ALTAVISTA AT HONAKER

litltiger

Honaker is a very good football team and Alta Vista better not underestimate them.  With that said, I do think the advantage goes to Alta Vista. D1 talent makes a difference in games like this.  However, I would like to see the boys from Southwest Virginia pull it off.  Good luck Honaker.

Honaker is a very good football team and Alta Vista better not underestimate them.  With that said, I do think the advantage goes to Alta Vista. D1 talent makes a difference in games like this.  However, I would like to see the boys from Southwest Virginia pull it off.  Good luck Honaker.

I think Honakers style of Offense neutralizes that D1 talent a little Defensively.

well everyone says speed kills,....welll it does.....if your'e driving a car, motorcycle,4-wheeler..... etc..... i remember  just abit ago...sussex central had left the field on fire against covington, and an 88-8 victory.."we got speed ".. they said, then they face this big, slow, clintwood team.....well i was there, towards the end, after that big,slow team had knocked the stuffings out of them...they just got tired of getting hit.....and now "we know the rest of the story"....

teams always matchup different.you never kno till the games played.i was expecting Sussex to spank honaker a couple yrs ago with all that SPEED.this very same talk was all over the boards.sometimes that speed makes the sudden stop hurt a little worse.if honaker don't contain and read well it could get ugly ,but they have done something right to be where they are.i think if vista has strength and size up front to go with that SPEED,it will be a tough out for the tigers.GO TIGERS.win or lose you have gave us some extra post season excitement.

no I don't think honaker holds them back,i think its a individual decision by parent and student.some call it holdbacks some call it failing.lol. it was failing back in the day.some kids might need it, some don't.thats very debatable and has many different views.

Honaker doesnt hold them back, they choose to hold back. Honaker has just under 400 students an this year they have 20 Seniors on the football team...  Of course some are holdbacks.

Is there an issue there? Not really.  I hope the young men that did hold back have used that extra year to better prepare themselves for college or further developed a trade

Yea it's true and it's not the past 5 years. I graduated in 09 and it was going on long before that.

I decided to hold back in the 8th grade. Was it mostly driven by sports? Yes. No one made me it was a family decision actually the school really don't like it. It was the best thing that happened to me I enjoyed every minute of it and it gave me an extra year to mature before being thrown to the real world. And it's not just honaker doing it either.

I think a lot of parents like to do it also because they feel like they get to keep their child attached to home 1 more year.on the other hand ,ive heard some complain about taxpayers having to pay for that extra yr for no reason but sports.i look for the hold back thing to stop as the economy gets worse ,but im not up to date if this is the way things work or not,and how much money is actually lost for this type of thing.

My brother would have graduated as a 17 year old way back in the eighties.  Mom and Dad felt he was too immature as a 12 year old to enter junior high school so he was held back.  It ended up being one of the best things to happen for him.  He became an honor roll student in Junior and High School.  The year between his junior and senior year he made tremendous physical strides and ended up earning a scholarship to play baseball.  That extra year was huge in his life. 

Honaker is certainly not the only program to have kids "red-shirting" as the locals call it.  It goes on everywhere and has been for decades.  Most parents send kids to school at first opportunity based on socioeconomic circumstances.  Having kids begin school a little early or on time allows parents to concentrate on providing for the family.  Once the kids are older, they are more independent an better able to care for themselves for short periods, it becomes less of an issue for the parents so they begin to think of what may be best for the kid.  Athletics is a part of that and gets an overwhelming majority of the attention.  But, there are other factors not typically mentioned.

My brother and I both graduated at 17 and were by far and away, the youngest kids in our class.  It was a non-issue for most of our school years, but occasionally, was an issue.  For instance, when everyone else was getting learners permits and drivers licenses, we still had a year to wait.  While all of my classmates attended driver education class, I had study hall.  The following year, I had drivers education with the kids a grade level behind me while my classmates were in gym.  

I should also mention, I was a late bloomer.  I left home for boot camp 3 days after high school graduation.  By September, I had grown 6 inches and gained 40 pounds.  It would have benefited me greatly to have had another year in high school.