ALTAVISTA AT HONAKER

litltiger

so who has avista lost to? how will honaker handle the speed across the board?

They haven't lost in 23 games dating back to last season. 

I have no clue how to help with all that speed….

so who has avista lost to? how will honaker handle the speed across the board?

They havent lost.... and it will be a tough out.. make no mistake... i have faith but it will be a tough game!! Not sure how they are defensively but you have to assume they are tough to hold Parry McCluer to 10 points with the RB they have ... didnt see how many yards he had during the game but ... i think our defense is tough... bend dont break and keep them from the "big plays" and a turnover or two wouldnt hurt! Im looking forward to seeing them and how we matchup ... Go Tigers!

I think control with the clock is a big key for honaker.if they can grind out long drives and use a lot of clock to do it would be a biggy.depends on the strength in the trenches for avista.thats hubbards type of game I think.

I think control with the clock is a big key for honaker.if they can grind out long drives and use a lot of clock to do it would be a biggy.depends on the strength in the trenches for avista.thats hubbards type of game I think.

If thats the game plan you have to come away with points every drive and no turnovers like the Radford game IMO... achievable i think... not sure about their line play... must be dang good to have that winning streak.. Dont think they lost much from last years state title team either! Would be nice to end it for em .. im sure its alot of pressure ...lol!

one of the guys told my daughter they just lost 5 players from last yr.i watched little film on that qb in last yrs game and he can sling the ball or run it.defencive ends have to contain and outsde linebackers have to read well and help contain.if corners play to tight they will give us a good burning.front defensive line has to be strong up front and pressure passing situations .

They couldnt do much undercenter vs Haysi but from Spread they were tough to stop. Shotgun they ran HB Trap and QB Counter, from Pistol they ran Read Option.  Passing game was pretty simple but effective. Post/Streak/Corner type routes.

I truly believe if Haysi would have stuck with the run w might have made last years game closer. We also didnt force any turnovers that I remember of.

If Honaker grinds it out on offense and scored TDs then they will be fine. Like streak said, Orange cant have the mistakes they had against Radford. Altavista is on a MUCH higher level. Honaker stands a good chance imo

They have gave up 65 points all season. They held dawson to 102 yards in that game. You will not ground and pound them. They have the best linebackers in the state. They swarm to the football very well. Now I said that you are not going to ground and pound them and your not we are going to have to run the football right at them. No chance of running it outside. We can't get behind the chains. We have to be able to throw the football when we want to not when we have to. You have to be able to both run the ball and throw it to beat them.

Offensively I haven't seen them do to much. They run the jet, they will fake the jet and run thronhill. They do trap on about every run play. When they throw they haven't thrown an interception all year. I say they because they will put #3 at qb and let him throw it to thornhill. When you do get pressure you have to do it with great discipline if not thornhill will take off for a big gain.

I disagree. I think Honaker can ground it out on them. 

PMCs Offense is about as different from Honakers as run games can be. PMC is T/Wing-T. They run Dawson on Dive, Quick Pitch, and a slow developing Blast play. Honakers straight Leads are much different and cant be stopped in the same way. Imo for Honaker to win they will have to get the PA Pass game going to keep the defense from just attacking. the heavy set they ran against Radford wont work consistently

Altavista held Galax to under 150 yards of total offense and beat Galax 56-7.

Im certainly not arguing that they arent good at all because I think we are the underdog here but wasnt the Galax/AV game early in the season? Assuming you went to that game and watched Galax some .. do you think it would have been a different game toward the end of the season. It seemed Galax got better as the year went. Was that an egg by Galax? I think of CWood getting beat by Grayson like 66-6 or something and CWood reeled off wins the rest of the season to win the State championship that year?

Altavista is to fast, big, and strong for Honaker. Honaker will not be able to line it up and run down thier throats. The tigers better put up at least 40 to even have a chance. Altavista will spread them out all over the field and take advantage of their speed. Altavista is tough and will prolly win out.

As much as I would like to see Honaker win, I doubt they are up to the task.  I saw the highlights of the Altavista/Dan River game.  They look incredible on both sides of the ball.

Altavista has really turned around their program.  It was not very long ago that they dropped out of the VHSL because they could not field competitive teams.  Now they are rock solid.  I read somewhere that they have "a little more discretion" in who can play there due to being a "combined" high school.  I looked them up online and their name is Altavista Combined High School.  What is a combined high school?  I know there is a school in Southside VA that is allowed to take basically anybody as long as they meet the age requirements.  Cannot recall their name though, maybe Sussex something or the other?  They are usually very good in basketball.  Is something like that the reason A-town is now a powerhouse? 

When I saw that the schools name is Altavista Combined I assumed it was the Middle and High schools together. I just assumed the Altavista building housed the Middle and High school kids. There is a Altavista Elementary and Altavista Combined but no Middle school.

For example JW Adams Combined School is the Elementary and Middle for the Pound/Eastern Wise Co area.

Well, the game is played on the field for a reason. We can talk numbers and stats all day, but we put 11 offensive and 11 defensive players on the field and ask them to play their best game possible and may the best team win. Let's just hope it's the Tigers!

No one in the VHSL has "a little more discretion"... they all have the same basic guidelines, although schools can have STRICTER rules, like a C in all courses, not just a 2.0 overall (or whatever)

From http://www.altavistaontrack.com/education ... 

The Altavista Combined School, located at 904 Bedford Avenue, combines the Altavista Middle School (grades 6-8) and the Altavista High School (grades 9-12) into one institution. AMS essentially operates a school within a school under a single principal. 

I would beg to differ.  Maggie Walker, Appomattox Regional, and Thomas Jefferson schools are VHSL schools who can and do select their students from a wide region.  No tuition required.  While known mostly for academics, they do field successful sports teams.  There is also a school in Southside (but the name eludes me at the moment) that is allowed to accept any student/athlete from the Commonwealth.  I am pretty sure this school is designed with problem children in mind but they do field a very good basketball team which competes in the VHSL.   I saw them in the Group A tourney a few years ago before the reclassification. 

I think it is either Loudoun or Stafford County (maybe both) that allow the students in those counties to chose which of the many county schools they want to attend regardless of boundaries.

Additionally, do not schools bordering other states have discretion when it comes to allowing non residents to attend VA schools without paying tuition? 

So, yes, there are instances of "discretion" allowed.  Maybe not by Altavista but there are exceptions.

Galax is not a good TEAM! They don't play defense and they can't throw it. All they have figured out is how to run the ball and they do it very well!

Galax defends the run exceptionally well.  According to the local paper, they held 6 of the final 7 opponents to under 100 yards rushing.  They held Haysi to 21 yards on the ground.  Galax can't defend the pass, nobody will argue against that but you lose credibility by making a blanket statement that "they don't play defense"!

Offensively, Galax is far too dependent on the run.  I won't argue that fact either.  To say that is "all they have figured out" is another ridiculous assessment.  Their line play on both sides of the ball is some of the best in the state at that level.  I will put them up against anyone to hold their own.

Given where Galax football was before coach Dixon arrived, I would argue they have "figured out" quite a lot!