Question for you bracket gurus

LegendatLegion

I honestly hadn't taken the time to look, what happens to the cross bracket portion if: one side (let's say East) has a 10seed and 7 seed in the semi finals and the West has a 1 and 2 seed left? Does the East still host a semi final game or do both travel?

you would be amazed(or maybe not) at the sheer number of people that have no idea how the "new" system works. A guy sitting behind me today at Honaker was talking about how if GC won and Galax won then Honaker would host GW next week. Galax and Honaker have no connection and GC is 2A!  There are a lot of people who are still lost

you would be amazed(or maybe not) at the sheer number of people that have no idea how the "new" system works. A guy sitting behind me today at Honaker was talking about how if GC won and Galax won then Honaker would host GW next week. Galax and Honaker have no connection and GC is 2A! There are a lot of people who are still lost

I am totally amazed as well. Is it that hard? I think the confusion people have as far as its a bracket from the start of the playoffs and there is NO reseeding until the cross bracket (semis)with the east is where most of the questions i see/hear have to do with. And if someone doesnt knw ... ive heard em jus make somethin up! Its quite a comical conversation sometimes!!

My biggest gripe with the new format is the 16 teams making the playoffs in the west and east. Knock it down to 8 in the east and 8 in the west and it'd be much better imo. Go to that and it wouldn't matter if the East or West had 4-5 schools difference in number cuz everybody and their grandma wouldn't be getting in to begin with. Besides, when there were regions, usually there were only 4 per division per region getting in anyways...2 regions combined is a half...so common sense says to set the number at 8.

My biggest gripe with the new format is the 16 teams making the playoffs in the west and east. Knock it down to 8 in the east and 8 in the west and it'd be much better imo. Go to that and it wouldn't matter if the East or West had 4-5 schools difference in number cuz everybody and their grandma wouldn't be getting in to begin with. Besides, when there were regions, usually there were only 4 per division per region getting in anyways...2 regions combined is a half...so common sense says to set the number at 8.

I agree to some degree with you on the 16 being too many but ask Waynesboro what they feel about it .. they beat #1Hidden Valley and then knocked off Broadway this weekend ... a 16 moving to round 3 ...

new? we've had 6 classes for football playoffs since 86.

It's just that ppl. don't take the time to understand things - just like all the hoopla over the clip of the Obamacare guy. It's a year old and he said what was already known years ago by ppl. who understood how the ACA worked - but some folks don't let facts get in the way..

In the 6A bracket, it does reseed after every game. The reason behind new system is the yr or two before last the division 5 state champ Briar Woods had more students than the division 6 champ did. Vhsl wanted it to be more equal. Of course you will always have teams at high and low end of enrollment. Giles is at low end of D2. Where as Gate City and Richlands and so on are near top. Same with last yr. Brunswick had Giles by close to 200 + kids. Guess vhsl does best they can.

I'm with you on this but my number would be 12 and let the top 4 have a bye. 

In the 6A bracket, it does reseed after every game. The reason behind new system is the yr or two before last the division 5 state champ Briar Woods had more students than the division 6 champ did. Vhsl wanted it to be more equal. Of course you will always have teams at high and low end of enrollment. Giles is at low end of D2. Where as Gate City and Richlands and so on are near top. Same with last yr. Brunswick had Giles by close to 200 + kids. Guess vhsl does best they can.

Thats THE reason it was changed. 

Giles/Brunswick is a good example but Clintwood and JI Burton lost to teams that were almost twice their size. 300ish to 550+

The first year they split divisions in other sports, I believe the D1 finals were Nelson County beating Twin Valley and D2 George Wythe beating Gate City.  Nelson County was the biggest school in the Group A finals and won the smallest division.