ALTAVISTA AT HONAKER

litltiger

Im certainly not arguing that they arent good at all because I think we are the underdog here but wasnt the Galax/AV game early in the season? Assuming you went to that game and watched Galax some .. do you think it would have been a different game toward the end of the season. It seemed Galax got better as the year went. Was that an egg by Galax? I think of CWood getting beat by Grayson like 66-6 or something and CWood reeled off wins the rest of the season to win the State championship that year?

The game was in late September and Galax did improve quite a bit since that time.  If that game would have been later in the season, I believe the score would have been much similar to last year but the result would still be an Altavista victory.  I can see an argument being made where Galax suffered from "bus lag" much like Clintwood did in that Grayson game.  I was at the Grayson/Clintwood game and the Galax/Clintwood game that season.  The Clintwood team that played Galax in Salem was nowhere near the team that laid an egg at Grayson.  Was it travel fatigue?  Who knows for certain.  

Galax wasn't manhandled like you would think given a 56-7 score.  Altavista scored on a pick-six, fumble and kickoff return.  They continually got a short field due to Galax inability to punt the football with any consistency. Galax was thoroughly outplayed on special teams.

In my opinion, Glenvar/Giles is not a good barometer for gauging upsets.  First, they play every year during the regular season which lends itself to familiarity.  Second, playing against a highly specialized offense like Giles twice in three weeks is a huge advantage.  Third, Glenvar sat several players the final few week of the regular season to have them healthy for the playoffs.

Well no doubt Honaker has had a tough draw in these playoffs. No doubt in my mind they are the underdog even playing at home. I do hope the Tigers can play physical and mistake free football. I haven't seen Altavista play but know they are for real. They probably have the best player in at least 1A. Going to be a tough one to win but you never know they may come down here and come out flat and turn the ball over a few times.

I will be pulling hard for Honaker!

Please don't misunderstand my previous posts.  I am pulling hard for Honaker and Haysi.  I would love to see an all SWVA final.

I just believe this Altavista team would win each of the lower three divisions and possibly 4A as well if they got the right match-ups.

vista may very well lay it on the tigers ,but if my memory is correct that was the same talk going on when Sussex come to town.i wouldn't go out on a limb that's could very well be cut off.unless ur willing to eat crow if it need be served to you.this is true for either team.

As much as I would like to see Honaker win, I doubt they are up to the task.  I saw the highlights of the Altavista/Dan River game.  They look incredible on both sides of the ball.

Altavista has really turned around their program.  It was not very long ago that they dropped out of the VHSL because they could not field competitive teams.  Now they are rock solid.  I read somewhere that they have "a little more discretion" in who can play there due to being a "combined" high school.  I looked them up online and their name is Altavista Combined High School.  What is a combined high school?  I know there is a school in Southside VA that is allowed to take basically anybody as long as they meet the age requirements.  Cannot recall their name though, maybe Sussex something or the other?  They are usually very good in basketball.  Is something like that the reason A-town is now a powerhouse? 

I am curious if the rise of Altavista and the fall of Gretna programs are connected.  Those communities are so close together, I wonder if some of that talent migrated to Altavista from Gretna.

Here is the write up from Altavista's game with Parry McCluer..  I find the headline hilarious::  Introducing your Region 1A East Champs: The Altavista Colonels!! LOL!!!!

http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/altavista-overcomes-early-deficit-to-claim-region-a-east-title/article_b63bb576-7784-11e4-bf99-f3f59a33f9bf.html

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

someone should tell them!!

Any team and any time can be beat IMHO... We got a shot ... that's all we need and listen:  gotta beat them to move on, if you don't ... you won't. One thing I know is this bunch of Tigers will give it their all and I think may surprise some!!!

I played for him at Carroll County in 1989.  He is one of the most arrogant human beings I have ever encountered. 

Thurman's Gretna team had the worst attitudes of any team I've ever seen.... well Sussex was pretty bad a couple years ago....

That Gretna connection was what I was alluding to earlier.  I recall a couple of years ago that Gretna's best athlete, both football and basketball-wise, transferred to Altavista and changed his name.  The Gretna folks were beside themselves.  But on that kids behalf, I would not have wanted to play for Thurman either.  Catolaro (sp), I can live with or without.  He was not much when at VHS or Orange County. 

O-streak, that Thurman attitude has also worn thin at Harrisonburg High School.  I am SOOOOOO glad he is not at VHS. When we recently relocated to Rockingham County, I made sure we were not in the Harrisonburg HS boundary.

I have never experienced Gretna.  Galax's former football coach came here from William Campbell.  He used to tell stories of how adults would pair sandlot teams using kids from William Campbell, Gretna and Altavista in an effort to keep them together throughout high school.  They would attend the high school that had the best coaching staff at the time.  It makes sense if you look at records over the years for those three schools.  

He could have been completely full of crap for all I know.  He did win a couple state titles at William Campbell as an assistant before coming to Galax.  He would talk about "Campbell Countying" a few of Grayson and Carroll Counties better players to bring over to Galax.  I am sure they are not the only ones who do it.  A disproportionate number of eastern Grayson County and western Carroll County residents send their kids to Galax City schools for athletic purposes and simply, less travel.