VAPreps had decided to segregate its boards based on "area code"...

GMan

Again, if you have a viable plan for how VirginiaPreps.com can do a better job of covering the SWVA area, please let me know. I will implement the changes, if possible.

Actually give a damn, that's a start. 

Rod,  

It isn't personal.  You are the only person from outside the area to actually come on here and interact.  That lends itself to you bearing the brunt of southwest Virginia frustrations.  Your website is a tiny part of a much larger, systematic issue.  The majority of Virginians who reside north and/or east of Blacksburg believe the state to end at that point.  

As an example, Tidewater administrators have recently complained of increased travel due to "conference" alignments.  That is a way of life and a necessity for schools on this side of the state.  Tidewater schools have less travel, on average, for conference playoff games than the majority of traditional district rivalries in southwest Virginia.

Carroll County plays in an 8 school district where 4 schools are more than 80 miles away, 2 others are 60 miles away and the last is 45 miles.  This is one example out of a hundred.  Virtually every southwest Virginia school has these travel times routinely.  Many schools in this region of Virginia have had these travel issues for decades but as soon as Tidewater schools get 20 mile distances, they bitch about it publicly and demand change.  Sometimes it's nice to see how the other half lives.  It's called perspective! 

Statewide politics are no different.  Rarely does Richmond take into account what is happening or how adversely its decisions will affect southwest Virginia. 

Politics are not your forum so we will leave it at that but this should give you a small insight into the NOVA/Tidewater/Richmond bias!

Rod,  

It isn't personal.  You are the only person from outside the area to actually come on here and interact.  That lends itself to you bearing the brunt of southwest Virginia frustrations.  Your website is a tiny part of a much larger, systematic issue.  The majority of Virginians who reside north and/or east of Blacksburg believe the state to end at that point.  

As an example, Tidewater administrators have recently complained of increased travel due to "conference" alignments.  That is a way of life and a necessity for schools on this side of the state.  Tidewater schools have less travel, on average, for conference playoff games than the majority of traditional district rivalries in southwest Virginia.

Carroll County plays in an 8 school district where 4 schools are more than 80 miles away, 2 others are 60 miles away and the last is 45 miles.  This is one example out of a hundred.  Virtually every southwest Virginia school has these travel times routinely.  Many schools in this region of Virginia have had these travel issues for decades but as soon as Tidewater schools get 20 mile distances, they bitch about it publicly and demand change.  Sometimes it's nice to see how the other half lives.  It's called perspective! 

Statewide politics are no different.  Rarely does Richmond take into account what is happening or how adversely its decisions will affect southwest Virginia. 

Politics are not your forum so we will leave it at that but this should give you a small insight into the NOVA/Tidewater/Richmond bias!

55753554.jpg

Rod,  

I don't and haven't taken any of the attacks personally. 

From time to time, I appear on a High School Sports talk show on Saturday mornings on ESPN radio in Tidewater and, on that show, routinely chastise Tidewater administrators for their complaints and have said several times that "maybe they should call the AD's living out West" about how to handle budgets and traveling. I am roundly criticized on this side of the state for my stance on this issue and have publicly debated it several times in print, on radio and face-to-face with admins.

When one Tidewater AD complained in the newspaper that his "small town" buses could not make it past Richmond, I suggested on the radio that he should call people out West to inquire about where they buy their Super Buses that drive over mountains.

I'll leave the politics alone, as you said, not my area of concern.

We've not been good about covering that part of the state. We are trying to change that. Criticizing/Yelling at me is fine but it is not a part of a solution which, I assume, is the higher goal here. 

It is for me.

I don't and haven't taken any of the attacks personally. 

From time to time, I appear on a High School Sports talk show on Saturday mornings on ESPN radio in Tidewater and, on that show, routinely chastise Tidewater administrators for their complaints and have said several times that "maybe they should call the AD's living out West" about how to handle budgets and traveling. I am roundly criticized on this side of the state for my stance on this issue and have publicly debated it several times in print, on radio and face-to-face with admins.

When one Tidewater AD complained in the newspaper that his "small town" buses could not make it past Richmond, I suggested on the radio that he should call people out West to inquire about where they buy their Super Buses that drive over mountains.

I'll leave the politics alone, as you said, not my area of concern.

We've not been good about covering that part of the state. We are trying to change that. Criticizing/Yelling at me is fine but it is not a part of a solution which, I assume, is the higher goal here. 

It is for me.

This is very good to hear.  It appears certain to those on this side of the state that administrators in Tidewater don't exactly see the big picture.  I can certainly understand how that would be an unpopular opinion by those listening.  

I hope you will keep coming back here for insight and opinion.  As you can see, we are passionate and have an "all for one" mentality.  When our boys are eliminated from state contention, those who are still alive gain our support. 

Personally I like the change. I dont post over on vapreps but come playoff time im curious about the teams from the rest of the state. Until late october I really dont care whats happening over on the Coast, or up in nova, or in Central VA. So I kinda like having the SWVA region all grouped together. I get to click on 1 thing and get all my regional football news.

Sadly, when it comes to dining.....I'm in agreement with the rest of the state.

The majority of Virginians who reside north and/or east of Blacksburg believe the state to end at that point.  

This is very good to hear.  It appears certain to those on this side of the state that administrators in Tidewater don't exactly see the big picture.  I can certainly understand how that would be an unpopular opinion by those listening.  

I hope you will keep coming back here for insight and opinion.  As you can see, we are passionate and have an "all for one" mentality.  When our boys are eliminated from state contention, those who are still alive gain our support. 

While the Tidewater admins are certainly not in love with the travel associated with the new alignment, in truth, there is probably more consensus dissent coming from Richmond (or, at least, that has been what was indicated to me by several sources in the meetings).

I have consistently visited here about 3-4 times weekly for the last couple of months trying to learn more. So far, so good, I think.

I may make some Southwestern VA football shirts and go to Salem this year whether or not GC makes it (not likely) just to support this end of the state. Once my team is out of contentions I'm all about bringing the jewelry back to within yelling distance

Maybe a silhouette of the whole state with SWVA shaded in? In your schools colors with SWVA on the back. I could go for one of those!

Agreed on the gold

Sadly, when it comes to dining.....I'm in agreement with the rest of the state.

Plenty of quality establishments around southwest Virginia.  

Come to Galax and try Creek Bottom Brews.  Rivals anything you will find anywhere!

While the Tidewater admins are certainly not in love with the travel associated with the new alignment, in truth, there is probably more consensus dissent coming from Richmond (or, at least, that has been what was indicated to me by several sources in the meetings).

I have consistently visited here about 3-4 times weekly for the last couple of months trying to learn more. So far, so good, I think.

It isn't difficult to figure out by thread and post history, who will give you unbiased material from this site.  I feel safe in saying, feel free to ask any of us, anytime.  Most tend to be knowledgeable and unbiased when need be.  We like to give each other shit from time to time concerning rivalries but when it comes time to give honest assessments, we generally leave bias out of it.

As for the new alignment, travel associated with it and expense, this side of the state is far more accustomed to having to do more with less than northern Virginia, Tidewater or Richmond.  That goes for school budgeting all the way down to the equipment used in training and practice.

I hope our site helps you improve your coverage of our part of the state.  If found to be true over time, ou will see a rise in the level of material you will find here.

A rising tide lifts all boats!

Theres a very good Japanese restaurant in Norton, Yamatos(place is old, I dont eat in).

China Garden in Norton is also really good (wide selection and very good quality).

El Castillo in Wise is great. My favorite mexican.

Fat Boys BBQ in St Paul is supposed to be great but I havent tried it personally.

Theres a BBQ/Catfish place in Wise(it used to be a food truck but now they have a building), idk the name but the best catfish ive ever had, BBQ is ok

And for take out Pals cant be beat.

^wisdom

Theres a very good Japanese restaurant in Norton, Yamatos(place is old, I dont eat in).

China Garden in Norton is also really good (wide selection and very good quality).

El Castillo in Wise is great. My favorite mexican.

Fat Boys BBQ in St Paul is supposed to be great but I havent tried it personally.

Theres a BBQ/Catfish place in Wise(it used to be a food truck but now they have a building), idk the name but the best catfish ive ever had, BBQ is ok

And for take out Pals cant be beat.

^wisdom

Thanks

Maybe a silhouette of the whole state with SWVA shaded in? In your schools colors with SWVA on the back. I could go for one of those!

Agreed on the gold

exactly what I had on my mind. A picture of the state of Virginia on the front and the southwestern portion shaded in and a saying something similar to "Gridiron Tradition" then on the back have a big collage of all the mascots of the southwestern VA teams and the team that you represent have it in color. Maybe another short saying on the back like "Bringing Smashmouth football to the rest of VA since (year of first state title game)"

exactly what I had on my mind. A picture of the state of Virginia on the front and the southwestern portion shaded in and a saying something similar to "Gridiron Tradition" then on the back have a big collage of all the mascots of the southwestern VA teams and the team that you represent have it in color. Maybe another short saying on the back like "Bringing Smashmouth football to the rest of VA since (year of first state title game)"

Brings up the age old question, where does SWVA begin and end?  

That would be 1970 with Chilhowie (have a bad taste in my mouth now) and Gate City bringing home the titles.

Might have to shade a generous area around Roanoke and go slightly east of there (and by that I mean maybe 1/8 of an inch on the shirt scale) then go southwest following the Floyd and Carroll County line til you hit the NC border. Maybe a hairs worth north of Roanoke just so you can see the word "Roanoke" on the shirt then go northwest til you hit the WV border so I guess it would end around Craig County. That would leave the rest of Southwest VA....thats how I see it in my mind which is clearly just my opinion.

I don't have a clue about  the VA area codes and I'm a Richlands Blues fan.

I live in metro ATL and there are "bookoodles" in GA but I couldn't tell you what region they all represent.  I follow GA HS football under another message board and they have it broken out 1A through 6A. 

I certainly know the schools in the SWVA region...all 1A and 2A except Abingdon. I figured out Giles and others in the vincinity were in the Valley... but I don't know what region the  1A and 2A East schools are in...and I really don't want to be looking at each region with a "casserole of  other teams" mixed into my search.
I happen to follow Jeff Forest because Coach Christmas used to coach locally here in the ATL area for several years...however, I was searching around to see what region JF was  in ( I knew they were 4A)... looked under Valley...nope not there ...hey, I'll try the Piedmont area and there they were.  

I, personally, liked what you previously had with the 1A and 2A separate boards and with the feature of finding the most recent posts.   I think that's the best format you've had.