Radford @ Honaker

hhstigers7327

Coach Saunders told Coach Tester that Radford was back to full strength and that last night was the best they have played all season. I would have to agree that last night Radford looked great, the QB runs the Pistol Wing-T really well, they run the rocket, fake the rocket and hit you with a belly, zone read looks really good and then they will spread you out 5 wide and let the QB pick a lane to run or drop a "dime" on your d-backs. You are right hhstiger, they have crazy speed. Radford's skill set is quick and especially #5 and #8. Radford has 2 really good lineman in #50 and #75 but I like #75 better because he has a motor. Coach Tester and I were talking last night and he thinks Honaker will win because they are more balanced offensively than Hurley but Radford is a tough draw for anyone at this point in the season.

On a side note, the Radford kids are really well mannered and showed good sportsmanship all night. Radford kids didn't trash talking after getting the big lead, just a hand to help the Hurley kids up and a pat on the back or tail.

Good luck Tigers and I'm going to try to make it over to watch the game.

The talk on Radford's speed is justified.  They really made us look slow in week 1.  thevols summed them up quite well.  They love spreading the field and creating mismatches, while keeping the defense guessing all night.  Finley at QB is a playmaker, and Grant is dangerous when he breaks the first wave, especially when they go 4 wide. 

I thought our Dline played very well the first three quarters of the game with them, which is key in stopping Radford.  Moving the line of scrimmage backwards while keeping Finley in the pocket is critical.

Radford does have good speed. Heath Grant #5, has got better and better as the season has went on. He's about 5'9" 170 but is very, very fast. He is a north - south runner, but he is also shifty. But what is most impressive is how physical a runner he is for his size, he looks to run over people (benches 300 lbs). Marcus Finley(QB) is extremely quick, he is very dangerous if he gets outside the pocket,(knee buckling moves). All the other skill positions are athletic, but are not very big.

Radford was 5-5 during the regular season, but could have been 8 and 2. Was at the Blacksburg (AAA) 10 yard line with a chance to tie, with 10 seconds left and threw a pick six.(Back-up QB, Finley played wide receiver in this game, hurt shoulder). Lost to Ft. Chiswell in Double O.T. (Without Finley), Had an extra point length FG to win the game in regulation against Glenvar and got it blocked, stopped Glenvar in the first OT and missed another extra point length (walk-off) FG to win the game. Lost in the second O.T. Lost to Giles ( dominating team) and played AAAA Pulaski County close for a half before fading in the second half. Radford is alot better than their record

My question is this for the people who know Honaker. Radfords' weakness to me is defending a good, big power running team. Does Honaker have the ability to take over a game between the tackles (I.E. Giles), because if they can, they will keep the Bobcats offense of the field. 

One interesting side note to this game is that I heard Honaker has a turf field, if this is true, this is intriguing. I am interesting to see what Radfords' speed/quickness will do on artificial turf.

I am looking forward to seeing this game I think it will be the best second round match up of the 1A west playoffs.

My question is this for the people who know Honaker. Radfords' weakness to me is defending a good, big power running team. Does Honaker have the ability to take over a game between the tackles (I.E. Giles), because if they can, they will keep the Bobcats offense of the field. 

One interesting side note to this game is that I heard Honaker has a turf field, if this is true, this is intriguing. I am interesting to see what Radfords' speed/quickness will do on artificial turf.

I am looking forward to seeing this game I think it will be the best second round match up of the 1A west playoffs.

Yes. Honaker has the ability to flat wear you down in the tackles. Ask Haysi how that went. They ran the exact same play at least 10-12 times in a row at one point and were picking up a solid 4 or 5 yards every time. 

They do play on turf. 

Carolinahokie64, yes Honaker has that ability. They like to run the I(pro and twins) and be very versatile out of that but when that didn't work against Haysi they packed it in tight and were almost impossible to stop. Their TB is very patient and very strong. Very good back.  

The 2nd round matchups for Honaker and Haysi are very tough. Radford and Covington are VERY good teams

Carolinahokie64, yes Honaker has that ability. They like to run the I(pro and twins) and be very versatile out of that but when that didn't work against Haysi they packed it in tight and were almost impossible to stop. Their TB is very patient and very strong. Very good back.  

The 2nd round matchups for Honaker and Haysi are very tough. Radford and Covington are VERY good teams

Haysi at home or do they go to Covington?

I think this is a very tough draw for Honaker and maybe one of the better teams still playing. I was very impressed with Honakers line play against Haysi and it was the difference in the game. A team like Radford is probably who it will take to beat them. Honaker really is a very impressive team in all areas. As stated above Hoanakers biggest key to this game is getting to the Qb early and getting him down. Much easier said than done but if they can pressure him while containing him at the same time...then I think Honaker has a good outcome. Honakers line play is great !

I for one will be pulling for the Tigers in this one for sure ! Take it to them Honaker

Very quick and very small. that's what we are and it's not gonna change before Saturday. Power running game can beat us take time off the clock and keep our offense on the side lines. BUT can they stop us? Radford is healthy for the first time all year, got our center back, QB is finally healthy and over all our line is playing great ball. Speed kills but ya have to have the ball for that to happen. Prediction; really good game.

Very quick and very small. that's what we are and it's not gonna change before Saturday. Power running game can beat us take time off the clock and keep our offense on the side lines. BUT can they stop us? Radford is healthy for the first time all year, got our center back, QB is finally healthy and over all our line is playing great ball. Speed kills but ya have to have the ball for that to happen. Prediction; really good game.

Can we stop ya? That's the million dollar question. Radford will most likely be the fastest team we have played since we played sussex central a couple years ago. Didn't have much success stopping them that day. Both coaches and teams know what they are going to get from each other so it's just going to come down to who can execute the best, not turn the ball over and limit penalties.

Turnovers:( will kill us(Radford) I think we will have to score pretty much everytime to beat you guys. Turn the ball over a couple times and we will be looking for a good place to eat, quick, so i can get home and watch the Hoos blow another one.

Turnovers:( will kill us(Radford) I think we will have to score pretty much everytime to beat you guys. Turn the ball over a couple times and we will be looking for a good place to eat, quick, so i can get home and watch the Hoos blow another one.

Well RCity... safe travels!!! And on the food... u should try out some of the concessions at the game for a snack anyway... usually pretty good options...