Youth Football

HM3-8404

With youth football just around the corner. What are the best offenses and defenses for the 10 to 13 year old range? I've heard keep it simple just a couple of formations on D and about 6-12 plays on O. Does anyone have an opinion on this? 

Thanks

What is your high school running? If it's wing-t for example, then run about 5-6 plays of wing-t and maybe 2 formations. Richlands, Giles, Belfry, Ky and Haysi are a few teams that come to mind that have youth teams running a version of their varsity offense. There may be more but I haven't seen every youth team. The defense can be harder to do depending on the rules for each league but I still think you can pull off a version of the varsity defense. First thing, don't worry about wins and losses. Nobody remembers youth league titles!!! You are teaching fundamentals at this level. Have fun and play everyone. When they get to high school is when the kid should take it serious because they are playing for playoffs and titles.

In my opinion, don't worry about what the high school is running.  Find what works best for your kids and start simple.  I coached that age group for years and it seemed like I ran something different every year.  Let the kids ability to listen, learn and absorb knowledge dictate what you run and how much you run.   Some years I introduced so much that I had trouble keeping everything straight, but, the kids knew it.  Other years it was a simple 2-3 formations and 6-7 plays.  You have to find ways to make it fun, it has to be about extracting effort from the kids and not winning.  However, it is always good to remind them that you don't practice 3-4 days a week to get your lunch handed to you.  Kids need to learn to equate winning with hard work.  Once they figure that out, it gets north pretty quick.  Like Vols said, it should be about fundamentals and effort.  However, when you develop good strong relationships with your kids, they have fun and learn to love football....some of 'em do remember youth league titles.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've coached men in the Navy and Marine Corps and also smaller kids. This age group seems to be in the transition age group. One thing I have learned is to take good advice. Also I think the difference between lets say Giles and Richlands offenses are night and day, both programs are outstanding but I would think passing would be harder for this age group. I think sports in general and football especially teach kids invaluable life skills that will help them through life, alot like military service. Thanks again.

I am in the camp of teaching a beginners version of the Offence that High School program runs and hammer in your bread and butter plays.only after getting those basics under there belt do you want to branch out your playbook (some groups of kids can handle a lot more than others). IMHO Teaching the line how to block instead of just hitting someone is the single best thing that you can do for your team followed closely by teaching your Running backs to run between the tackles.

On Defense your league can hamstring running your High Schools Defense so teach fundamentals (Tackling, Pursuit angles, ect.) When putting together your Defense remember Most youth coaches favorite play is get the ball to the fast kid and let him run around the end so put 2 of your better/faster defenders at DE or Outside LB (whichever your Defense assign contain responsibility to)

Imo the kids need to be using elements of what the Varsity is doing.

If the Varsity is a Spread style team you may not be able to go 4 wide every play but you can some. You can also move a TE or a Blocking Back in to run the ball while still being Gun multiple WRs.

if the Varsity is a Double Tights Power-I but you have a few WRs and a QB then base out of the Pro-I and mix in some Power-I. The lower levels, imo, must have shades of what the Varsity is doing.

Defensively, imo Counts is right on the $.  Defense is, above all, recognition, pursuit anges and tackling. Teach those things and you will be fine

Haysi's lower levels based out of a 2 back set(either I or Split Backs), under center and shotgun. If the kids can handle it theres nothing wrong with adding a new formation or play each week. Dont limit them because you think they cant handle it, explore their limits