 8-2. Lost 18-13 at home to Clintwood in the first round of the Division 2 playoffs.

Revenge is sweet but I do not see Union getting it against GC, if they even met them in the postseason. That is why they play the game.

I know Union has a good team; plays until clock expires--proof-is in-the-pudding--Blues and Lee.  That being said, I am rooting for the Dawgs (no disrespect to the Bears). I know several of the team and coaches, so this is a heart-pick, not a head-pick.  The heart always has room to believe for the upset.

I was surprised that the Dawgs didn't beat Lebanon, since Lebanon is mainly a running team.  With Tazewell's athletes and speed thought they could diminish the run game of the Pioneers.   Oh well, it's another week, a new clock, a new team--GO DAWGS!!!

Good luck Tazewell.

GO Bears!

Can't make it tonight due to work but will definitely try to keep up as much as possible. I don't need to be there anyway where I'm battling the cold and the chilly weather won't help.

Union has faired pretty well against the Tazewell County teams. The first two years, they came up short against Richlands. They beat Graham in the first round of the post season. They used late game heroics against Richlands last season and this season. Now they get to play Tazewell tonight. No doubt in my mind that it will be a great game, regardless of the outcome. 

Good luck. Safe travels to the Bulldogs--their team, band, and all their supporters. Stay warm.

Not a Lee person at all. Just think Union is really a bad team . Great receiver or two with everyone else watching. The Lee game was just one of many bullet park miracles in the last 30 plus years. If they lose there are more excuses given for the lose other than we got beat than one can imagine. Most Bear fans still think they can be Gate City if there is a rematch. GC wins 10 out of 10 but not if you ask the Union folks. Injuries, receivers dropped too many passes, refs, weather, or worse than the Falcons , wet balls. Always something. Lee got robbed of their only quality win in 10 years. Possibly the only one they will have a chance at for 10 more years. I just fell sorry for the poor Lee fans.

Check "yosef" before you wreck "yosef"! Quit being a whiner and apologist for the Generals! I actually think Lee has a chance against Glenvar!

If Tazewell could learn to tackle with their heads up and not have turned the ball over as much as they did, they could have come out on top in this game! Good game though, like to see Tazewell play Union more often!

If Tazewell could learn to tackle with their heads up and not have turned the ball over as much as they did, they could have come out on top in this game! Good game though, like to see Tazewell play Union more often!

That could be said for both teams..Union has to cut down on silly mistakes or they will soon find themselves sitting at the house watching everyone else play.

Tazewell came ready to play for sure. I know that Union's defense stiffened(and I use that term loosely) in the second half, but I was surprised to see Tazewell abandon the run so quickly. If Union has a "strength" on defense it would be their DBs.

I thought Union played pretty good overall considering the temperature, but those fumbles could have been killers.

Hope all the Tazewell fans had safe travel and were treated with hospitality during their visit to Big Stone.

Never been down there before but can't say anything bad about it. Good to see a tight game that really wasn't decided until late. Would actually like to see us play union more instead of some of the others we have. Only complaint I have is the sorry location of the scoreboard. Nearly impossible to see from most all of visitors stands.

With the old visitors bleachers the scoreboard was easy to see from the bleachers. After the storm cell or whatever it was destroyed the bleachers, one of the lights, and portions of the park a few years ago the visitors seats had to be replaced. While nicer by construction and convenience standards, the new bleachers aren't as high or vertical. From some parts of the new bleachers, it is a little tough to see the scoreboard.