Message to the Richlands fan base

Ryan4VT

Message to Richlands fans: I've been noticing a trend as of late, and that trend is that our fan base has been absent all year. I can remember driving to Hidden Valley and to Brookville and us packing the stands 2 hours before kickoffs. We always had more fans than the opposing team during the season. It's such a HUGE difference when we can go on the road and make so much noise that it throws off the home team. But this year, we haven't filled up a set of bleachers since Gate City in week 1. These boys don't have a perfect record. They lost some squeakers. They got beat convincingly. But they've grown so much. They deserve to have a rabid fan base that will follow them ANYWHERE to see them play the game. Are we really that spoiled as a fan base? Have we seen so many 10-0 teams that a 3 loss season has turned away fans?? We are ONE win away from a STATE SEMIFINAL APPEARANCE. This team is good. But so is Gate City. They need our help in any way they can get it. Remember when this team carried out the 32 jersey and promised to play this season for Cody? Well, that's still in effect. This season still means more than just a season.

So I'm challenging you. Load up a car with friends. Get your friends to do the same. If someone doesn't have a ride, BRING THEM if you don't have a full car. Let's pack these stands Saturday at Gate City and help our boys continue their dream. Mance shouldn't have to beg on the radio to get fans to come out. It's time to re-ignite this fan base!!! THE STORM IS COMING!!

The Brookville game was just amazing and I will never forget it(2010). I think the weather has had some to do with it this year but as you stated that didn't matter in the past. I agree with you Ryan I sure hope the fans will travel this week and I think it being played Saturday will turn out a lot more of us. The boys do deserve it and I think we will show up in force. 

1- close to the malls for the ladies

2- go right by a Bass Pro for the men & ladies

3- good food

4- High School Playoff Football with a birth to the 2A State Semi-Finals (that would make #32 proud)!!!!!!

What else could we ask for except a win ?

Hey Blues thanks for the smack down Friday. There were at least fans from all Hogo teams on Richlands side cheering them on. I heard a Blues fan comment on Marion being in the HOGO and that was killing them because they were not physical at all. Marion's weak schedule did not prepare them for the physical Blues. We tried to tell them but they would not listen.

You know Ryan that is the very first thing I told my buddies when we walked in the stadium Friday at Marion....I said "dang Richlands don't have hardly anyone here, they always pack the house"....I couldn't believe how few fans you guys had there.....Don't worry the more you win the more people will start showing up...I know last year in Salem I saw people at the game that i can guarantee you don't know the difference between a football and a hockey puck there, and all say "I have been to (X number) of games this year....and what's funny is I don't miss a game and ive never seen any of them ever at a game.....hardcore diehard fans are the only ones that matter anyway....and I know like Giles that Richlands has many many of them

Agreed Ryan, we need to flood the stadium and I think we will. Giles was packed out last year and the weather is suppose to be nice. If not, the true blue fans can be just as loud. Agree attendance for away games this year is not what it has been though and that's a shame. I remember playing at Graham my junior year and the visitor side was so full there weren't any seats available.

Hey Blues thanks for the smack down Friday. There were at least fans from all Hogo teams on Richlands side cheering them on. I heard a Blues fan comment on Marion being in the HOGO and that was killing them because they were not physical at all. Marion's weak schedule did not prepare them for the physical Blues. We tried to tell them but they would not listen.

And there were members from Northwood, Chilhowie, George Wythe, and Rural Retreat pulling for Marion on our side. Why are you always so negative toward Marion? That's right, I know who you are and I know you.

Will say this from a players point from the past few seasons. The fan turnout towards the end of last year was very disappointing. The Abingdon game and the 2nd round VA High game, the stands emptied. I was apart of those games when the Blue Fans were full force in 2010, Cave Spring at home, Brookville, and the state finals that year were so special. The fans came and were loud and proud. The only other game I can remember where the crowd was crazy was 2012 against Tazewell on that saturday. Yes we played in front of many people, the four years i was in the program, bt it seemed towards the end of my senior year that when the record wasn't 10-0 like the previous two years, some folks stopped caring. Go to Legion Saturday, and raise hell. My brothers deserve it, it is the games like that that you live for. This is what makes me miss football, See you at Gate City.

Very well stated Ryan

I am one of the fans that has not been to the games this year,  the first time in many many years,   I would say since i played that i have missed this many games.  But it has been because of a lot of health issues with me and my mother and mother in law.  It has just been one of those years where anything that could go wrong has,  but I hope that I will be able to make this game,  but it just depends on how both my mother,  and my mother in law are doing come Saturday.

I just hope and pray that everybody that is able to go does,  because the kids do deserve the support !

Very well stated Ryan

I am one of the fans that has not been to the games this year, the first time in many many years, I would say since i played that i have missed this many games. But it has been because of a lot of health issues with me and my mother and mother in law. It has just been one of those years where anything that could go wrong has, but I hope that I will be able to make this game, but it just depends on how both my mother, and my mother in law are doing come Saturday.

I just hope and pray that everybody that is able to go does, because the kids do deserve the support !

It's not you that needs to read the post. I would never expect someone to go to a game over taking care of themselves or family. That's always first. It's those who are "fair weather" fans.

I appreciate what you said and I know who you were directing it at Ryan and I totally agree with everything you stated !

I have just hated that I have missed so many games that really started last year with my car accident and then on in to this year.  This years team has worked so hard and have come a long way,  and they really do deserve the kind of fan support that the teams of the past have had.  All of us that have played football or even baseball, basketball or any other sport knows how much it means to have your fans supporting you and making noise !

I think we will have a good crowd this Saturday,  but these kids deserved that kind of support all season and hopefully in any upcoming game if we can get the win over a great program this weekend !

We where coming to the game sat but my little girls basketball coach just called and our game today was cancelled because a coach could not be there but we have to play sat night rescheduling for football what a joke so if everyone plays like they are being told to do that's over 100 kids so 200 adults that want be at the game I know all would not cone but I think half would have and some still will

I'll tell you what, I can't wait to retire from the Air Force and get back to SWVA high school football.  Here in Germany, the regular season is 6 games and due to the number of D-1 schools (6), only the top 4 advance to semi-finals & finals.  Granted, the regular season could be longer, but the travel distance for the schools are ridiculous and expensive on the DoDDS budget.  Try taking a bus trip annually from Germany to England or Germany to Italy, just crazy.  I'd give anything to watch some "real" high school football!

Razor and Bigrhsfan, thanks for the comments.  I joined to do 4-years and now it's been 24-yrs.  I'm ready to come "home!"  Been stationed in California, Korea (92-93), North Carolina, Pentagon, Maryland (twice), Alabama, Korea (06-07) and Germany (5 years now '10-'14).

I second the other posters on here 87 Tiger and thank you for your service to our country.  You and your fellow servicemen/women  are the reason we are able to have and enjoy the freedom we do.  Thank you!!

It will be great when you get back to our "neck of the woods" and enjoy some SWVA football.  Honaker in the last few seasons has distinguished itself as one of the premier programs in our area.  I believe Coach Hubbard came on board as HC about 1983 so he is the face of Honaker Tigers football.

When you're in the 3rd round of playoffs you are playing quality programs--that being said,  believe the Tigers can come away with the win against the GW Maroons.  No defeat on your field--Tigers

I'll tell you what, I can't wait to retire from the Air Force and get back to SWVA high school football.  Here in Germany, the regular season is 6 games and due to the number of D-1 schools (6), only the top 4 advance to semi-finals & finals.  Granted, the regular season could be longer, but the travel distance for the schools are ridiculous and expensive on the DoDDS budget.  Try taking a bus trip annually from Germany to England or Germany to Italy, just crazy.  I'd give anything to watch some "real" high school football!

First of all 87Tiger, thanks for your service! I retired from the Air Force in 2007 and spent a good portion of my time in Europe following SWVA football. Europe has advanced as far as football but the DODD schools might produce one blue chip every 5 years or so. Just not the same brand. Having graduated in 85, I was overseas at a time when the bases played tackle football, so I was able maintain my youth and play as well. I always maintained a 'Post" and 'Coalfield Progress' so I could follow the LPD. Good lucj in your future retirement and safe travels.