SWVA Football Stadiums and Rivalries

The People's Champ

I would like to see some games in SWVA over the next few years.  What are the can't miss rivalry games I should try to see?  And also, are there any stadiums that I should see a game in?  I have heard that Honaker has a nice facility and that I should try to make a try to see a Giles home game, any other good ones?

I know this question is a little premature as we still have 2 weeks of football left, but any info would be appreciated!

I would like to see some games in SWVA over the next few years. What are the can't miss rivalry games I should try to see? And also, are there any stadiums that I should see a game in? I have heard that Honaker has a nice facility and that I should try to make a try to see a Giles home game, any other good ones?

I know this question is a little premature as we still have 2 weeks of football left, but any info would be appreciated!

Graham/Bluefield is always a good one. Richlands/Union never disappoints. Grundy/Hurley. Richlands/Bluefield. Gate City/Lee. Just a few.

GW/FC has been pretty good over the past couple of years. When competitive, there's not a more intense rivalry in the state than Marion and Abingdon, and it looks like this year was just a preview of how competitive that rivalry will probably be over the next few years. Union vs. Lee and Marion vs. Chilhowie seem to be games where you can throw any preconceived notions that you may have out the window, it's going to be a good game, and of course Marion vs. Chilhowie is one of the longest uninterrupted rivalries in SWVA. A game that people don't talk about very much is Galax vs. Grayson County, but that one has had some classics recently.

Of course, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Abingdon against pretty much anybody west of Blacksburg....lol.

In the years to come that could be very true. There is some anti Abingdon sentiment in swva and if the Abingdon program continues to develop there could be some epic games in the future

The Galax Grayson rivalry has only been a rivalry for a handful of years in terms of competitiveness.  From 1988 through 2008, Galax only won three times and the games were rarely competitive.  The same can be said for Galax and Carroll.  The games had gotten so out of hand from a competitive standpoint Carroll dropped the series about a decade ago.  Galax has since developed into one of the states finest 1A programs under Dixon's leadership.  Coaching makes a world of difference.  Now if Galax can develop a passing attack and learn to defend the pass a little better, the sky is the limit.  

Some friends and I are planning to visit every SWVA facility over the next few years to catch some of the best match-ups our part of the state has to offer.  We plan on starting in Bluefiled on August 28.

Tiger, I was just referring to the major dislike for AHS around here.  It has gotten better this year alone, that's for sure.  I was trying to be funny by saying that everyone around here liked beating AHS more than any other team due to them being 3A. Like I said though, folks here were really cool this year to AHS, for the most part.

Stadium wise, here are a few of my favorites that I have either played at or watched a game at:

Ernie Hicks Stadium of course, 

Legion Field, 

The Cliff, 

Ralph Cummins Stadium,

Bullitt Park,

Mitchell Stadium, 

and

I know most think I'm joking but when Grundy has a good team, Nelson Memorial is a fun place to play as well as watch a game. 

One for the books was classic Appalachia vs Powell valley matchups...it's hard to beat that rivalry

As far as the rivalry for the fans went, that one never cooled off...as far as the results on the field went, since the early 80's, it was very one sided. For the most part tho, when those two took the field a lot was at stake...only a couple miles of straightaway separate the two towns. Everybody is related to everybody.

One of the better articles ever written about the rivalry and consolidation of the schools was in the New York Times...captures the gist of it all very well. If you've never read it, here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/07/sports/football/07virginia.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0