2015 Week 1 Updates 8/27

Ryan4VT

I just don't see us beating GC by 45 even if GC is down some this year.  They are not going to roll over,  too much pride in that program IMHO.  

I believe Union is the real deal,  but I also think the Blues are the real deal.  It will be a monumental task to go to their house and beat this Union team,  but I think if any one can do it,  it is this Blues team.  Not saying they will,  just saying that I think we may be the only team in this area that MAY have the ability to do it.  Of course,  it is still VERY EARLY to know just how good or bad any team is.  Richlands started out loosing our first couple of games last year and then went on a run and made it to the semi final game,  so a lot of football to be played ! 

It sure is gonna be a heck of a game !!!

For the record...Perrigan dislocated his shoulder in the 2nd qtr and then tried to play in the 3rd.  Popped it out again.  Doc pops it back in and Perrigan was done for the night.  It didn't really matter.  JIB may have some big kids up front....but they couldn't get wide to block for that dreaded sweep that JIB tries wayyyy too much.  The 3 straight botched snaps from JIB didn't help them any (1 shot gun and 2 under center).  The snaps didn't lose the game for JIB but Perrigan may have had some more looks had they not happened.  Union had a ton more kids than JIB did.  I just think JIB had better put in some new plays as the season goes...or get a faster OL to block for the sweep.  I think a fundamentally strong game by Richlands will make their game good with Union.  Union won't be able to do to Richlands what they did to JIB...no doubt.  Union ran through the 6 hole all night....Mance would adjust for that but JIB didn't.  The picks thrown by JIB weren't spectacular picks or anything...the ball just had a ton of air under it and the DB just waited for it to come down.  My daughter could have caught them and she can't even catch a cold.  This kind of win for a team can sometimes do more harm then good.  The team that makes the least mistakes will win...or whoever has the ball last. 

Union plays the same real team that has failed to put them away and that has cost the same team twice. They could win in similar fashion again. Or just win period.

I'm not saying we are going to win. I'm simply saying that Union played a vastly overrated team in JIB. Richlands is the real deal. As is Union.

Unions measuring stick is against Richlands and vice versa.

Normally the measuring stick would be GC for Richlands and vice versa considering that's usually the first game of the season....or at least that's the way I see it. Just don't see that being the case this year....but I hope I'm being too pessimistic instead of a realist. They won't roll over on you guys.....but if the talent isn't there to match up then it's just not there.

Ok. It's cool. I was just throwing that out. Burton is a rivalry game being so close to Big Stone and Appalachia.

In no way did I expect this. I thought it'd be close in the first half with Union wearing them down in the second half.

But yeah, Burton was overrated.

For the record...Perrigan dislocated his shoulder in the 2nd qtr and then tried to play in the 3rd.  Popped it out again.  Doc pops it back in and Perrigan was done for the night.  It didn't really matter.  JIB may have some big kids up front....but they couldn't get wide to block for that dreaded sweep that JIB tries wayyyy too much.  The 3 straight botched snaps from JIB didn't help them any (1 shot gun and 2 under center).  The snaps didn't lose the game for JIB but Perrigan may have had some more looks had they not happened.  Union had a ton more kids than JIB did.  I just think JIB had better put in some new plays as the season goes...or get a faster OL to block for the sweep.  I think a fundamentally strong game by Richlands will make their game good with Union.  Union won't be able to do to Richlands what they did to JIB...no doubt.  Union ran through the 6 hole all night....Mance would adjust for that but JIB didn't.  The picks thrown by JIB weren't spectacular picks or anything...the ball just had a ton of air under it and the DB just waited for it to come down.  My daughter could have caught them and she can't even catch a cold.  This kind of win for a team can sometimes do more harm then good.  The team that makes the least mistakes will win...or whoever has the ball last. 

I dont think Perrigan would have made a difference at all, he was unable to get to the outside befory the injury, and and was getting wrecked inside. The big Burton OL was pitiful, and the kid supposedly receiving interest from big schools, got his butt whipped all day.

Burton was WAYYYY overhyped. They didn't even get a challenge, at all. This was a walk through. 

They will play a real team next week. 

When Richlands heads up there next week, that will be the litmus test for just how good they really are. 

Us folk around Wytheville always root for our scrimmage and jamboree mates. Have for years.

Iron sharpens Iron.

The Tornado have a slew of GW fans in these parts. That's just how we are. 

Go Richlands!

OK Trumpet! You fired the first shot and I will respond. I guarantee..... you will see a much different team next week! Is Richlands better than you guys? I don't know and neither does anybody else. If you guys beat us I will be one of the first to congratulate you all but if we beat you....I will also be one of the first to remind you of that.

Just throwing that out

Us folk around Wytheville always root for our scrimmage and jamboree mates. Have for years.

Iron sharpens Iron.

The Tornado have a slew of GW fans in these parts. That's just how we are.

Go Richlands!

There's plenty of GW fans down here too!! Good luck against Raddy.

I remember coming back from a GC game and we stopped at a pizza place on the way back about 8 or 10 miles from Legion Field. We had lost that night and a guy working there was a GC fan and of course we all had our Navy blue on so the guy says rough game tonight. I said yep you guys were better tonight. That was the first time we had lost to them in I think maybe three years. The guy was so humble he talked more about the previous few years than that night. He sat down with us and shot the bull for a while, that's just one example of why I think GC has the best fans. Every fan base has a few jacknuts ( the meaning of Jacknut is a mix between a jack-ss and a nut job), but I can honestly say I have never met GC's resident Jacknut. I've met some from everywhere else, Union don't have many either. Some teams are blessed with an over abundance, and yes Richlands has them also they seem to always set near me at away games LOL. 

Union plays the same real team that has failed to put them away and that has cost the same team twice. They could win in similar fashion again. Or just win period.

This is a legitimate claim.  The wasn't the first shot, but a return volley, in my opinion.  I don't understand why any Richlands fans are on here talking about Union.  We haven't even played our first game yet.  Seems a bit premature to me.  Now I believe that this Richlands team is special and may have a real opportunity to compete for a state title.  I hope we dispatch Gate City as easily as Union did Burton, but it may be a slug fest.  Either way,  win or lose.  Union should be the favorite in next week's game.  We will be the underdog.  Most teams around SWVA have a mental block about beating Richlands before they even step on the field.  However, Union is not one of those teams.  And neither is GATE CITY, that is Richlands opponent tonight.  Just my thoughts.

I wasn't "firing shots." At least it wasn't my intention.

That was a way of saying to watch saying that Union plays a real team next week because Union does seem to have Richlands' number, which is a statement of fact. If you take it as a shot then, oh well. I will not argue with anyone about whether or not I was firing shots.

Compared to Burton last night, Richlands is a real team. Due to Burton's and Union's proximity to each other I don't see their series ending, no matter how good or bad the other team is.

If Richlands beats Gate City in the same manner that Union beat Burton then Union has a lot to get ready for. They have a lot to get ready for as it is. As everyone in SWVA knows, Union could beat Richlands or vice versa.

Now that's settled.

Burton seems to get a lot of hype. Before consolidation the games seemed to get hyped up between them and Powell Valley. PV usually quietened that down but from 05 on, Burton figured out how to beat PV who was on a slippery slope.

I'm pulling for the Tornado. I think it will be a tough game.

Burton SHOULD have been a lot better than last year.Had the whole team back plus Perrigan. I REALLY thought they would have been better. I believed their hype too. They weren't on the same level as Union, but I do believe they will be better in 1A than what they showed last night. They did self destruct, but had every snap been true and Perrigan been healthy through the whole game it wouldn't have made a difference. Some of that self destruction was courtesy of Union. I don't think Burton was prepared for the way the Bears attacked. Union was on a mission. Best team they have ever put on the field. Especially defense. VERY hungry defense.

Curious to see what happens tonight with Richlands/GC. Regardless of the outcome, it will only increase the excitement and anticipation for next week's Richlands/Union game.

There's plenty of GW fans down here too!! Good luck against Raddy.

Thanks man! I think we're gonna need it. Everything I've heard coming out of Radford says they're gonna be very good. I look for them to be the best Radford squad I've seen in a while. 

We have a very sophomore heavy team, so this is a great litmus test for our youngins.

This stuff about if Richlands beats GC like Union beat JIB just doesn't hold water.

You cannot take the way one team plays against another and project it out to how they will match up against any other team.......period !

Some teams just happen to match up better against certain teams than they do against others.  A team may just have a bad night,  but it doesn't necessarily mean that is the type of team they are.

Union always plays the Blues tough and vice-versa.   I have seen teams come into Ernie and are beat the minute they get off the bus,  but Union and Gate City, Bluefield and Graham are teams that come to mind that are not intimidated by playing the Blues at Ernie or anywhere for that matter.

The only thing that matters ( at least to me )  is that we get a win tonight !

I just don't think that if we beat GC by only a couple of points or by a blowout that it will make any difference on whether the Blues or Union can win next week or not.  I guess it makes it fun to talk about,  but IMHO,  that's about all it's good for.

I do think that the Blues will match up much better with the bears than JIB did.  It sounded like JIB was beat before they came out of the locker room.  The poor center couldn't make a snap to save his life at the start.,  the bad punts, and the turnovers.  A lot of that can be chalked up to 1st game jitters I guess,  but the bears sure didn't seem to have any jitters.  I almost ( almost ) felt sorry for them ( JIB ) because they struggled so bad.  You just can't make mistakes like that against a team as good as Union and have a chance.  You also have to give credit to the Union coaching staff for having their kids ready to play right out of the gate.  

Thanks man! I think we're gonna need it. Everything I've heard coming out of Radford says they're gonna be very good. I look for them to be the best Radford squad I've seen in a while.

We have a very sophomore heavy team, so this is a great litmus test for our youngins.

All that youth will pay off in spades. This Richlands team right now was a bunch of sophomore and freshmen starters two years ago. And now it's there for them to take. Same thing for GW in the next few years.

This stuff about if Richlands beats GC like Union beat JIB just doesn't hold water.

You cannot take the way one team plays against another and project it out to how they will match up against any other team.......period !

Some teams just happen to match up better against certain teams than they do against others. A team may just have a bad night, but it doesn't necessarily mean that is the type of team they are.

Union always plays the Blues tough and vice-versa. I have seen teams come into Ernie and are beat the minute they get off the bus, but Union and Gate City, Bluefield and Graham are teams that come to mind that are not intimidated by playing the Blues at Ernie or anywhere for that matter.

The only thing that matters ( at least to me ) is that we get a win tonight !

I just don't think that if we beat GC by only a couple of points or by a blowout that it will make any difference on whether the Blues or Union can win next week or not. I guess it makes it fun to talk about, but IMHO, that's about all it's good for.

I do think that the Blues will match up much better with the bears than JIB did. It sounded like JIB was beat before they came out of the locker room. The poor center couldn't make a snap to save his life at the start., the bad punts, and the turnovers. A lot of that can be chalked up to 1st game jitters I guess, but the bears sure didn't seem to have any jitters. I almost ( almost ) felt sorry for them ( JIB ) because they struggled so bad. You just can't make mistakes like that against a team as good as Union and have a chance. You also have to give credit to the Union coaching staff for having their kids ready to play right out of the gate.

I was speaking hypothetically. I don't think we beat GC that bad. But it's happened before in this series, both ways.

It's transitive property, which should NEVER be used in football. (Man, I feel like UVAO saying that....)

Sadly, a lot of people use the transitive property to predict games. I like to look at matchups. And that's why I think we can hang with Union, or anyone else this year.

Union and Richlands have had amazing matchups since the school's inception. Nobody should have any reason not to believe this year won't be the same.

It's gonna be an absolute barn burner.

I think Unions dismantling of burton surprised alot of people (I for one thought that the score would be much closer)

The question now is Union really that good or Burton that bad.

I think Burton will still end up as one of the Top A teams in the West half of the state.(I can only think of 2 Single A  teams in SWVA that should give them much of a problem)

This could be the Union team everyone thought would emerge 4 years ago when Appy and PV first consolidated. I now join everyone else in looking forward to next weeks match up to see which team will come out on top as the Bully of SWVA (Assuming that GC does not pull off the upset tonight)