VHSL reform

Beamerball

Just something else to benefit larger schools.

I'm mostly disappointed in Kevin Martingayle's bogus "representative democracy" argument. It's absurd to follow a "one student, one vote" model unless the students themselves are actually voting.

I actually know of Martingayle's work aside from this, and I just lost a mountain of respect for that man.

Sadly this is not only the case in regard to sports but in politics as well. The voices and opinions of SWVA fall on deaf ears because the powers-that-be do not fear us at the polls. There is not enough population to make a difference and more are leaving everyday. It looks like consolidation is a word we will be hearing more as well due to the aging of area facilities. Get used to it.

• 3 weeks later...

This smells like one of those "At the request of" bills.  Those are bills that legislators introduce at the request of some interest group in their district; that they don't expect to pass.

It generates a little heat but not much traction.  If that is the case, it won't make it out of commitee.

I hope I am right.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe those larger schools should just break away from the VHSL and form their own division.  They can then decide what they the want for everything relating to those larger schools and they wouldn't have to play anyone outside of themselves.  They can keep all the gate money between each other and if they want to decide to pay their players for playing sports, they can do that too.....

• 1 month later...

Maybe in the interest of saving money and increasing fairness the delegate from Gate City will introduce legislation requiring out-of-state student athletes to pay tuition and equipment fees.  Oh, wait....

Yep, lets get the government involved!

I propose a two house legislative body for the VHSL.

2 Votes per school District in one house

and

1 Vote per each 1,000 students per school district in the 2nd house.

all proposed bills must be passed in both houses and approved by the GRAND POOBA in order to go into effect.

SARCASM INTENDED

Gate City haters really are in some dire need of new material.

Not a GC hater actually.  Far from it in fact. 

But I don't understand why Virginians are so willing to pay for out-of-state athletes to attend our schools without paying tuition and play our sports without paying fees while taking participation time away from the children of Virginians who actually do pay taxes.  And since the local school's operating budgets are heavily subsidized from Richmond it means that people in Marion (for example) are being forced to foot the bill.  Meaning that Scott County couldn't actually afford to pay for its out-of-state atheletes on its own without help from across the state.

And all that without even considering the cost of one extra year that is essentially nothing but baby sitting the sport hold backs for an extra year.  And before anyone mentions safety concerns let me remind you that the current system is ideal at maximizing the potential size difference between a smallish freshman and the largest 19 year old senior.  It is entirely common for an 18 year old male to add 40 pounds in that extra year.