Who is the new Graham coach?

LilG's

I like TP. He was a hell of a football player, thats a fact. He won us a State Championship, but does it translate over to coaching? I guess only time will tell. I hope and pray that this is the answer we need, but I don't believe that it is, does he know the x's and o's? Does he have a game plan? What is his base defense? Are we gonna try to run the ball every play over and over like back in TP's days or are we going to implement a new system? These are answers that only time will tell...with that being said why hang the man out to dry when he hasn't had a shot yet? Why say negative things, once a gman always a gman and you should stand by whoever they choose for the job!

TP- if your reading this, we need a Defense, it wins championships. We need players that will fly around the football. We need a SPREAD offense, no more of this under center hand the ball off with a pulling guard. Welcome Graham to the 21st century with a new offense... I hope the best for Coach Palmer and all that he does with the program and I hope that he is succesful in all that he does on and off the field.

I like TP. He was a hell of a football player, thats a fact. He won us a State Championship, but does it translate over to coaching? I guess only time will tell. I hope and pray that this is the answer we need, but I don't believe that it is, does he know the x's and o's? Does he have a game plan? What is his base defense? Are we gonna try to run the ball every play over and over like back in TP's days or are we going to implement a new system? These are answers that only time will tell...with that being said why hang the man out to dry when he hasn't had a shot yet? Why say negative things, once a gman always a gman and you should stand by whoever they choose for the job!

TP- if your reading this, we need a Defense, it wins championships. We need players that will fly around the football. We need a SPREAD offense, no more of this under center hand the ball off with a pulling guard. Welcome Graham to the 21st century with a new offense... I hope the best for Coach Palmer and all that he does with the program and I hope that he is succesful in all that he does on and off the field.

I understand your concerns, as does TP.  I'm very certain that those issues will be addressed...toughness on defense and a spread offense to get play-makers in space. 

Its a new day with a new Sheriff in town...TIME TO BRING THE PRIDE BACK!!!

I understand your concerns, as does TP.  I'm very certain that those issues will be addressed...toughness on defense and a spread offense to get play-makers in space. 

Its a new day with a new Sheriff in town...TIME TO BRING THE PRIDE BACK!!!

I truely hope so! TP has the mental toughness for the job, I just want to see it on the field, Like I said i'm not doubting.....i'm just as curious as everyone else!

I liked everything he said in the Bluefield Daily Disappointment (BDT) today...hope he brings the toughness that the G-Men used to play with back to GHS!!

Great read....btw by any means don't mean this in any way but on one side note as his first accomplishment he is the first black head coach for Graham....I know that's beyond the point but worth noting. Hopefully 1 of his many accomplishments while running the progam. He has the pride factor down, and I believe that can rub off on the kids, I also love that he's making it a "family" so to say and bring the kids closer together.

Great read....btw by any means don't mean this in any way but on one side note as his first accomplishment he is the first black head coach for Graham....I know that's beyond the point but worth noting. Hopefully 1 of his many accomplishments while running the progam. He has the pride factor down, and I believe that can rub off on the kids, I also love that he's making it a "family" so to say and bring the kids closer together.

In football...Charlie Phelps was the head coach of the varsity basketball team back in the 80's.

• 3 weeks later...

TP and Shane Compton were best friends in their youth and played the guard positions at Graham together in the late 80's in hoops.  Compton is no longer at Southern Lee.  He has been at Crest High in Shelby-Boiling Springs, NC, as the OC for 2 years.  Crest won the state championship in December, 2014 and lost the state championship in 2013 in the final minutes.  Compton went to Crest from Southern Lee to coach under Mark Barnes which is where he gained much of his offensive knowledge while coaching with Mark Barnes at Scotland High.  Compton was at Southern Lee (new school at the time) for a couple of years prior to going to Crest and was at Scotland High with Barnes prior to Southern Lee.  Mark Barnes is somewhat of a legend in the HS football coaching circles in NC and one of the winningest in its history having had a 26 year run of coaching at Reidsville, Brevard, Scotland, and Crest.  Barnes is an offensive mind and this is where Shane Compton learned and studied regarding offense.  Mark Barnes left Crest a couple of months ago to take over at Sumter High in SC.