Here is a classic Graham vs. Gate City game from 1997, before the turf.

futbolking

Back when Graham actually played defense.  That was one heck of a team in Gate City that year.  Is that the year that GC won the state against Brookville?

We won state against Braodway instead of Brookville, which put us out by one point in the semis the year before. I don't have the whole game uploaded to youtube, but I do have this TD run by Jake Houseright.

To me, I would guess that Broadway bunch was the weakest team GC faced in the playoffs and probably one of the weakest all year.   

Definitely the weakest team overall but they deserved to be there. Broadway pulled off a huge upset in Game 13 vs Fort Defiance by one or two points I believe. Broadway also brought one of the biggest visiting crowds to Gate City that we've ever seen. https://youtube.com/wUbUpfFWFHU?t=43m7s

Didn't Broadway also beat Matoaca that year? I was thinking they were ranked #1 and since Broadway beat them, we got to host the championship game. Then again, these games and years start crossing each other the older I get. The week before, GC beat Jefferson Forest on the prettiest ugly field goal that I've seen. I hate I missed it live because I had my head down..lol. Powell Valley and Appalachia also won state that year.

Didn't Broadway also beat Matoaca that year? I was thinking they were ranked #1 and since Broadway beat them, we got to host the championship game. Then again, these games and years start crossing each other the older I get. The week before, GC beat Jefferson Forest on the prettiest ugly field goal that I've seen. I hate I missed it live because I had my head down..lol. Powell Valley and Appalachia also won state that year.

Yes they did. Broadway got super hot that postseason. Just looked it up and they Matoaca by 9, Waynesboro by 5, and Fort Defiance by 1 before the state game. And that field goal is one of the biggest plays in GC history. http://gfycat.com/CompetentSmallBison

• 1 month later...

I have watched some tribute videos to the state championship teams of 1997 and 2003. I watched a little bit of the 1996 video. Not a GC fan at all but I must say, those videos are put together quite nicely. Nice effect with the Batman theme on the 1997 tribute video.

I have watched some tribute videos to the state championship teams of 1997 and 2003. I watched a little bit of the 1996 video. Not a GC fan at all but I must say, those videos are put together quite nicely. Nice effect with the Batman theme on the 1997 tribute video.

Completely agree. The old GCTV (Channel 30) crew really had it together. A lot of those people left around 2000 and then it all kind of fell apart around 2010. It's thanks to them that collecting some of this old footage is even possible. 

I have a couple of their RC/TS broadcasts and uploaded to YouTube also.  Wish I could find the 95 game if STC worked it.  Its always good for RC and TS to be able to play on GCs open week so that their game is broadcast and drawing the extra fans in the county to watch family members.

At 2:09:26 the PA announcer announces that a car needs to be moved and the plate is a TN plate hahaha

Im pretty sure it isint a Broadway fan lol

Yup was probably one of the parents of our 40 recruits that year haha. But in all seriousness for those farther up in SWVA that don't get down here much, Kingsport is like a 5 minute drive so there some GC students (not just athletes) that come over, usually because there parents went to GC. I'd say maybe around one out of every twenty or so kids. It's not nearly as huge of a deal as some people make it out to be. 

I graduated from GC in 1990 and moved to Kingsport the following year. I still attend GC games on a regular basis (even with Tennessee tags). A lot of folks move across the state line to be closer to their jobs. Also, if GC is playing a playoff game or it's a Dobyns-Bennett open week, a lot of their folks go to GC to watch them and vice versa. I've always thought it was funny that folks automatically assume since there are TN vehicles in the parking lot, that must mean they're all athletes. That's just not the case.

Yup was probably one of the parents of our 40 recruits that year haha. But in all seriousness for those farther up in SWVA that don't get down here much, Kingsport is like a 5 minute drive so there some GC students (not just athletes) that come over, usually because there parents went to GC. I'd say maybe around one out of every twenty or so kids. It's not nearly as huge of a deal as some people make it out to be. 

I couldn't care less how many TN kids go to Gate City. More power to them. I personally wish that every athlete from Rye Cove, Norton, and Lee High went to Union. That would be awesome.

Don't know how many play sports and how many just want a better education (Far SWVA has better schools than the counties of NET), but the 1 in 20 is closer to 1 in 7 TN students at GC High and the feeder schools.

I just don't get why GC folks get so upset when someone mentions TN kids. Who cares? Don't defend it or downplay it, embrace it. If Union got star athletes or intellectuals from other districts I would PERFECTLY fine with it. Probably brag about. And quite frankly, if I had kids in county schools in some NET areas, I'd send them to GC. Talking with some teachers from some of the Sullivan and Hawkins Co schools, it is pretty sad.