VHSL reform

Beamerball

That everyone is paying. Unless the school forces the parents to cover the amount of the cost of the extra school year, then all taxpayers are paying it.

But if the parents pay for the incurred costs of another extra year of school for any reason other than academic, then I have no issues at all.

Why don't they break the state into 2 sections east/west, upper/lower state. They do this in SC. They end up with more schools involved then the 2 champs in each class play for the

state championship. 

Why don't they break the state into 2 sections east/west, upper/lower state. They do this in SC. They end up with more schools involved then the 2 champs in each class play for the

state championship. 

You mean all the schools playing together?

VA doesent do that because some schools have around 200 students while others have almost 3,000

state championship. 

South Carolina has four classifications with two Divisions in each class...same as VA's old system...

Yeah, it shouldnt be like the old Indiana/Kentucky basketball system where its one huge tourney that does not account for size.

A team like Clintwood should not be playing Oscar Smith, or Gate City should not have to play Phoebus for a state title, thats a 2,000 student difference.

I read

"youre used to traveling 90 minutes to play but were not. Thats unfair"

and

"the fans of those little schools travel A LOT better than we do, its not fair that our fans suck"

A long drive is a long drive, get over it. And to the fans of those schools , LEARN TO BRING IT LIKE WE DO!!!

Sissys! Although I do kinda like the Big/Small idea, they can do what they want to do and we can do what we want. And if schools are dumb enough to play up then whatever. 

The article mentioned the 2 very good basketball programs as thought because the Bball programs were good it justified putting every other program at a severe competitive disadvantage. Stupid

Again, this topic cracks me up..... Virginia tax payers pay to send my kid to school.......... I bet it's the extra Gas they have to buy to send the bus across the line to pick him up.......oh wait!  or it's the lunch their having to buy for him because he gets it free..........oh wait! oh I know, it's the teacher they had to hire for him because they didn't need a teacher with just the Virginia kids........oh wait!  Not ONE dollar of Va tax payer money goes for my kid..... I pay enough Federal taxes that Every state gets it's fair share of, that my kid should be able to go to whatever school in whatever state he wants to.....    But I tell you what....... I work for the largest employer in the state of TENNESSEE - the majority of my coworkers are Virginians................  If Virginia's will stay on their side of the line and not take jobs away from my fellow TENNESSEEANS................ I'll stop sending my kid to Va to school.............  It's the same difference and equally ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW.... with the mention of "playing time" I'm not so sure these posts aren't from a disgruntled GC parent who's kid doesn't get to play........ I tell you what, get him away from the front of his X-box and he can go with my son to the gym at 5:30 am before school 3 days a week..... maybe he'll earn some playing time.

Well, if it will ease your pain, look at it this way.  Every state loves Tourism...... brings in 1000's of dollars each year.  View us Tennessean's as "Tourist", while touring VA daily, we get gas, groceries,  buy furniture in WC, 1000's spent at Pals in GC..... All of which taxes are paid on.

But if that doesn't help.  My Son will be a Senior next year...... when he graduates you should be getting a nice tax break.

My Son will be a Senior next year...... when he graduates you should be getting a nice tax break.

Not really, because there will be another or two or three right behind him that the residents of VA will have to pay for...

But if that doesn't help.  My Son will be a Senior next year...... when he graduates you should be getting a nice tax break.

I hope your son only gets accepted to expensive out-of-state schools and you have to foot the bill for all of it. 

Again, this topic cracks me up..... Virginia tax payers pay to send my kid to school.......... I bet it's the extra Gas they have to buy to send the bus across the line to pick him up.......oh wait! or it's the lunch their having to buy for him because he gets it free..........oh wait! oh I know, it's the teacher they had to hire for him because they didn't need a teacher with just the Virginia kids........oh wait! Not ONE dollar of Va tax payer money goes for my kid..... I pay enough Federal taxes that Every state gets it's fair share of, that my kid should be able to go to whatever school in whatever state he wants to..... But I tell you what....... I work for the largest employer in the state of TENNESSEE - the majority of my coworkers are Virginians................ If Virginia's will stay on their side of the line and not take jobs away from my fellow TENNESSEEANS................ I'll stop sending my kid to Va to school............. It's the same difference and equally ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW.... with the mention of "playing time" I'm not so sure these posts aren't from a disgruntled GC parent who's kid doesn't get to play........ I tell you what, get him away from the front of his X-box and he can go with my son to the gym at 5:30 am before school 3 days a week..... maybe he'll earn some playing time.

Three things:

You're incorrect regarding taxpayer money, to the tune of about $2030/year (the last year I checked the data, and that's been 7-8 years ago)

You're also incorrect about the state/federal dichotomy, as a far lesser percentage of federal monies go toward education than do state monies, and most federal dollars are earmarked for grants for which many public schools do not apply.

There's actually Supreme Court case law that governmental units cannot discriminate between citizens of states regarding employment using residency as a basis. Nice try.

Three things:

You're incorrect regarding taxpayer money, to the tune of about $2030/year (the last year I checked the data, and that's been 7-8 years ago)

You're also incorrect about the state/federal dichotomy, as a far lesser percentage of federal monies go toward education than do state monies, and most federal dollars are earmarked for grants for which many public schools do not apply.

There's actually Supreme Court case law that governmental units cannot discriminate between citizens of states regarding employment using residency as a basis. Nice try.

I+present+you+with+this+picture+may+you+

I always thought the cost per student was based on the salaries paid divided by the number of students.... if you took the TN students out, the equation would be the same, just different dollar amount per student.  I didn't know they actually raised your taxes by that amount every time a new student was enrolled.....  Also thought that while I was living in VA and working in TN for years I might add, that I was breaking the law.......... I never realized you could work across a state line!!  One wouldn't think you would need to follow a statement up with, yes, this is sarcasm, but if someone really took the time to look up Supreme Court Law over what was obviously a sarcastic comment!   On a serious note, I'll leave out the fact that my husband and I paid more state taxes in VA than most.... Our parents still live in Scott County where we were born and raised so I feel sure their tax dollars more than pay for their grandchildren to attend school.    whoever thinks the taxpayer buys equipment for that TN kid to play a sport is crazy!!! fund raisers pay for that.  The amount of money TN parents poor into the school system with donations, time spent working events, selling items... more than pays for their kids and many of those VA kids.   This isn't a legit arguement...... This is people simply ticked over Gate City being a school kids want to attend!!!!  Why not fuss over those kids from KY, WV, MD and NC....... All States that border VA and have kids that cross over!!!!!

and to address the Mayor of the Trailor Park.  I fully expect to pay for my son to attend college, Lord Willing.  just as we did his older sister.  As true taxpayers, our kids don't get it paid for!!!!

Why not fuss over those kids from KY, WV, MD and NC....... All States that border VA and have kids that cross over!!!!!

Just to address this one subject; MD wont be discussed on here because we arent near MD, very few kids cross over from KY, there is plenty of discussion about WV kids, and NC wont be discussed too much since Grayson, Galax and Carroll are the only schools represented here that NC applies to and I dont believe that many come over.

The fact is your Tennessee kid should be attending school in TN

Just to address this one subject; MD wont be discussed on here because we arent near MD, very few kids cross over from KY, there is plenty of discussion about WV kids, and NC wont be discussed too much since Grayson, Galax and Carroll are the only schools represented here that NC applies to and I dont believe that many come over.

The fact is your Tennessee kid should be attending school in TN

Galax gets a handful of students from North Carolina.  Three, to be exact.  However, their father is the wrestling coach at Galax High School.  I am certain that plays a role.

Carroll County loses several students to North Carolina based on topography.  I wouldn't send my children 20 miles over Fancy Gap Mountain to attend school.  Mount Airy, North Carolina is on an equal footing from a topographical standpoint and is only 4 or 5 miles from Cana, Virginia.