Richlands @Union

Duke2015

May be a rematch in Salem.

I hope not. I DO NOT want to see them again this year. I just want to take the win and go home(or stay home in this case). This was such a hard fought and evenly matched game. Absolutely amazing. For the 5th year in a row decided in the final minute 30 (I think). Third year in a row decided on the final play.

Hat goes off to Richlands. It started a little chippy, but I saw a lot of sportsmanship on both sides. A TON of respect between these programs and their fans. Sometimes you really do wish that this was still like T-Ball in that you could tell all the players on both teams it was tie.

Guys I'm not just saying this cause I'm a union fan! That being said after the end of the day like everyone else on here I'm a football fan. An that was the best game from start to finish I have ever seen in high school. Amazing we might had been on the winning end of this one. But this is to all richlands fans you have a great team An wish you guys the best and good health through out the year. With our best DB out the next guy up did a good job. Both teams are loaded with talent just a awesome atmosphere an game good luck.

WOW what a game! I really hope Union doesn't have to play Richlands again unless its the championship game. Two very talented teams battled it out to the end. Best of luck and safety for the players, coaches and fans of Richlands, You guys are a great team and I meet and talked to very good group of guys from Richlands I am truly a new Blues fan, 

I thought Richlands was extremely chippy early, all the facemasks, personal fouls, and targeting the helmets, but that ended after half time. I was disappointed, Richlands usually carries themselves with the utmost class, but the team in the first half was pretty bad in how they acted.

I just gotta say LOL to everyone who said the teams had no chance to score 30 haha

I called that part myself. I was off on my score as I predicted 40-35 Union win...but I wasn't off by much. But there was no way these two offenses were going to be held to under 21 points on either side. Defenses are equally good for both teams....but nothing in comparison to both high powered offenses.

I agree it started off a little rough but I saw a few call that should have been called on Union that weren't. This may sound crazy to most and i agree with safety, but football is a contact sport. I don't think the targeting to the head was intentional I just think there were two teams playing their hearts out. 

Congratulations Union!

I did not think that many points would be scored. It hurts to lose but you guys have a great team and I hope we meet again this year. I want get into the finger pointing it just demishes the great game we saw.

Talked with many Union fans and not one was rude. Everybody was great!

Good luck the rest of the season.......until we meet again.

Its just amazing 5 games can be decided by a GRAND total of 12 points. WOW!!!!

As with all the other Richlands fans on here I want to say congratulations to the Bears and their fans !!!!  Had an absolutely great time watching a fantastic football game between two GREAT teams and fan bases !  What a great atmosphere also !

Our young men were not targeting helmets on purpose,  they are a hard hitting bunch,  that play with a lot of heart, and play with a lot of emotion and I hope they continue to play like that,  just maybe be a bit more aware of the helmet to helmet hits.

We have some things we need to clean up,  but it is only the 2nd game and I know they will continue to get better !

I was very proud of the Blues tonight,  and I have to say that I was proud of the Union kids,  they played a good game and will be hard to beat.  I also met and talked to some Union fans after the game,  and they were very friendly, kind and respectful of our team and fans and for that I thank you !

It's rare that a game especially a high school game lives up to the pregame hype,  but this one did.  The young men on both sides played their hearts out and it's a shame there had to be a looser,  and it was us tonight,  but I still like a lot of what I saw from our boys and I know our coaching staff will fix the issues we need to fix and hopefully we will meet the Bears and their fans again........late in the playoffs !

Good luck the rest of the year Union...............at least until we meet again !

Oh,  and Ryan,  I am so sorry to hear about what happened to you and your family tonight !  I wish I could have been there to help you out in some way.  Maybe on these away games those of us that want could share our cell numbers with each other just in case anything like this was to happen again.

I pray it never does,  but we never know.

Glad you all made it back home safe !

The only problem I saw with the helmet to helmet situation was when our QB was already being tackled and another Richlands player came in and got him helmet to helmet. No harm no foul though. Richlands played and excellent game. #3 is an absolute monster and the linebacker wade? Is a beast.

Highlights on BHC, WCYB, and WJHL websites.

From Bristol Herald Courier...

First downs basically even. 60 yards separating the two. 802 total yards.

Team Stats

First Downs: RIC 24, U 23; Rushes-Yards: RIC 167, U 206; Passing Yards: RIC 264, U 165; Comp.-Att.-Int.: RIC 18-32-3, 10-22-1; Fumbles-Lost: RIC 3-2, U 2-0; Penalties-Yards: RIC 11-90, U 6-55; Punts-Average: RI 3-31, U 7-29

Congrats to Union on a hard fought win.

This is my take on the game:

1) The targeting call was a bad call the ball carrier was stumbling and struggling and his head also lowered it should have been a no call sometimes when a tackle is made and the ball carrier stumbles it changes the position of his head the defender has already started his angle of tackle. That call in my opinion didn't change the game that much. Even though it probably kept a scoring drive alive that may not have been a scoring drive otherwise. It  was just one call and it happened early in the game no excuses. The only reason I bring it up is because it was already mentioned. They could have called the same call 3 or 4 more times on each team.

2) Union was the best team last night.

3) Union was a well oiled well polished machine. They made no major mistakes ( no unforced mistakes, or bone head penalties).

4) Richlands was the most physical team

5) Richlands made at least 5 major mistakes. Missed FG, 2-INTs that were unforced, a blown coverage that went for a TD, and an attempted strip of the ball with 7 sec left in the half instead of a tackle. That's not counting the other INT that was a good play by the Union player, or the fumble that was mostly unforced (I gave him the benefit of the doubt) in the red zone, and the missed extra point that had pretty good pressure on it.

6) Union played a mistake free (mostly) game and beat a mistake prone Richlands team by one point in OT. Part of being a great team is playing mistake free Union has that part down, that is why I say Union had the better team last night and that is why they will be very hard for anyone to beat. They are also loaded with talent, speed, size and they are hard workers, they are already a great team.

7) Richlands like I said before was more physical, has at least as much talent, speed, size and work ethic, we just don't have the small things worked out yet, I feel about Union this year the same as I did about Gate City last year and that is " if we meet again this year I like our chances". I just can't imagine Union playing any better than they did last night but Richlands has alot of work to do and so much room for improvement. 

8) Union had the best team and played better last night. Richlands I feel has the best team overall and has the most upside, If they played and both teams played mistake free I think Richlands beats them by 10-15 points, But Richlands has it to do, if they played again and Richlands makes a few major mistakes then Union wins again. This is just my feeling after watching this game along with about 300 other Richlands games over the years. I've watched games before and I know if we played a team that we lost to 100 times we would lose 100 times( mostly in the 80's lol ) and watched games we lost that we would beat them 90 times (state game 2010) if we played last night's game 100 times we would win 60-65 of them. 

In all honesty. ....I think if you pit these teams together 10 times....you get exactly what you got last night each time! A close game that comes down to a final play with the winner being a toss up. No matter how anyone wants to slice it..... Richlands and Union pair up against one another better than any 2 teams out there right now. Late in the year Union too will be improved, so Richlands improving to the point that they are far better by the end of the year will be void in the argument if and when they play again. Both are great....both played great last....the ball just bounced Unions way again in the turnover and mistakes category. That's all you can make of it. Mistakes and turnovers would more than likely be the deciding factor in the next one as well.

If they play again you can bet I'll be present....I'll have a personal day saved up at work by then. Be nice to see a great game without having to be tensed up the whole time.