3 games you are looking forward to watching this year

HM3-8404

Just to add on to this and my earlier post, theres some bitter feelings toward PV from Haysi so it really is a ready made rivalry. Idk if Union will see it that way but I know Ridgeview will

Ridgeview will definitely be a rivalry for Union, but it will more likely come from the Clintwood games rather than Haysi. That is just due to the last 4 years of Union vs Clintwood and all the years that both PV and Appy battled Clintwood as members of the LPD.

Either way it will be good!

On a side note, if the coming together and support for Ridgeview is anything like it was for Union when consolidation happened, you will be in for a treat. The atmosphere and support at games reminds of what it was for both PV and Appy in the 80's and 90's.

1. Union at J.I Burton -    I'm anxious to see the debut of Burton running back Isaac Perrigan. A lot of hype around him.                                                        

2. Richlands at Union-  What more can be said? The past 4 years between these two have been thrillers.

3. Union @ Lee-   I'm tired of hearing about referees and these games at 5 star stadium are always electric, no matter how good of a team the Generals have.                                     

3. Union @ Lee-   I'm tired of hearing about referees and these games at 5 star stadium are always electric, no matter how good of a team the Generals have.                                     

That game was unfortunate for both. Lee had our Bears, thought they had it won and then that call. Union battled. Unfortunately, they got the win from a bad call. Union benefited from a bad call. Every team has benefited from a bad call sometime or another. Richlands, Gate City, the former Powell Valley, the former Appalachia, Lee, Burton, etc. Unfortunately it has happened, still happens, and will continue to happen. Officials--as foolish as they are sometimes--are human. Nobody can change it. The powers that be can just take steps to keep it from happening again.            

Some of the Lee faithful from work say Lee won't be near what they were last season. I would like to see them do well. It will just make the Brawl for the Bucket that much more exciting. Before consolidation, during the Boot Bowl between Lee and PV, there were some good match ups. There were some Battles of the Boot where the games were just downright awful (1997, 2003, 2004, 2005 for example). Beating your rivals is that much more exciting when they are good. 

I would like to see a Union/Giles series. There was a little bit of bad blood between Giles and Powell Valley. 

That game was unfortunate for both. Lee had our Bears, thought they had it won and then that call. Union battled. Unfortunately, they got the win from a bad call. Union benefited from a bad call. Every team has benefited from a bad call sometime or another. Richlands, Gate City, the former Powell Valley, the former Appalachia, Lee, Burton, etc. Unfortunately it has happened, still happens, and will continue to happen. Officials--as foolish as they are sometimes--are human. Nobody can change it. The powers that be can just take steps to keep it from happening again.

Some of the Lee faithful from work say Lee won't be near what they were last season. I would like to see them do well. It will just make the Brawl for the Bucket that much more exciting. Before consolidation, during the Boot Bowl between Lee and PV, there were some good match ups. There were some Battles of the Boot where the games were just downright awful (1997, 2003, 2004, 2005 for example). Beating your rivals is that much more exciting when they are good.

I would like to see a Union/Giles series. There was a little bit of bad blood between Giles and Powell Valley.

I agree completely, I hope Lee does well. The fan support down there certainly deserves it.

As for Union/Giles, I think that would be electric. When we went up there it would be tough, but when they come to The park it may rival the Richlands games, IMO.

1. Union at J.I Burton -    I'm anxious to see the debut of Burton running back Isaac Perrigan. A lot of hype around him.                                                                               

I just hope we don't overlook Burton this year. I think they will be much improved from last year. They return most of their key players along with all those 300 lb lineman. And Perrigan is a complete unknown. He could be a huge difference maker for them this year.

I just hope we don't overlook Burton this year. I think they will be much improved from last year. They return most of their key players along with all those 300 lb lineman. And Perrigan is a complete unknown. He could be a huge difference maker for them this year.

JIB doesnt have any 300 lb linemen. They have a few that might be 270ish and from personally seeing them at least 1 is debateable, looks to me to be in the 250lb range.

Very good players and together they have the potential to be dominant on both sides of the ball but the rumors of their measureables are getting out of hand. Ive talked to people who say they are 6'4" and 300lbs.

JIB doesnt have any 300 lb linemen. They have a few that might be 270ish and from personally seeing them at least 1 is debateable, looks to me to be in the 250lb range.

Very good players and together they have the potential to be dominant on both sides of the ball but the rumors of their measureables are getting out of hand. Ive talked to people who say they are 6'4" and 300lbs.

From last years Coalfield Progress.....

Matthew Jones (6-2, 300, so.) and tackles Savon Wadsworth (6-1, 310, so.) and Blakelee Cavins (6-0, 205, sr.). The guard positions will be occupied by Aaron Sargent (5- 10, 240, sr.) and either Daniel Cooke (5-10, 195, sr.) or Shane Absher (6-1, 215, sr.). Adams said Peyton Stallard (6-3, 270, so.) and Chase Adams (6-0, 300, so.) will add depth to the offensive line.

There's 3. I realize that they sometimes embellish those numbers for the paper, but I stood next to the Wadsworth kid at last years Jamboree and he dwarfed me. I'm 6' and 240.

They didnt look that big to me but im considerably bigger than you. I did forget about Jones(I was thinking he was a SR last year), hes probably close to 300 and I was just thinking about their starters from last season (I completly forgot about Adams).

Ive got $50 right now that says Stallard in 6' 250lbs. Ive seen him up close in shorts and a tank top

Regardless they are all well built young men who have put in a ton of work, they just arent MASSIVE but for a D1 team they are really big up front.

Gate City leads the series with Richlands 23-22-1. I'd say that's a pretty dang good rivalry.

It doesn't get much better than that !

Much respect between both sides and I hope the series will continue for a long while.  That first game with you guys always lets us know where we stand as the season starts !  I would much rather see a tough game like that to start the season.  It lets you know what your strengths and weaknesses are.  In my opinion,  that's better than  if you start off with a game that you may win easily.  You may get a win,  but you may not learn as much about your team.

But of course all coaches have their own theories about how to schedule.   That's mine,  and that is probably why I sit on a couch or in the stadium and watch now instead of coach....lol

Only reason there was any bad blood between Giles and Powell Valley was because of the Powell Valley arrogant prick coach....up 29-6 with about 2 minutes left and the prick fakes a punt so his son can throw another TD to pad wonder boy's stats.....and trust me i told the prick after the game what a total prick he really is.

You guys beat us with Thomas(great players all over that PV team)

We beat you Julius soph year

You guys spanked us Julius senior year(we weren't good enough to be in state semis but region was VERY week that year)

Then the prick Robbins show occured....game was WELL over and we were overmatched but what he did was uncalled for but everyone knows what kind of person he is so i don't have to keep going

Only reason there was any bad blood between Giles and Powell Valley was because of the Powell Valley arrogant prick coach....up 29-6 with about 2 minutes left and the prick fakes a punt so his son can throw another TD to pad wonder boy's stats.....and trust me i told the prick after the game what a total prick he really is.

You guys beat us with Thomas(great players all over that PV team)

We beat you Julius soph year

You guys spanked us Julius senior year(we weren't good enough to be in state semis but region was VERY week that year)

Then the prick Robbins show occured....game was WELL over and we were overmatched but what he did was uncalled for but everyone knows what kind of person he is so i don't have to keep going

You don't like Robbins?? I just can't believe that! ;)

MOST folks down here know that Barry Jones was the real engineer behind the Powell Valley express of the 80's and 90's. You saw what happened to the program when he left. I'm just glad that Union started fresh with a new head coach.

The only team I can really remember running up the score like that on Richlands was Graham. Carlock was a GREAT coach but I can honestly never remember seeing him put in the second string unless someone was shaken up. If Caleb Jennings played as many plays as Bradshaw he would have had to had 4 oil changes 1 after every 3,000 yards. lol.

We're going to miss Barry at GC this year, but I'm tickled to death for him that he has a head coaching job now. I told some of the folks from Volunteer that if they can't win now, they never will. As good as a coach as he is, he's an even better person.

The only team I can really remember running up the score like that on Richlands was Graham. Carlock was a GREAT coach but I can honestly never remember seeing him put in the second string unless someone was shaken up. If Caleb Jennings played as many plays as Bradshaw he would have had to had 4 oil changes 1 after every 3,000 yards. lol.

Yeah, 22-0. We really ran it up...

Amazing that with the truckload of success Richlands has had since 2004, and beating Graham 11 of 12, that this pine cone is still lodged in the rear of so many.

We're going to miss Barry at GC this year, but I'm tickled to death for him that he has a head coaching job now. I told some of the folks from Volunteer that if they can't win now, they never will. As good as a coach as he is, he's an even better person.

My better half is a graduate from Volunteer. I remember hearing the news that he was going to be the head coach. I then told her that her alma mater's football team has been put in good hands with Coach Jones. 

Beat Northwood, you say?

dc2fd6da2c741a3b2f6ae5fcf700e06fafe43267

Thats pretty good.  Northwood has several skill players returning but lost their line.  I am feared that they wont change the offense or at least put in a few new plays it will be a long season in Saltvegas.

The only team I can really remember running up the score like that on Richlands was Graham. Carlock was a GREAT coach but I can honestly never remember seeing him put in the second string unless someone was shaken up.

Quite obvious that you never watched very much Graham football and this shows your lack of knowledge in regards to Coach Carlock. I guarantee he played 2nd teamers more than just about any other coach in this area during his days at Graham. I'm pretty sure you are confusing him with Fred Simon, Bluefield's head coach, who has to put 50+ on a team before he starts bringing in the backups.

Coach Mance is another that will pull his starters when a game gets out of hand and plays his backups a lot during the season,  which is one reason for our continued success in my opinion.  You just can't beat real game experience for the younger players !

I remember a couple of seasons where I was worried what would happen when and if we got in a tight game late because most of the starters had only played 1 half of football or maybe a series or 2 to start the 2nd half. 

First off UVA I can remember that because the fans got so upset, but I honestly thought the score was worse than that 22-0 don't sound that bad after all these years.

Second G-MAN you correct the only Graham games I've watched are the games against Richlands and most likely the games were close enough to leave the starters in. 

Third I have great respect for Carlock as a coach, and I never met a person who played for him that didn't love him which says it all. I didn't like him only because we had to play against him and he was hard to beat, I'm sure you Graham fans feel the same about Mance. No offense to you guys was intended.

Love mance to death but I saw him fake a punt one night against tazewell right before halftime and score was something like 42-0 at the time....and i've heard all the "the special teams coach made that call" stuff but bottom line is the head coach is in charge so it's all on him.

And i'm sure this was a one time thing but i couldn't believe he did it