VHSL CAVES IN !!!

VHSLhelper

Private schools will now compete with publics !!!!

Liberty Christian will be in 4A West, Conf. 23 this Fall!!!!

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/lynchburg-bedford/liberty-christian-academy-to-join-vhsl-after-lawsuit-settlement-reached/33127310

We joke around here about Richlands and Virginia High recruiting, but this is pretty much just sanctioning it.

Life in the Seminole District just got a lot more interesting.  I wonder what impact, if any, this "settlement" will have on the recruiting activity in the Lynchburg area.  (And admittedly that cuts both ways.  LCA and the public schools have been pretty liberal in cherry picking athletes from one another who have had "issues" -- either behaviorally or academically.)

I am not sure. Sullins Academy in Bristol could become something special. All the kids from Abingdon plus the best from John Battle andVHS. I have heard the QB from Abingdon had the chance to play for Colligate in Richmond but passed due to distance. Sullins would work, and they already have money.

So, how will the VHSL deal with 5th year seniors/8th grade participation?  Will LCA be allowed to utilize Liberty University facilities as they have in the past, which is a huge advantage over other VHSL member schools?  

Recruiting has already been mentioned so I wont rehash that issue.

The flood gates have been opened!

I support private schools, home-schooling and the like, however this is an example of how much financial leverage LCA had and the VHSL was basically forced to acquiesce.

The threat of losing a major lawsuit of this capacity accompanied with the financial deep pockets of LCA gave the VHSL no choice. Do I agree with the decision, NO! Do I understand why the VHSL did this, YES!

The only pro-that I can see is the fact of the multiplier that was added that basically renders most of the private schools to 4A or up status. Unfortunately, I think that the multiplier will eventually be phased out, due to another lawsuit and when that happens, the smaller schools in the state can forget about State Titles.

Interestingly enough, the home-school lobby will not be as effective with their attempts as was LCA. Until the home school lobby is as organized and as well financed as LCA they are still facing an uphill battle. IMO

This decision, will adversely impact the already out of control issue of transferring as more and more "aggressive" athletic programs will be forced to do so in order to compete with the privates.

I hate to hear this for you guys. Private schools have almost killed the athletic spirit of most 1A public schools in West Virginia. Sure, you have certain schools that can compete in certain sports and have built up good programs that can compete, but for the most part, public schools don't match up well with the private schools in the state. Outside of Williamstown and those few years from Wahama, public schools have been owned by private schools in the football playoffs for the past decade. And even Williamstown has lost more than they've won against the better private schools.

In boys basketball, public schools have won two of the last three state titles with Tug Valley winning it in 2013 and Magnolia winning in 2015. The thing is that both of those schools were 2A in 2012, so they also have a large enrollment compared to most 1A schools. Before Tug Valley's title, the last public school champion was crowned in 2001.

In girls basketball, it's even a worse situation. Huntington St. Joe has won the last 7 state titles, and they've even won some state championship games by 40 points. Outside of Williamstown winning a title in 2003, there hasn't been another public school champion since Burch won a title in 1990.

Private schools have almost killed the athletic spirit of most 1A public schools in West Virginia. Sure, you have certain schools that can compete in certain sports and have built up good programs that can compete, but for the most part, public schools don't match up well with the private schools in the state. ...  public schools have been owned by private schools in the football playoffs for the past decade.

Look into a possible future for VA sports

• 1 month later...