Oh, Bud Foster

Foster lacks a certain perspective on perception and, in my opinion, that has played a key role in him never getting a head coaching position.  People outside the fan base aren't going to give two shits whether it was implemented or not.  He failed to see public perception which, in the modern information age is largely reality.

After reading more about this and thinking about it I think players should get fined if they screw up....hold them accountable for their stupid actions....if they are going to basically give them free money(plus a free scholly worth alot more) then fine them if they screw up....or just don't give them free money in the first place like I think they should.....if they want to get paid so bad then pay them but make them pay for the entire scholly out of that money and see how they(and family) like that

And I agree I think ole Frank was the one hiding stuff.....another reason he needs to hang it up...the game has passed a good man by, time to let someone else take over......someone other than Bud please

It's also terribly unethical.

We could argue that point about all sorts of things. My step brother worked for a company that took his Christmas bonus because he missed some work when he was sick. He was fined. And players are fined their bowl stipend if they screw up. It's life.

We could argue that point about all sorts of things. My step brother worked for a company that took his Christmas bonus because he missed some work when he was sick. He was fined. And players are fined their bowl stipend if they screw up. It's life.

I, your coach who makes $1,500,000/year, have decided to fine you, player who has $100/week meal stipend, because the Miami offensive player shoved you and you retaliated.

There is a perfectly valid, downright obvious reason that VT is getting neutered in the press over this. And we're not even talking about the fact that even by your own example, players would be treated like employees. Think about that one for a second before you respond.

I, your coach who makes $1,500,000/year, have decided to fine you, player who has $100/week meal stipend, because the Miami offensive player shoved you and you retaliated.

There is a perfectly valid, downright obvious reason that VT is getting neutered in the press over this. And we're not even talking about the fact that even by your own example, players would be treated like employees. Think about that one for a second before you respond.

I don't have any sympathy. Their college is PAID FOR. I'm in tens of thousands of dollars of debt for my tuition. Theirs is free. I have to work in a work study job to feed myself. They get money from the college. 

They made the choice to be an athlete and play football. If they screw up bad enough to warrant a fine, then that's on them. You won't see my doing something to lose my job. It's called responsibility.

I get that they are paid less than $100 a week. But so do I. They made the choice to be an athlete. I made the choice to major in music, a major that doesn't allow much time to have a high paying job. 

I don't have any sympathy. Their college is PAID FOR. I'm in tens of thousands of dollars of debt for my tuition. Theirs is free. I have to work in a work study job to feed myself. They get money from the college.

They made the choice to be an athlete and play football. If they screw up bad enough to warrant a fine, then that's on them. You won't see my doing something to lose my job. It's called responsibility.

Just because you go to the school doesn't mean that you have to down a gallon of maroon-colored Kool-Aid.

You're fining players who are largely on the lower socioeconomic rungs of society, players who largely wouldn't come remotely close to college without athletics. And the one doing the fining is literally THE highest paid assistant coach in the country.

Make them run, sure. Taking food off their tables?!

It's morally disgusting, and there's not enough server space to blast Foster for doing this, Beamer for condoning it, and Babcock for being so blind as to not see it on HD TVs around Tech's practice facilities.

Just because you go to the school doesn't mean that you have to down a gallon of maroon-colored Kool-Aid.

You're fining players who are largely on the lower socioeconomic rungs of society, players who largely wouldn't come remotely close to college without athletics. And the one doing the fining is literally THE highest paid assistant coach in the country.

Make them run, sure. Taking food off their tables?!

It's morally disgusting, and there's not enough server space to blast Foster for doing this, Beamer for condoning it, and Babcock for being so blind as to not see it on HD TVs around Tech's practice facilities.

I'm not drinking any kool-aid. If this happened at Tulane, I would say the same thing. 

These players are under a full ride. That includes the highest meal plan at a college that has THE BEST CAFETERIA IN THE NATION. Food isn't taken off their table. Extra spending money is if they screw up. 

Should it happen? I don't know. I don't get to decide that. But I don't feel one bit sorry for them. They are rock stars on this campus. They need to learn the responsibility that comes along with that. Period.

You're trying to paint me into someone who was ok with VT taking their stipend they get. I'm NOT ok with that. As I've already said. I'm just backing up the BOWL GAME allowance they get being taken if they screw up repeatedly. 

Good lord if this would have happened at any school in the country other than VT then UVAO wouldn't have said a word about it....let it rest

And i doubt they are taking food off the table for these kids....dining halls are open for them...so don't give me that garbage

Want to get paid for what you do then pay the price when you screw up plain as that

Good lord if this would have happened at any school in the country other than VT then UVAO wouldn't have said a word about it....let it rest

And i doubt they are taking food off the table for these kids....dining halls are open for them...so don't give me that garbage

Want to get paid for what you do then pay the price when you screw up plain as that

If Huggy Bear had done something this cowardly at WVU, I'd have mentioned it, along with some jokes about booze money. It's a HUGE deal in CFB circles, not just in VA. Deadspin is just teeing off on VT about it. At last count, 3 different articles with 11 different cites.

Even some of the jokers on TechSideline see the moral bankruptcy of this. And that's a group that doesn't frown when you mention U.S. v. Morrison...

Underrated part about the whole thing:

(1) Missing class: $30-$90.

(2) Personal foul: $100.

Would actually be funny if this didn't pass for "accountability" for Chokie fans.

Once again, I'm NOT BACKING them taking their stipend. The bowl allowance is a different thing. And I bet if you went to 100 programs, 75 of them do it. 

You're hatred of VT amazes me sometimes.......