1991 Graham vs Bluefield ESPN game Scholastic Sports America

futbolking

Scholastic Sports America, which was a show on ESPN that covered high school sports, came to town and did a story on the Graham-Bluefield rivalry.  Dan Debenham and Adrian Karsten were the ones who "hosted" the show at that time.

They spent all week in town doing interviews, taking video, and playing golf.  Those two and one of the cameramen played golf everyday that week at Fincastle.  I got to know them well that week.  If you ever get to see the whole episode, they have a shot at the beginning of it that shows Bluefield High School sitting up on the mountain, then it pans down to Graham High School in Double Gates.  I gave them the idea and the location for that shot...behind the 17th tee at FCC.

Ironically, this is the episode they shot the week before in Louisville, KY on Trinity High School

They gave me a Trinity sweatshirt they got that week for helping them out in Bluefield.

They were doing rivalry series on a show called "Scholastic Sports America, which featured high school teams. The Graham-Beaver game has consistently been ranked in the top 10 rivalry games in the country by various sport magazines, including ESPN the magazine.

The intrigue of 10000 to 14000 fans any given year, border battle... WV vs. VA..… North vs. South... Bluefield vs Bluefield..… Houses divided.… Etc... You name it, this game has got it. Its more of a college atmosphere now with reunions, tailgating, music, tents from local businesses set up...etc... It was on the heels of Graham being featured on the same program 2 years earlier for posting a mind boggling 8 consecutive shut outs.