Lee @ Giles

fb-fan24263

Matchups was the point I was trying to make. For whatever reason, Galax matches up well with Giles. Anyone who beats Giles will need to control the line of scrimmage and keep their offense off the field. Easier said than done. They are extremely talented, strong, well coached, disciplined and passionate on the field. You dont win 24 in a row otherwise.

Matchups are a HUGE part of football that is often overlooked. Defining how "good" a team is not as important as understanding how well they matchup with their opponent

You are exactly right RedTiger....matchups are what matters...and Galax matched up with us very well the last 2 years and we were very lucky to win either game against them muchless both of them....Galax has a great coach and had 2 weeks to prepare for Giles both years and it showed....they flat out took it to us from the start....at least this year they changed everything from what we had seen so far before playing them....once we got to halftime and made a few adjustments our defense shut them down the 2nd half and we got out of there with a win....our coaching staff has done a very good job the last few years too

True and they are physical as all get out....all goes back to coaching IMO

After we figured out what they were doing we had alot of sucess running the ball in the 2nd half....and therefor won the game.....we don't usually have the option to "air it out" but we can throw the ball pretty well this year if needed

Lee's lack of familiarity with the single wing will be the difference in this one. I think Giles will win by 2-3 td's when all is said and done. The Generals can be very physical, but the offense didn't scare me too much. I thought GC shot themselves in the foot with turnovers inside the 20 and could've/should've won by 2-3 td's. They didn't though and were lucky to leave Ben Hur with the win after stopping Lee on the 2 point conversion. I was impressed with Lee going to Appomattox and coming away with the win, but this is a whole different animal. I obviously am pulling for the "local' boys, but have nothing but respect for the Giles program.

HokieBird, you act like Friday football came down to Moses on stone tablets. I have seen games on Thanksgiving and the Friday after, I even saw one playoff game on Sunday (which I hated), Region IV and Region D nearly always played playoff games on Saturday the last 20years. I don't think the day matters much (GC may have the girls volleyball in the State Finals on Saturday, so folks will have to choose) everyone is entitled to an/their opinion, I just don't share yours regarding the Friday/Sat game.

It takes great discipline to stay at home on D. That and you have have to be at least close to a match physically to be able to stop/slow it down. Years ago the single wing was all the rage in college and high school football. Like the spread that everyone runs now. Most of your successful teams really run multiple sets now. GC runs 3-4 different sets on any given night.

ojrussell.....Mance would probably be good at chess. He just loves the spread and the pistol formations because you can do so much out of them. He must have always wanted to be a QB(lol) because he takes our QB"s and works with them so much in developing them. Our QB must be able to see and read all the different formations a defense might throw at them and audible and be able to go through his options in a couple of seconds on any given play. Our QB has by far the hardest job on the team as far as preparation for each game goes. Our QB has a lot of power in decision making in our offense. So to answer your question in my opinion he just loves to throw the ball. Of course you have to be able to run the ball and he will but he loves to try and figure out the defense his opponent throws him with as many options as possible.

Never doubt his love for Giles and the single wing offense. It will always be there and you never know one day you might see him try it at Richlands. I just don't think you will see it in the near future....lol. Friday Night we started 8 underclassmen and are a young team for the most part. So don't look for much to change for us Richlands fans. Now that's just my opinion and there may be some of us Richlands fans that disagree with this but that's ok. That is my answer to your question.

I agree with LegendatLegion on his post. Giles is just to tough and fast for Lee to win.

What is it about the single wing offense that makes it so difficult to defend?

Imo a handful of things

1) by not having a QB undercenter they have a numbers advantage

2) using a Wing instead of a Flanker gives them even more of a numbers advantage at the los

3) their lead plays can have a misdirection component(again numbers advantage)

4) the numbers advantage allows them to double team

5) the Wing Back Reverse. Its just not something teams see very often anymore

speaking of double teams, when they run the TB offtackle run they can have 2 OL double your DT, their TE and WB double your DE and have 2 FBs lead on your LBs. That offense at its most basic can hammer a defense for 4 yards a carry all day.

But imo what makes Giles in particular so hard to defend is the same thing that makes Gate City and Clintwood so hard to defend, what those young men do from December to August is unrivaled by anyone in SWVA. Although Honaker and Haysi put their time in too 

Let me tell you something Tiger....Nobody including Gate City and Clintwood puts more days in than Richlands does period ! I am not saying Gate City and Clintwood doesn't work as hard as Richlands but no way they put more time in. You are right that's one of the reasons they have been so successful though. Just saying

I just pointed out GC, CW. Honaker and Giles because they are power running teams that rely on their strength. I threw in Haysi because the young men in RED put in their share of time and I cant leave my boys out. Richlands doesnt rely on power as much so I didnt mention them.

Historically opponents arent worried that Richlands is gonna line up and come right at them, while thats what everyone worries about when they play Giles, Honaker, GC or Cw. When I think Richlands I think Spread passing game, not power.  That being said I should have mentioned them, when you see the players from Richlands its obvious that they work VERY hard during the offseason.

When you look at the ups and downs of the Haysi program over the years you can pretty much pick out the teams that took the weight room seriously and the teams that didnt.

btw, I think where Haysi has no history with Richlands I just dont think about them very often. I leave them out all the time! haha

ojrussell.....Mance would probably be good at chess. He just loves the spread and the pistol formations because you can do so much out of them. He must have always wanted to be a QB(lol) because he takes our QB"s and works with them so much in developing them. Our QB must be able to see and read all the different formations a defense might throw at them and audible and be able to go through his options in a couple of seconds on any given play. Our QB has by far the hardest job on the team as far as preparation for each game goes. Our QB has a lot of power in decision making in our offense. So to answer your question in my opinion he just loves to throw the ball. Of course you have to be able to run the ball and he will but he loves to try and figure out the defense his opponent throws him with as many options as possible.

Never doubt his love for Giles and the single wing offense. It will always be there and you never know one day you might see him try it at Richlands. I just don't think you will see it in the near future....lol. Friday Night we started 8 underclassmen and are a young team for the most part. So don't look for much to change for us Richlands fans. Now that's just my opinion and there may be some of us Richlands fans that disagree with this but that's ok. That is my answer to your question.

I agree with LegendatLegion on his post. Giles is just to tough and fast for Lee to win.

Good post Razor ! 

I think the talent we have had over the last several years has a lot to do with why we use the spread.  We have been blessed with good athletic QB's that can throw and in most cases also had the ability to run with the ball !  We have also had some very good athletes that had speed,  good hands, and with the ability to make big plays at the receiver spots.   We have also been very blessed to have big athletic lines that allow us to run the spread.  There have been years when we were able to line up and run the ball at will on almost anybody,  Devon Johnson's Jr and Sr years come to mind !

A good coach will use a system that best fits the talent he has,  and i think Mance has done that well over the years,    but i have always wondered if we would ever try and use the single wing since he does know that system so well.

Like Razor,  I am also glad to see Lee have the year they have had this year and wish them luck.  They have a lot to be proud of ! 

But like several Richlands fans, Giles is my 2nd favorite team,  and I follow how they do and pull for them except for when we have to play them,   so i guess i will be pulling for them in this game,  but it wont break my heart if Lee does win.

I look for Giles to win  37 to 20.  I have no idea how i came up with that score,  but that's my story and I'm sticking to it !  I'm not very good with predicting scores.

I'm really looking foward to this game! Lee has a very good team this year and I'm hoping we'll win. A lot of people thinks Giles will shut Lee down I on the other hand think it will be a close game. I watched Giles this year once and absolutely they are a great team, but they didn't have that WOW factor that I was exspecting IMO. I'm praying we can bring Gile's win streak to a halt. I certianly would have rathered drawn out with someone else this round though.