Off-season rumor mill...

GMan

Ultimately, I'm not convinced that transferring to "Generic Successful School" really improves any athlete's marketability as an individual prospect.  Precedent strongly indicates that there isn't any depth of Division 1 talent in Southwest Virginia to begin with.  And this still tends to hold true in the present age when recruiting services have access to data on all individual players at a ridiculously focused level.

On the other hand, local colleges like Emory & Henry seem to generate better results on the field when they can recruit kids from high schools that didn't fill their respective trophy cases.  I'm thinking in particular of the Wasp squads of the mid '80s that featured solid contributions from Richlands guys like Sandy Rogers, Jack Ginn, and Dale McGlothlin.  Their class at RHS had a four year W/L record of 14-26.

It also depends on the philosophy of those in charge of any given college program.  The folks I've interacted with directly in the field of recruiting have all stuck to the same story.  First, they are looking for basic athletic ability (which also corresponds closely to a certain body type and dimension in any given sport and any given position).  Beyond that, they are looking for kids who are "coachable" (which can mean any number of different things).  There are schools such as DeMatha who have carefully cultivated and promoted an image of producing talent.  But that's largely a myth. 

With the possible exception of Merrill Gainer's Beaver squads in the 1960s, no local program in the area seems to be able to make the claim that it can give players a "leg up" in terms of attracting collegiate attention.  Any recruiting which does take place would seem geared toward the immediate goal of improving an individual program's ability to win games and championships.  Just my two cents....

Tell the players that

We got a gift in signing Raquon Jordan from Abingdon; shocking considering we went 2-8 this past year. Looks like our baseball coaches gave recruiting lessons to Coach Crist and his staff

So, about that sarcasm font..

You guys have fun with that "gift."

Tell the players that

Point made.  (Although you could have included the parents as well.)

This phenomenon also isn't limited to athletics.

The county in which I currently reside has a very liberal attendance policy.  Essentially, if you are wiling to transport them, your child can attend any of the three public high schools of your choosing.  Like most localities, there appears to be a generally accepted consensus that one of the three is "the best" (and it is not the one to which my community is automatically assigned).  So there is a predictable pattern of college-bound kids being transferred out of their community schools and into "the best" high school.  (Mind you there is a pretty robust effort to begin with to enroll kids in the elementary and middle feeder schools for "the best" school.)  And guess what -- the kids who left their community schools for "the best" school are largely self-determinant in their academic futures.  The school from which they eventually graduate has very little effect upon their long-term academic outcomes.  The direct example I have is two separate families (who are friends of ours) who moved their kids from our community into "the best" school.  The result is that of the four children involved, two enrolled at Virginia Tech, one attends Richmond, and the other graduated from N.C. State.  This outcome would have likely been precisely duplicated had they remained within the community school zone, but the families would have effectively saved a lot of gas money.  As further proof of my point, two honors graduates from our community school are currently attending Duke and Penn, respectively.

So to get back to athletics, kids and parents need to understand that being of the same physical constitution of a Mike Compton or a Devon Johnson is the key element in attracting attention from a Division I program.  And beyond that step, actual playing time at that level is dependent on a combination of luck, ability, and personal work ethic.

I can understand how this messages is garbled in other sports which are dominated by AAU and "travel ball" because there is money to be made in deluding the customer base.  How it occurs in football is well beyond my comprehension.  Where the heck are the guidance counselors in this discussion?

Point made.  (Although you could have included the parents as well.)

This phenomenon also isn't limited to athletics.

The county in which I currently reside has a very liberal attendance policy.  Essentially, if you are wiling to transport them, your child can attend any of the three public high schools of your choosing.  Like most localities, there appears to be a generally accepted consensus that one of the three is "the best" (and it is not the one to which my community is automatically assigned).  So there is a predictable pattern of college-bound kids being transferred out of their community schools and into "the best" high school.  (Mind you there is a pretty robust effort to begin with to enroll kids in the elementary and middle feeder schools for "the best" school.)  And guess what -- the kids who left their community schools for "the best" school are largely self-determinant in their academic futures.  The school from which they eventually graduate has very little effect upon their long-term academic outcomes.  The direct example I have is two separate families (who are friends of ours) who moved their kids from our community into "the best" school.  The result is that of the four children involved, two enrolled at Virginia Tech, one attends Richmond, and the other graduated from N.C. State.  This outcome would have likely been precisely duplicated had they remained within the community school zone, but the families would have effectively saved a lot of gas money.  As further proof of my point, two honors graduates from our community school are currently attending Duke and Penn, respectively.

So to get back to athletics, kids and parents need to understand that being of the same physical constitution of a Mike Compton or a Devon Johnson is the key element in attracting attention from a Division I program.  And beyond that step, actual playing time at that level is dependent on a combination of luck, ability, and personal work ethic.

I can understand how this messages is garbled in other sports which are dominated by AAU and "travel ball" because there is money to be made in deluding the customer base.  How it occurs in football is well beyond my comprehension.  Where the heck are the guidance counselors in this discussion?

Touche and excellent point made.  In this particular case I do believe it is equal on both parts.

Also very good point on the academic standpoint as well.  I remember in my class one person rode in with his father to go to Tazewell instead of going to Pocahontas.  He played some sports but I know it was more about the academic in general.  Also how many players cross over from WV to go to Graham for that exact reason.

I don't know about now but guidance counselors when I was in school didn't serve the most useful purpose in the world.  Actually went a long time that I never understood their point.  I thought they were there to get you to sign up for classes that you didn't want just to fill out some of the classes.

Ultimately, I'm not convinced that transferring to "Generic Successful School" really improves any athlete's marketability as an individual prospect. 

It does when coaches and administrators are not helpful in the recruiting process at the former school...

Also very good point on the academic standpoint as well.  I remember in my class one person rode in with his father to go to Tazewell instead of going to Pocahontas.  He played some sports but I know it was more about the academic in general.  Also how many players cross over from WV to go to Graham for that exact reason.

Not very many lately.  Its been the other way around, kids leaving Graham to go to other schools, Bluefield and Richlands for the most part, Tazewell for baseball a few years ago.  Pretty sure that, since the passing of Coach Carlock, Graham has lost significantly more to other schools than we've gained for athletic reasons.

Not very many lately.  Its been the other way around, kids leaving Graham to go to other schools, Bluefield and Richlands for the most part, Tazewell for baseball a few years ago.  Pretty sure that, since the passing of Coach Carlock, Graham has lost significantly more to other schools than we've gained for athletic reasons.

Maybe not now but back in my day all 16 years ago people crossed the state line because academically Graham was much better than Bluefield.

Maybe not now but back in my day all 16 years ago people crossed the state line because academically Graham was much better than Bluefield.

Per Tazewell SB policy, students from WV are not allowed.in  Tazewell Co. schools.  Of course some administrators are known to look the other way.

Per Tazewell SB policy, students from WV are not allowed.in  Tazewell Co. schools.  Of course some administrators are known to look the other way.

State law says speed limit is 55 on 460 but how many people still fly be me on my way to bluefield in the mornings and back home in the evening...

State law says speed limit is 55 on 460 but how many people still fly be me on my way to bluefield in the mornings and back home in the evening...

I do...going in the opposite direction...

Well heres a doozy, rumor out of Dickenson County is Clintwood and Haysi are gonna play as one team this fall. The feeling seems to be that they will be VERY competitive and may suprise a few "big" schools that look down on little former D1 schools.

Just what im hearing

Redtiger,

If one is from SW VA and knowing of the coach you have, just have to think they will be expecting nothing but the best from your team. When you consider the

the coachs at Union, Gate City, Riverview, Richlands, Lee is coming on,  Abingdon if they stay and others to be,  I'm looking forward to some epic battles on our end of the State.

When I read these post I try to put myself in the shoes of the poster to understand.

The fan: Waits patiently year in and year out for his team to put that one solid team together that will bring back that pride to his school. Hurts when your own walks away.

The player: If he has talent he dreams of being the playmaker that makes the difference that is what makes him what he is.  Some believe to succeed they must move on to where they can find success. While I'm not sure how many believe they will be a D1 recruit, I sure many are looking for a special moment in time they may not find other wise.

Honor and loyalty are strong traits, the will to succeed is a must and a valuable life lesson, one forgotten by many and not known by to many. 

As our freedoms dwindle I shake my head at more regulations and have to wonder where are we going,  As has been said many times in these posts what school they want to be at will change.  All good things come to a end, but something else begins somewhere else. 

But at this moment at this place time I can understand the parent and the player. At the same time I feel the pain of the fan.

IMO, Workman at QB this season would make much more sense at QB.  Workman has a better arm and is taller and can see the defense better.  Meade would be of more benefit with the ball in his hands, either as a halfback or receiver, Graham has tons of speed coming out of the backfield this year and I've heard that they plan to get the ball to their athletes in space more this year.  Workman and Booker are going to a QB and receiver camp soon.  Workman is a bonafide leader on the field, also.  Not saying that Meade is not, but it may be better for the team THIS season if he took on a different role and took over as the starter next season.  But we all know that nobody seems to want to do what's best for the TEAM.....apparently team does have an "I" in it in today's world.  Again, not directing that to anybody in particular.  I haven't heard that he is leaving, hope that he stays.  Graham has a ton of talent returning and may be hard to deal with without having to cherry pick players from other teams.

As usual, Graham's big concern will be DEFENSE!!!!.  They will have plenty of weapons on offense this year, with or without Meade, but they have needed to shore up that defense for far too long.

As usual, Graham's big concern will be DEFENSE!!!!.  They will have plenty of weapons on offense this year, with or without Meade, but they have needed to shore up that defense for far too long.

Wow, me being  a guy who grew up watching Graham Football in the Carlock era.......this is a strange quote.  LOL

Wow, me being  a guy who grew up watching Graham Football in the Carlock era.......this is a strange quote.  LOL

Not sure why that's strange...have you seen the scores they've surrendered since Carlock???