2015 Bluefield VS. Graham Game

BHS03

Vineyard, Workman and Cousin all play their heart out and are leaders by example. The best part of last night was that Graham never Gave up and played hard until the final buzzer. Even better was the return to the old Graham traditions of coming off of the bus in full gear . . Helmets on. . . Running onto the field through the marching band to the fight song. . . And the yellow facemasks. im sure that coach Carlock was looking down and smiling. Graham has i lot of young talent on that team. They may go 8 And 2. They may go 6 And 4. I would not want to play them at the end of the season. Also. . It was refreshing to see good defense from the G men. Its been a long time coming. Cant wait to see how this group progresses this season. . .

Workman is a leader on the field and is the right man at qb. I could see them rotating in Meade possibly and rolling him out with the option to run. I do not think that would have been as effective against Bluefields speed on the corners. i believe you will see Meade in some situations at qb at some point.

No but the Meade kid is a great all round Qb, use him ! Graham went in a spread offense for a reason. Putting the ball in the air could have changed the game.

Either you have no clue about football or you are a relative of Mr. Meade....or both....

Two questions about the game.  I didn't go to the game, listened to the legendary Jim Nelson call the game on the radio.  This is 50 years for Jim Nelson calling football games, and while he has some small opportunities (I don't believe he gives the time remaining enough), he is good.  So good at setting the play, you can almost see the offense and defense through the radio.  Listening to his tapes ought to be Broadcasting 101 for anyone that wants to do radio.

Anyway, question 1:  On the Bluefield pregame radio show, Freddie said something about Graham being about to practice "year round" and the benefit it gives.  Can anyone speak to the allowed practice times of each state?  I honestly do not know, which is why I'm curious?

Not really a question, but a comment.  Jim Nelson mentioned Bluefield being in an unbalanced line several times.  That phrase is overused, most that use it do not know what it really means.  In local legend, unbalanced is when the interior linemen are not "balanced".  A regular balanced line will be LT....LG...C.,..RG...RT.  Back in the day, Bluefield would use LG...C...RG...IT...OT.  Usually the short side had a TE, sometimes both did.   I saw a picture on the BDT site, and it looked to be seriously unbalanced left.  Did Bluefield run a lot of that?

Also, what are the thoughts about Bluefield.   I guess mine tend to be a little cynical, I do like to be wrong about it.  They seem to focus on speed, the passing game has a lot of growth needed.  Bluefield appears to have a pretty big OL, and I heard early on that they were handling the LOS, but it appeared later they were not.  Scheme change by the defense, or fatigue.

Thoughts?

bluefield%20hs%20unbalanced%20line%20201

Two questions about the game. I didn't go to the game, listened to the legendary Jim Nelson call the game on the radio. This is 50 years for Jim Nelson calling football games, and while he has some small opportunities (I don't believe he gives the time remaining enough), he is good. So good at setting the play, you can almost see the offense and defense through the radio. Listening to his tapes ought to be Broadcasting 101 for anyone that wants to do radio.

Anyway, question 1: On the Bluefield pregame radio show, Freddie said something about Graham being about to practice "year round" and the benefit it gives. Can anyone speak to the allowed practice times of each state? I honestly do not know, which is why I'm curious?

Not really a question, but a comment. Jim Nelson mentioned Bluefield being in an unbalanced line several times. That phrase is overused, most that use it do not know what it really means. In local legend, unbalanced is when the interior linemen are not "balanced". A regular balanced line will be LT....LG...C.,..RG...RT. Back in the day, Bluefield would use LG...C...RG...IT...OT. Usually the short side had a TE, sometimes both did. I saw a picture on the BDT site, and it looked to be seriously unbalanced left. Did Bluefield run a lot of that?

Also, what are the thoughts about Bluefield. I guess mine tend to be a little cynical, I do like to be wrong about it. They seem to focus on speed, the passing game has a lot of growth needed. Bluefield appears to have a pretty big OL, and I heard early on that they were handling the LOS, but it appeared later they were not. Scheme change by the defense, or fatigue.

Thoughts?

bluefield%20hs%20unbalanced%20line%20201

Question 1: In Virginia, there are now fewer restrictions on organized practice during the offseason. Currently you are allowed to practice with coaches present during the offseason rather than simply weight training and conditioning with the exception of specified and designated "dead periods". I am unsure of the specifics of what is allowed or not, but a few years ago, organized team activities were only allowed during a specific portion of the year. I believe Pulaski County was penalized for violating the old rules a few years ago.

Who is this Cousin? From the various comments and reports, he was no doubt impressive. The name is unfamiliar to me compared to the Graham names whom I am familiar. What type of runner and size?

I know I will find out in 2 weeks, but I am curious now. Thanks

Who is this Cousin? From the various comments and reports, he was no doubt impressive. The name is unfamiliar to me compared to the Graham names whom I am familiar. What type of runner and size?

I know I will find out in 2 weeks, but I am curious now. Thanks

Jamorya Cousin, played at South Rowan. The roster I saw didn't have player weight. On twitter, they say he's 199 lbs. I'm sure there are others here who know more about him than me.

Two things i took from the game i will remember. After the the game that Bluefield won, all the fans were not happy with their play. And after the game I heard a Graham fan say they were just happy to be in the game in the 4th quarter.

Cousin plays hard and is a physical runner. . Big step up in the run game for Graham. i would like to see grahams receivers come back to the qb when he has to scramble. There were several dropped passes also. I thought Graham had the better team. . . Bluefield had the x factor in Carlos Reed. he can win a game for you when the rest of the team is struggling. huge amount of potential for Graham. Im excited to see them play again. Another thing that was nice to see was kids in the right position for their skill sets. Friday night cant come soon enough. i want to see Cousin run the ball some more. i havent seen that much determination and effort since Ahmad was there. Not saying that he is another Bradshaw . . . But hey fun to watch. the whole team needs to load up on bananas too. . Cramps came at inopportune times on Friday. I do believe that this community is coming together to bring Graham football back.