Any coaches available for the G-Men???

MrSocko

Hopefully they'll get a coach that's concerned when he has injured players. The junk I watched the other guy do on the sidelines a couple of times when Graham had a kid get hurt was sickening. If an opposing team's trainer comes across the field to check on a player before you decide to check on them, there's something wrong.

CoachB4 from your comments above you know Palmer well and the kids like him.  So, he is a good guy and gets along with a few current players who will not be there in the long term.  If you really were a coach before then you should know when you are an assistant coach it is easy to be one of the guys and keep the kids happy.  It is a big part of being an assistant coach.  However, when you become a Head Coach and you can't make everyone happy for the good of the team, maybe more players will not be your buddy.  You said the don't know much about Chris Akers who is not a "kid" with over 10 years of winning experience in much larger programs.  Chris was a long time assistant coach at AAA George Washington High School in Danville where he served also as the Head JV Coach and in his final years was their offensive coordinator and won their District.  He left Danville with his former Head Coach going to Roanoke and William Fleming High School to become an offensive coordinator helping them to revitalize their program.  He wanted to be a Head Coach and was selected for the job at Rural Retreat High School.  In his first year he took Rural Retreat back into the playoffs despite only have two returning starters and mostly underclassmen.  Beating Mountain Empire teams Bland, Narrows and Grayson County (who beat Graham).  Had two running backs with over 1,000 yards rushing who never ran the ball before this year.  Does Mr. Palmer have these coaching credentials?  This would be like saying if the Chief of Police job came open in Bluefield, VA that Akers would be an equal candidate to long term Police Office Palmer just because he has friends in the community and watched a few CSI television shows.  If Graham gets Akers as their Head Coach they will be the lucky ones. 

I do apologize GOGMENGO if I offended you or Mr. Akers. I called Mr. Akers a KID because he is much younger then I, not because of his inexperience. Also, it seems to me like you have a problem with Mr. Palmer as well by your derogatory remarks about him. It also seems to me that your idea of an assistant coach and mine are two different things. IMO, an assistant coach should take the same approach to coaching as the Head Coach that he works under. That creates continuity and strong leadership and in Mr. Palmers case, just because some of the players like you doesn't mean you aren't worthy of a head coaching job. As far as credintials go, I'm not doubting any of Mr. Akers' but I do know that Mr. Palmer has some hisself including a four your stint as a DC with the short lived Barons semi-pro team that won the only four conference championships that were in. I'm sure both are very qualified but all I'm saying is don't put down anyone without knowing all of the facts about them which I do not have about either one.

Yes, Chris Akers was part of the George Washington coaching staff which produced the AAC Offensive Player of the Year at Virginia Tech and former NY Giants' running back, David Wilson.  

CoachedB4, I have nothing against Tony Palmer. I remember him as a excellent player on the Graham 1989 State Championship Football Team and I am not even going to comment on his so called Barons' experience.  However, in my opinion he simply just does not have the coaching experience or qualifications to be the Head Coach of a tradition rich football program such as Graham. I do have concerns with those on this forum trying to promote an unproven assistant coach from within a struggling program into the Head Coach position.  Remember Graham lost 70-0 in their last playoff game and I believe Graham needs a complete change of direction starting with a Head Coach who should not be from the current staff.  If they were winning, I would feel differently.

Chris Akers is not even my first choice.  If I were choosing my first choice would be Nick Colobro a former Bluefield Beaver, former Tazewell Head Coach, former Gate City Head Coach who is retired but still assisting at Abingdon High School.  There are others who come to mind that are very qualified too such as Greg Mance from Richlands (Sorry GMen, Richland is now a much better job and he is not coming), I.S. Ingo from George Wythe who won a State Championship two years ago, Dave Litz who won the last State Championship in Tazewell, Bobby Wyatt, Harris Hart, Beckley Head Coach and former Bluefield Beaver John Lilly, former long term assistant and Graham Head Wrestling Coach, Tim Woodward, younger Freddie Simons who assists his father at Bluefield  and even Glenn Carlock Jr. who ran the offensive for his father.  

The last time Graham chose a "trainer" as Head Coach with no real coaching experience and you see what happened.  I just hope history does not repeat itself.

Yes, Chris Akers was part of the George Washington coaching staff which produced the AAC Offensive Player of the Year at Virginia Tech and former NY Giants' running back, David Wilson.  

If that's the case, Graham should just find some assistant that was there when Ahmad was a G-Man, set back and watch the state titles roll in...

With the talent that Graham had when Ahmad was a G-Man....they didn't need a great coach.  As I said earlier, the defense is the problem, has been for a log time.  Get somebody who recognizes how to defend another team when they send an extra man out wide....and they'll  be o.k.

Whoever ends up with the Graham job needs to be somebody that understands the concept of tackling and playing physical football. Futbolking is 100% right...defense is what has been killing the G-Men. Defense has hurt Graham since Coach passed away. Defense was bad in the Marrs/WeeCee era and it was bad in the Williams era. 

Points/game allowed by Graham's last three coaches:

Carlock, Sr.  364 games  4,979 points  13.68 pts/game

Marrs  68 games  1,719 points  25.28 pts/game

Williams  44 games  1,296 points  29.45 pts/game

Well, that's significant!

Points/game allowed by Graham's last three coaches:

Carlock, Sr.  364 games  4,979 points  13.68 pts/game

Marrs  68 games  1,719 points  25.28 pts/game

Williams  44 games  1,296 points  29.45 pts/game

Well, that's significant!

Is it safe to assume Graham's level of competition has dropped somewhat since joining the MED?

At face value, those are some alarming trends in points allowed.  If my assumption is correct, face value only scratches the surface.

Is it safe to assume Graham's level of competition has dropped somewhat since joining the MED?

At face value, those are some alarming trends in points allowed.  If my assumption is correct, face value only scratches the surface.

I apologize to the fans of the other MED schools, but yes, the competition has dropped. 

I agree.

Graham gave up 41 + points per game this season, against lesser competition....Don't get me wrong, the MED has made great strides with the emergence of Fort Chiswell and Galax as contenders  in D-1, in addition to Grayson in D-2....

But Carlock wouldn't duck anybody.....including the likes of GW Danville, Elizabethton TN, Greeneville TN, Woodrow Wilson (Beckley), Gate City (back in the day),  Patrick Henry of Roanoke, Salem,  Bluefield, of course....Blacksburg, Christiansburg.....etc....  I'm sure some on here can think of other quality opponents that Graham played.  Graham would always scrimmage top notch programs like Pulaski County (in their hay day).... all of this despite having single A numbers the entire time while they played AA.....so dropping to single A is not an excuse here.  

SW VA Fan, thanks.  Nice memories from the "Old Southwest District"!!  I fondly remember that play and the 1981 G-Men with Eddie Neel, Eddie Hall, Mark Cundiff, Kimbo Spencer, Lee Grimes and the rest of the team.  Also, miss the "Old Southwest District" which included Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, Grundy, Marion, Patrick Henry, John Battle and Abingdon.  

SW VA Fan, thanks.  Nice memories from the "Old Southwest District"!!  I fondly remember that play and the 1981 G-Men with Eddie Neel, Eddie Hall, Mark Cundiff, Kimbo Spencer, Lee Grimes and the rest of the team.  Also, miss the "Old Southwest District" which included Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, Grundy, Marion, Patrick Henry, John Battle and Abingdon.

You left out Gate City and Virginia High...and Lebanon, the last few years...

• 3 weeks later...