Best Game Winner

West12aaa

With Basket ball just around the corner, I was thinking back to some of the best game winner in Swva history 2 come to my mind.

One was the twin springs state finals shot in the mid 90s.

Secondly, the game winner TW had over JIB, in the 2008 Region D tourny. That was a dagger.

Who else has some?

Esit: Saw the TS replay, however I can't track down a replay of the 2008 game.

Galax trailed Luray by 3 with16 seconds remaining in the 2011 state semifinal. Austin Pack hit Justin Hash on a full court inbound. Hash buried the three with two guys in his face to send it to overtime. Galax went on to win the state title.

This one is going WAY back, but it's one that I've heard ever since I was a kid:

In 1953, Marion scored 9 unanswered points in the final fifteen seconds to beat Clintwood, 56-52 in the state finals, giving VHSL Hall of Famer Charlie Harkins a state championship in his first season coaching. All five of Clintwood's starters were seniors, they had won two state titles in the three years prior, and they just had a VHSL-record 66 game win streak be broken. They were playing against Marion, who had three freshmen starters, as well as a first year head coach.

As you can imagine, it was quite the upset.

In 1984, VHS played George Wythe in the region semifinals I believe it was.  GW had a phenomenal scorer in June Bug Penn (?) but VHS' Mike Mech equaled him point for point. 

With Kevin Jessee being the floor general, VHS appeared poised to finally make it back to the state tourney.  They led the entire game up to that point.  With under 30 seconds to play and up 1, VHS had a costly turnover that gave GW the ball with just a couple of seconds left.  VHS inserted Todd Shy to hound the ball handler.  With Shy in his jersey, the guard hit a jumper at the buzzer from the top of the key (no three pointers back then) to win the game.  It was the kids only basket of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Was watching the Highlands district tournament in 2006 or 07. When Abingdon had a real good team that year. Va High was playing Lee in the semifinals, and Lee was down 1 and had to go the length of the court with 2. something seconds. The kid from Lee threw up a shot from just inside mid court with the VA High player draped on him and somehow the shot went in to win the game.