Any coaches available for the G-Men???

MrSocko

But does a county employee get first choice over non employee?

Yes, non-employees school system employees can be hired. However, if an employee in the system wants the job, then they would get it.  Only time a non-school employee is hired is when a NO school employee has applied for the job. 

Mance does have a stranglehold on the recruiting in this area....  I've heard that Richlands may already have landed a couple of kids from the other county schools. 

Back on topic, however.... how about Little Freddie at Graham?   That would add a little extra to the rivalry....

Chris Akers a former ghs player is the name that I keep hearing. He is the head coach at rual retreat and is turning that program around. I know him and he has the energy and passion that is needed for our boys. I hope he is interested in the job. 

This team needs a complete overhaul. We are going to need to keep the assistants around because we need assistant coaches but none of them have the leadership ability needed to turn a program around.

Tony Palmer is the only man for this job! The kids have been through hell with Williams and the clowns from Salem!! its now time to let Palmer take over and bring life back to Graham High School. If Palmer isn't named head coach kids will be transferring out of Graham because they have had enough as well as the fans/community. it's time to get back to the basics and restore pride that has been lost.

Palmer was a part of the problem. If he was so great it would have translated to the field..He was a coach on the staff right????????????......also if the kids liked him so much they would have stayed to be around him. This is not a job for a first time head coach. This is one of the better programs in the state still and its just too much for him to handle. How can you go from a cop in WVA to a head football coach? this is a joke!

Whatever happens, they need to get somebody who can coach defense....that has been the big issue all along....  They need to get somebody that the kids like and respect, as well....

It hasn't taken a rocket scientist to beat Graham the past oh.....decade or so..... (They gave up over 41 points per game this season....I'd go out on a limb and say they've given up about 40 points per game over the past 9 seasons on average.....)

It's all been about the defense and will coninue to be until somebody can come in and straighten the defense out.

Tell me how a group of kids can beat a team 58-0 in Middle School and turn around and get beaten by that same group of kids (+ a few of their own and others that transferred in)....to the tune of 40-0 a few years later.

The athletes are there, that was evident at the basketball game last night......

LilG's that name fits you right cause with those comments I consider you a youth coach or a little league fan... Palmer is a police officer you are correct good job there and he spends every evening and every free minute he has with those kids. Yes he is a coach at Graham High another good observation but did you ever see him calling the plays this past year on D???? NO I will answer that one for you! Williams didn't let him coach anything because once again Williams is an IDIOT! Palmer is the only person for this job end of story the man knows D and can rebuild this program that Salem has brought down!

Chris Akers needs to be on everyone's list as a strong candidate for the job.  Akers is currently the Head Coach at Rural Retreat High School with experience at larger schools.  He is a Graham Alumnus who played for Glen Carlock, Sr. and would be committed to transforming the the program back to being a contender.  Graham still has the players, they just need a leader at Head Coach.  I have read the comments about hiring from the current staff.  However, who promotes an assistant coach from within a strugglying program?  Also, isn't this what the former coach William wanted when he was quoted in the local newspaper?  "I would like to see somone from my staff get the position."  Maybe William still wants to be involved from behind the scences.  No matter who is selected it needs to be someone who is not from the current regime.  Total change is needed and it has to start with the Head Coach.

I totally agree with the comments of EH31.  I don't believe Graham's current assistant coaches are bad, they just need new leadership.  Remember assistant coaches come and go but the Head Coach sets the tone for the program.  Graham needs to hire someone who will bring a new and fresh approach to the team.  Also, this person needs to be a teacher/coach who will not only lead his players in practice and games but be part of their day to day lives at school.  Football is not a minor sport and takes a year round committment.  Experience in other successful programs and Head Coach experience is a must for Graham's successor.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with any comments that have been posted but here is what I know to be a fact:

1-Williams called most of the shots and didn't take many suggestions from the staff. (that didn't work out so well for him.)

2-I've heard some of the names rumored to be interested in the job and I'm sure that Carlock and O'neal will make the best choice they can. Regardless, there will be complaints about anyone they choose (by me as well LOL).

3- I don't know much about the Akers kid but have heard good things about what he has done at RR. He's a Graham/Carlock boy that knows the tradition.

4. I know Palmer well and he has been coaching long enough to deserve a shot at being a head coach if that is who Carlock/O'neal choose. Besides, one never gets HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE unless you are hired as a head coach. Plus, the kids do like him, he is a Graham/Carlock guy as well, and he's young enough to have some exciting and fresh ideas. Also, I read on here people talking about needing to be a teacher to coach or needing to be at the school all the time, Palmer does have his teaching degree and all Tazewell Co./Graham has to do is throw him in a job. (I.e. William's old job).

I think tp is an ok guy but being the kids buddies and leading them is two different things. Let's be real if he was a true leader he would have rose to the top and won Williams over. We can argue this forever but the long story short is they don't give Akers or someone that has been proven the job they are never gonna be the program they used to be.