Thad Wells named head coach at Blacksburg High

rvtne216

From the Blacksburg Touchdown Club Facebook page

BHS Announces New Head Football Coach

Blacksburg, VA: Thad Wells, from Walterboro, South Carolina, has been named the new Head Football Coach at Blacksburg High School. Wells spent the last year as the Assistant Athletic Director, Head Football Coach and History teacher at Colleton Preparatory Academy. Prior to that, he spent time as an assistant coach at Radford, Virginia High and Richlands High Schools.

BHS Athletic Director Peter Lyell states: “It is with great pleasure and anticipation that I welcome our new head football coach, Mr. Thad Wells to the Blacksburg Athletics Family. I have tremendous respect for Coach Wells as a football coach and, more importantly, as a person--the person who will lead our young men and shape the future of our program for years to come.â€
Wells is a graduate of Richlands High School where he played under current Coach Greg Mance. He was a 3-year starter and led the team to the state semi-finals as the starting quarterback and safety his senior year. He received his undergraduate degree from Radford University and his Masters from Liberty University.

Wells coached under Mance for 2 years at Richlands. “His commitment to coaching was far about and beyond anything I had previously experienced. He consistently brought players in before and after practice to watch film or to go over schemes. His knowledge of the game and his ability to relate to the players were very special--so special, I relinquished the offensive play-calling duties over to Thad. We went 9-2 and averaged 30 points a game,†Mance states.

Wells has a very clear philosophy. “My time at Richlands, Radford and Virginia High has given me a blueprint for building a program, not just a team. Winning is important, however, we will be a team built on a foundation of integrity, respect and hard work.â€

Wells’ family is excited about coming back to the area. “My wife and I lived in Blacksburg for four years while we finished college and while I coached at Radford. There is no other coaching job in Virginia that I want. We love the community and we are committed to being a positive aspect of it. I love the people that live there and I know what kind of talent is in the school system. It is the community I want my son and future children to be raised in.â€

The school plans to introduce Wells and his family at the upcoming winter Pep Rally on Friday, February 13th. Wells' appointment is pending board approval.

4 years, 4 different coaching jobs

Moving up the ladder each time. That's what you do as an assistant. You should be thankful for the year he gave you guys.

Wish him all the best up there. He will have some challenges, but he can do it if given time.

I guess taking basically a lateral transfer as head coach at one school to another is "moving up the ladder".  Nothing against this guy at all...I do not know him, but coaches who have happy feet rarely succeed in the long term.  Maybe he has simply been trying to get to the current job and those other jobs were stepping stones.  Time will tell. 

Side bar...Ryan, retract your claws and stop typing.  This is an observation based upon years of experience and not an indictment on Richlands. 

Is it not possible that this guy wanted to come back closer to home?  I don't know him but assuming his wife is from this area as well, it makes sense he would not stay in South Carolina if given a reasonable opportunity locally.

Yes, had a lot to do with being closer to "home"...

http://www.colletontoday.com/news/cpa-football-coach-to-leave-sports-the-press-and-standard/article%202f539330-b096-11e4-bb2e-639ac9922f98.html

I guess that's a concept a lot folks just don't understand nowadays...<cough>Bob</cough>...

Great to hear for Thad, great young coach. I hope he is flexible because i'm not sure if Blacksburg is a spread passing team; hes also in a very tough conference. 

I hope Blacksburg works out for the guy.  I have always liked that program/school.  I liked their old coach and I like his son.  Believe me, I understand the nuances associated with keeping the little lady happy by moving closer to "home".  I was able to hold out longer than most. 

I figured saying something "less than glowing" about a former Richlander would garner a few responses.  

It absolutely had a lot to do with being back close to home. The whole family are big Va Tech fans and both of his sisters are students at Va. Tech. It will be a big challenge for him but he will work and put in as much time as anybody. I am excited for him and his family and wish him and Blacksburg well. It will be interesting to see if he can move them in the direction of the spread offense. It may be difficult to bring a successful change.

Good luck Coach Wells and Blacksburg!

• 2 weeks later...

"There is no other coaching job in Virginia that I want. We love the community and we are committed to being a positive aspect of it. I love the people that live there and I know what kind of talent is in the school system. It is the community I want my son and future children to be raised in."

Well,  I wish Thad well and hope he has great success !  I was always hoping that he might come back to Richlands to take over whenever coach Mance decided to retire,  but after reading this quote from him,  I am not so sure he will come back here.  But if Blacksburg is where he and his family are happy,  then that is where he should be .