Richlands

Olebluedev

First off I want to congratulate Richlands on a great win you all have a excellent team.. I have been a reader on this forum for years and love it and so keep it up.. But in a past post I had read that you all believe this year's team was as good as 2010. So from an outsiders point of view I'm gonna state they are as advertised but as of right now I believe they are currently a step behind 2010. Reason why I say is because I know the team we fielded (GC) in 2010 and they would have put up more points than 7 against the current just my honest opinion anyone care to elaborate

I can't recall the score from 2010, but I remember the game with the GC team that won the state title that year. It seems the game was close and Richlands came out in the I formation with Devon Johnson being injured, and running Cody Thomas several plays and scoring, thus sealing the win. The 2010 GC team was much better than the current group, but it's hard for me to compare the 2 Richlands teams because while they are similar in talent, they are a very different team. A healthy Devon Johnson, along with Will Lowe, made the 2010 team slightly more physical and diverse in the running game, to complement the passing game of Lockhart/Reese Strong throwing to Bradley Strong and Austin Johnson. This year's team is much more talented in the passing game with the strong arm of Asbury throwing to a much deeper group of talented receivers, with running back Nick Blankenship (or if a healthy Brandon Waldron was added with Blankenship)complementing the offense. While we must wait to see the results, my assessment based on potential is that defense is a wash, while 2010 is slightly better on the ground and 2015 better through the air. If 2015 meets expectations, we were and are blessed to have had both these groups in recent years. How does anyone else see it?

The 2010 Richlands team beat the 2010 State Champion GC team 31-0. That Blues team is one of the best I have EVER seen come out of SWVA, and I saw the great PV and Appy teams of the 80's and 90's. I'm sure that Richlands is very good this year, but I would be surprised if they are in the same league as the 2010 team. They were just PHENOMENAL that year.

I will find out for sure on Friday.

Well the 2010 team had the passing game as well it was pretty much pick your poison because there defense was flat out nasty... Keep in mind Gate City was missing a key component in the tailback that was out that game and it still would have been 31-7 or 31-14 instead of 3 and out all night long.. I believe we might of had 8 yards total

We will truly find out come December.

True. Right now it is all potential and speculation. As we have all seen over the years as well, a little luck also helps. The injury bug or an off night has a knack to negate that talent or hard work. We have seen it too often over the years.

It is very hard to compare teams from one year against another,  but it is fun isn't it !

But IMHO,  I think this team has the potential to be as good and possibly better,  and by better I mean only if they win it all.  In my opinion,  2010 may have had a little better running game with Devon ( I know Devon was hurt at GC ) and that O line might have been a little better to start off the season.  This years O-line has a chance to be very good,  but I think the 2010 line was a little better to start the season.

And as good as lockhart was at QB,  I think Asbury has a better arm and much more accurate, and throws a little more catchable ball, but Asbury is only into his 2nd game so we will see how it goes the rest of the season.  Lockhart was a bigger threat to run.  Lockhart had a gun,  but was not always as accurate as Asbury seems to be so far.  Although 2010's team had a really good set of receivers,  this years team seem to be a little better and deeper,  and maybe all around more athletic.

The defenses seem to be a wash right now.  I think this years D is better against the pass though.  This could also be the best D-backfield we have had here.........at least in a long while.  

First off my son played on the 2010 team. I think they are the best team we've had. This team this year would give them a run for their money. My top 5 all time are in order 2010, 1992, 2015, 2005 and 2006. I watched all of those, while each are different if I was coaching that is the order I would choose them. This team this year has the ability to be great but they still have a few bugs to work out. I know Mance is really putting alot of work in on this game. This game has a late playoff game feel to it. As a fan I can only hope for a game #15 or #14 rematch. The only weakness I can see from this team is a problem with the reads from the QB and WR which will get better as the season goes on. I think the only chance Union has is if they can get a couple of INT's from this. If not it will be a long night for Union. OR I could be wrong which according to my wife I'm wrong about 99.9% of the time.