Who is the new Graham coach?

LilG's

Job is still posted on the county website. My guess is that you will know in July, when the board approves new hires for the new school year. The new coach may know well ahead of time, but can't officially act as the coach until July. Unfortunately, football coach is a year round job....but the contract starts in July. If it is somebody already on staff...they can get these kids preparing early. If not, kids may have to learn a new system in a hurry...Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing on the defensive side of the ball.

I'm sure Tony has them in the weight room and conditioning already for next season. Its the x's and o's that I would be most concerned about.

Williams did a great job of getting those kids into shape...they have a great group of young athletes coming back. Most starters are retuning...as well as at least one kid that moved away and is returning.that I believe will make a huge impact on the defensive side of the ball.…. Future looks bright. Gotta get that defense straightened out and with the speed, size and strength that Graham has returning....with the right coach at the helm, they could be very solid.

Why would graham hire a richlands guy that has proven that he can not coach???  The names I have heard are compton, palmer, akers and dudley. The only one of those with any success is akers. I hear his name a lot  but I wonder if he would be willing to leave rural retreat? We just need someone that is going to stay for the long haul and has already proven himself. This program can be good in the next few years but it is going to take the right person. Hopefully they will start interviewing quickly!

LilG's how are you going to say Palmer has never had any success??? Does winning a State Championship count as success??? Does making the All State team count as success??? Does playing College football count as success??? Palmer has put the gear on and been a vital member of this program and the community of Bluefield VA. I'm sorry but i'm not sorry Akers was a kicker in high school, I mean really man..... I have said it once and I will say it again if Tony doesn't get the job then Richlands' and Bluefield will be happy cause kids will be transferring ,I know this for a fact having talked to parents.

noles some of your information is incorrect. I know that palmer didn't play college football unless bluefield state has a team that i did not know about and he works for  bluefield WEST VIRGINIA . Either way this is not about who was the best football player 20 years ago if thats the case lets just hire compton and he would kick everyones ass and win all the games. You have to remember that this is a school program and tony is a not even a teacher. You know they always want to hire a teacher instead of someone not in the school. 

We need a coach that is experienced as a head coach! maybe coach simon can come over the border

LilG's how are you going to say Palmer has never had any success??? Does winning a State Championship count as success??? Does making the All State team count as success??? Does playing College football count as success??? Palmer has put the gear on and been a vital member of this program and the community of Bluefield VA. I'm sorry but i'm not sorry Akers was a kicker in high school, I mean really man..... I have said it once and I will say it again if Tony doesn't get the job then Richlands' and Bluefield will be happy cause kids will be transferring ,I know this for a fact having talked to parents.

I would be happy to see Palmer get the job, but I disagree that you have to have been a player to be a good coach. Case in point, former Graham basketball standout Shane Compton has become a terrific offensive coordinator at SouthernLee in North Carolina. I would love for him to have an interest in the job, but I believe his wife has roots in North Carolina... That guy has an aptitude for sports in general and would be successful coaching any sport IMO. Whatever happens, the big issue for Graham will not be who the head coach is, but rather who will be in charge of the defense that has seriously struggled for quite a few years now.

I do agree that Palmer has put in the time and deserves a shot, the kids do like him and they will surely come out to play for him. Akers would be a great choice as well.

LilG's once again we meet. What i'm saying is Palmer deserves a shot because he has been with these kids he knows the game and will be a win if Graham does hire him. I also know for a fact that every coach has been an assistant somewhere before they got a head coaching job, Tony has put in his time and now it should be his opportunity. Look what he has done assisting the b-ball team they are now 20-2, I think that is pretty decent but what do I know. The kids at Graham High all want Tony to be the coach I know this because I have a brother who plays and is a standout at Graham. Yes Tony isn't a teacher but I do know he is applying and hopefully can get on asap. I have also heard the rumor that Shane Compton if Tony was to get the job will help the G-MEN this upcoming season.  

I'm not picking sides here, I just hope that whoever gets the job is qualified and gets the support of the athletic department and community. However, that is the most ridiculous logic I have ever heard. How many times have we seen excellent athletes fall flat on their face as a coach? Meanwhile, Doug Blevins has never kicked a football in his life, and is one of the most sought after kicking coaches to be involved in the sport. I'm not saying that Palmer wouldn't be successful, but to write off Akers because he wasn't a star athlete, when he has already proven his ability to coach, is asinine.

Although, let's be honest, it's all a moot point. Odds are, Akers will still in Rural Retreat this fall, and Graham will have a new coach that half of the community will be calling for to be fired by halftime against Bluefield. I hope I'm wrong, but it's the nature of the beast. Once you've had a taste of success, second best won't do, and patience isn't a trait that sports fans are known to practice.

I'd like to see Tony Palmer get a shot at it. He has been there, seen what hasn't worked and hopefully can fix it. The players respect him and will play hard for him. My son's were there back in the Marrs era and the one coach they liked and respected the most was Tony Palmer. But whoever gets the job I hope they can teach tackling and defense because IMO that's what has killed Graham.

If it's that soon it almost has to be TP, right?

not necessarily,  just means that they are taking a name to the school board for a vote on monday night.  Could be anybody.  Could be you.  lol

not necessarily, just means that they are taking a name to the school board for a vote on monday night. Could be anybody. Could be you. lol

Ive only coached a little league soccer team, but I have won the Super Bowl 3 straight years on my madden franchise. Couldn't be any worse, right?

I hope to see before I die, the time come that we Graham fans get off the back of the people that coach our teams, say nothing when good can't be said, and provide examples that instill respect for the staffs. When that happens, we will accomplish much more than out scoring opponents, and isn't that the goal of athletics at this level?

If it is Tony Palmer... this is a good hire!! I can tell you that the previous 2 coaches did not allow assistants to have much say in game planning. Marrs/WeeCee ran the show and Williams ran his own show. Palmer was one of about 2-3 coaches that my son respected and played hard for during the Marrs/WeeCee regime. Palmer knows football, has a passion for the game and teaching players how to play the right way. He is a former G-Man and bleeds GHS...he deserves an opportunity. Hope the G-Men faithful will support him and the players!!