Off-season rumor mill...

GMan

Razor and I are doing our best !  ( sarcasm font needed ! )

This goes on everywhere and at every level,  from the pros with free agency, to the college level with hundreds of transfers every year,  a lot are 5th year kids,  but there are a bunch that aren't.  It has trickled  on down to the high school level and it happens nationally,  it is not just a local occurrence !  There is also AAU that sees kids move from team to team.  Where ever the kids and parents think it will benefit them the most ! 

You hardly ever heard of it back when I played, ( no internet or social media ) but it has grown to an almost epidemic stage now.  A couple of days ago I was reading a college recruiting blog and he stated that there are over 275 basketball players looking to transfer this coming year.  It seems to be a part of the culture now.

Richlands seems to be where a lot of the kids want to go now days because of the facilities,  the stability and quality of the coaching,  the huge fan base, and the winning tradition over the last 15 to 20  years,  but Graham has had their share in the past as well as Bluefield  and Gate City and a few of the other programs in the area .

In the future,  the kids will still transfer,  but it will probably be to a different school.  

I don't care much for it,  but it seems that that's the way it is now days.

Mance and Daniels are different tho. If you want to win high school football games go to richlands. Mance really doesn't move kids to the next level. Daniels reputation speaks for its self, if you want to play college baseball va high is the place to be.

Mance and Daniels are different tho. If you want to win high school football games go to richlands. Mance really doesn't move kids to the next level. Daniels reputation speaks for its self, if you want to play college baseball va high is the place to be.

?!?!

http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ringstaff_cain00.html

http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205372903&DB_OEM_ID=26800

http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/devon_johnson_812116.html

And that's just the Division I players I could recall from memory.  

Razor and I are doing our best !  ( sarcasm font needed ! )

This goes on everywhere and at every level,  from the pros with free agency, to the college level with hundreds of transfers every year,  a lot are 5th year kids,  but there are a bunch that aren't.  It has trickled  on down to the high school level and it happens nationally,  it is not just a local occurrence !  There is also AAU that sees kids move from team to team.  Where ever the kids and parents think it will benefit them the most ! 

You hardly ever heard of it back when I played,  but it has grown to an almost epidemic stage now.  A couple of days ago I was reading a college recruiting blog and he stated that there are over 275 basketball players looking to transfer this coming year.  It seems to be a part of the culture now.

Richlands seems to be where a lot of the kids want to go now days because of the facilities,  the stability and quality of the coaching,  the huge fan base, and the winning tradition over the last 15 to 20  years,  but Graham has had their share in the past as well as Bluefield  and Gate City and a few of the other programs in the area .

In the future,  the kids will still transfer,  but it will probably be to a different school.  

I don't care much for it,  but it seems that that's the way it is now days.

Putting myself in others' shoes, I can really understand why people dislike Richlands and their fans.  As in the post above, 99% of Richlands fans are "enablers" of this practice.  However, you nailed it on the head when you wrote "Where ever the kids and parents think it will benefit them the most !"  It is a selfish practice utilized by selfish people enabled by more selfish people.  The only good to come out of this practice is Devon Johnson.  That kid took advantage of his opportunity and is making the most of it.  His case, in my mind, is isolated from the rest.  Kids like him don't come around often.

High school football should teach fundamental life lessons such as respect, loyalty and perserverance.  The bottom line at Richlands, the most important rule is winning....period.  That in itself is very disappointing, to me atleast.

Putting myself in others' shoes, I can really understand why people dislike Richlands and their fans.  As in the post above, 99% of Richlands fans are "enablers" of this practice.  However, you nailed it on the head when you wrote "Where ever the kids and parents think it will benefit them the most !"  It is a selfish practice utilized by selfish people enabled by more selfish people.  The only good to come out of this practice is Devon Johnson.  That kid took advantage of his opportunity and is making the most of it.  His case, in my mind, is isolated from the rest.  Kids like him don't come around often.

High school football should teach fundamental life lessons such as respect, loyalty and perserverance.  The bottom line at Richlands, the most important rule is winning....period.  That in itself is very disappointing, to me atleast.

Too many things going on in my world so a bit late coming to the party.

I have to agree 200% on the selfish part.  I can honestly say the whole reason for the transfer is the wanting to play college ball.  Now I don't disagree that he does stand a better chance with Richlands but still.  How can a family that is die hard Bulldog and bleeds green just up and go to your most hated rival?  Maybe a difference in times but even though I never played sports I still am a die hard Bulldog and our motto was once a Bulldog always a Bulldog.  Most everyone that I have talked to the graduated before me and some way long before me agree with that completely.

All disrespect aside whatever happened to loyalty and pride for your home team?

Too many things going on in my world so a bit late coming to the party.

I have to agree 200% on the selfish part.  I can honestly say the whole reason for the transfer is the wanting to play college ball.  Now I don't disagree that he does stand a better chance with Richlands but still.  How can a family that is die hard Bulldog and bleeds green just up and go to your most hated rival?  Maybe a difference in times but even though I never played sports I still am a die hard Bulldog and our motto was once a Bulldog always a Bulldog.  Most everyone that I have talked to the graduated before me and some way long before me agree with that completely.

All disrespect aside whatever happened to loyalty and pride for your home team?

In my opinion, it started dying with school consolidation.  We no longer have community based schools.

Guys,  a lot on here ( NOT everybody )  acts like this is new,  that kids moving to a school that they and/or their parents think is a better fit for their kid,  whether it be for academic reasons,  or as for most,  athletic reasons,  has been going on for many decades.  It may be happening more often now,  but back in the 70's when I played,  I can remember hearing about the kids that transferred to Bluefield, Graham, Gate City and especially Salem.

I am not saying it is right,  as a matter of fact,  I stated in my other post that I didn't like it.  I have seen the good and bad of it from both sides,  from both my favorite high school and my favorite college team.

I transferred to Richlands back in the mid 70's when my family moved back here from Maryland.  

The county schools in Maryland where I lived and played ( Harford Co ) have several high schools that are VERY close together and I saw kids transfer a lot back then.  One would go to Edgewood High because their basketball program was better, and one would go to Bel-Air High because their football was better, and to Aberdeen High because their baseball, soccer and Lacrosse were better ( Lacrosse is a great game by the way ! )  point being that it has been going on for a long time,  but in today's world with the net ( fan forums ) and social media such they way it is,  we hear a great deal more about it.

It is happening more today,  I understand that,  but just pointing out that kids have been moving around for a long time and will probably continue to do so,  mostly the names of the schools have changed.  I would love to see kids stay home and rep their home town school,  and most still do,  it is just a small percentage of kids that move,  but usually it is a kid who is well thought of as far as his talent goes that usually decides to transfer,  and that usually makes the school he goes to very happy,  and the school he leaves ......very sad and angry. This is just my opinion,  and what I have seen,  playing for, and living in 2 very different towns and states. 

As the Apostle Paul states in scripture "I come not with enticing words of man's wisdom," but as a sports fan, hopefully, as one who can inject without rejecting others views.  Last year when the G-Men made the playoffs and faced Gate City, we knew they had a monumental task in front of them.  I made a post to the effect,  they use that opportunity as a building block for the upcoming year,  and  stay "G-Man strong."  I believe most Blues fans agreed with that.  The difference the way  I see it, the only time Tazewell and Graham are "rivals," are the night we Blues play them, other times they are Tazewell Countians, just as we are, and I root for them in their games. As a Richlands fan, I remember going to Bulldog Stadium and rooting for Tazewell the year they won the state championship.  Not just there to observe the game, BUT CHEER FOR THE DAWGS!!!  Just as the nation is loosing its identity as Americans,  and becoming nationalities instead, aren't we who post here doing the same to these kids and schools.  When our communities and county is faced with more pressing issues facing our children, are we not as the scripture says, "straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel."

I love my  Blues, but I BELIEVE more in our kids and their accomplishments,  not their school color. 

Without adding much new to the discussion, I will offer the observation that this is not a new issue by a long shot.  It’s complicated by economics, personal objectives, and family dynamics and further so by the varying policies among individual school divisions.

My dad had an interesting example from his own experience growing up in McDowell County, WV back in the 1950s.  Due to economic necessity, my grandfather relocated the family from Roderfield to Peel Chestnut Mountain circa 1955.  Having formed a great personal attachment to Welch High School, Dad opted to stay in Roderfield with his grandparents (although this wasn’t a matter of a residential “listing†– he actually lived in the house with them).  The property that my grandfather purchased straddled the Virginia/West Virginia state line, with the net effect that one of my uncles attended schools in the Northfork attendance zone on the WV side while the other went to Pocahontas on the VA side.  So essentially the three children in my father's family attended three different schools at the same time.

And as chance would have it, my dad and my Uncle Jim not only played against each other when Welch and Northfork met in 1957 – they literally played head to head.  Dad was the starting center for the Maroon Wave that season and Jim was a nose tackle for the Blue Demons.  (The makings of a fun trivia question that nobody has ever asked.)

You really didn't need to confirm that...if I post it, its the truth. You should know that by now...

Probably the same little bird that I heard it from and it might as well have been straight from the source...

Not beating the dead horse here but I understand if for job reason or such a transfer, but it still kills me to transfer just to go play with a team.  Maybe somebody that did on here can answer this.  What about all the people you went to school with for the first 12 years?  Some cases that might not be a bad thing!  I just can't see leaving that all behind for a single year.

Another philosophical question for everyone here.  If someone is all about me and transfers to another team, does that relieve an internal strain on the team he is departing and add an internal conflict on the team he is joining...

You really didn't need to confirm that...if I post it, its the truth. You should know that by now...

Oh trust me. I know what you say is right 99.9% of the time. But just in case others didn't believe you, my brother has a class with him.

Ultimately, I'm not convinced that transferring to "Generic Successful School" really improves any athlete's marketability as an individual prospect.  Precedent strongly indicates that there isn't any depth of Division 1 talent in Southwest Virginia to begin with.  And this still tends to hold true in the present age when recruiting services have access to data on all individual players at a ridiculously focused level.

On the other hand, local colleges like Emory & Henry seem to generate better results on the field when they can recruit kids from high schools that didn't fill their respective trophy cases.  I'm thinking in particular of the Wasp squads of the mid '80s that featured solid contributions from Richlands guys like Sandy Rogers, Jack Ginn, and Dale McGlothlin.  Their class at RHS had a four year W/L record of 14-26.

It also depends on the philosophy of those in charge of any given college program.  The folks I've interacted with directly in the field of recruiting have all stuck to the same story.  First, they are looking for basic athletic ability (which also corresponds closely to a certain body type and dimension in any given sport and any given position).  Beyond that, they are looking for kids who are "coachable" (which can mean any number of different things).  There are schools such as DeMatha who have carefully cultivated and promoted an image of producing talent.  But that's largely a myth. 

With the possible exception of Merrill Gainer's Beaver squads in the 1960s, no local program in the area seems to be able to make the claim that it can give players a "leg up" in terms of attracting collegiate attention.  Any recruiting which does take place would seem geared toward the immediate goal of improving an individual program's ability to win games and championships.  Just my two cents....