Union

tornado99

Hard to compare. PV never ran the T, they were always I-Formation except the few years they had Robbins and Mitchell(i think was his name) at QB. Appy never passed on a regular basis. This team can do both.

I can compare them to the previous 4 Union teams though. Best Defense Union has ever put on the field. Most all around speed they have ever had. Union has had some good players, but this is the first team that just seems to have athletes everywhere.

No Union team has completely dominated another team like they did Burton Thursday night. Not even when they beat Thomas Walker 59-12 in 2012. This team just has a confidence about them that I haven't seen since the old PV and Appy teams. That may be the only comparison I can truly make to "the good ol days."

Good insight. I remember watching a few of the very talented PV teams, but of course Thomas and Julius were clearly the difference between a solid and championship team. Unfortunately, I was only able to witness Appalachia play in the very lopsided state final loss to William Campbell. I have always heard stories of how tough they were.

Appalachia in the 90's the 92, 93 94, 96, 97 teams were run oriented but also had Travis Turner to throw when needed and also had very good defenses. This Union team will be more pass happy with more big playmakers at the wideouts. The defense looked great Thursday but will find out this week how good they really are.

I think it comes from Travis Turners familiarity with it, plus it makes a nice change up to the shotgun offense that they base out of.

If there is a better offense to gain 3-4 yards than Double Tights T, FB Dive/Belly I have yet to see it.

Did the occasional use of the T-formation come from the Appalachia heritage and is it just another name for the late Tom Turner's "mud bone" as referred to in old BHC articles?

Appalachia ran it almost exclusively. They did pass out of it some as well. Union ran primarily a 2 back set with some passing in 2011. Exclusive T in 2012, 50% T and 50% spread and 2 back set in 2013. Almost exclusive spread in 2014. So far they are running everything this year.

Turner has been good about adapting the offense to his personnel.

Bishop is the RB. If it's single set it's him. Summers is the FB out of the T. There's also Fannon out of the T and in the 2 back set. Bishop was hurt when we played you guys last year. That was Summers, Fannon and Noakes at RB last year.

Richlands was employing a thunder (Waldron) and lightning (Blankenship) with backs of different styles until Waldron's injury;however, even though Blankenship is known for his quickness, I have been very impressed with his strength.

Noakes is just a pure athlete. He can play anywhere, offense and defense. Can't really differentiate stye. Just have to see in person I guess.

I am looking forward to Friday. Since you seem very knowledgeable, what's your opinion on which Jones brother was the best?

Thomas. No question.

The 97 and 98 teams could have probably won state without Julius. After all he(Julius) and about 4 others were suspended for the first playoff game in 97 and the team still beat Coeburn 48-14. Those two teams were absolutely loaded with talent.

Thomas was the heart and soul of the 94 and 95 teams.

Thomas was not only a better player, but a more disciplined person. His college and NFL careers spoke to that.

Not trying to interrupt on the conversation you all have going, just wanted to throw in that I noticed in the jamboree Union also has #5 Stidham they can use at running back. Not as big as Summers but can run almost just as hard.

Thomas. No question.

The 97 and 98 teams could have probably won state without Julius. After all he(Julius) and about 4 others were suspended for the first playoff game in 97 and the team still beat Coeburn 48-14. Those two teams were absolutely loaded with talent.

Thomas was the heart and soul of the 94 and 95 teams.

Thomas was not only a better player, but a more disciplined person. His college and NFL careers spoke to that.

That was my opinion as an outsider as well. Thanks for sharing. I played against the 98 team with Julius and they were loaded. Did anyone else go D1 from that group? I know Stepp, Prewitt, and Gilley went to Emory, as did I, but I remember McCoy and Williams being very good.

I am looking forward to Friday. Since you seem very knowledgeable, what's your opinion on which Jones brother was the best?

And if you have never seen these:

PV 90's highlights

CLASSIC Thomas vs Burton

1A state champ vs 2A state champ. And both beat 3A state champ Gate City that year (1997)

Not trying to interrupt on the conversation you all have going, just wanted to throw in that I noticed in the jamboree Union also has #5 Stidham they can use at running back. Not as big as Summers but can run almost just as hard.

I noticed that they used him a couple of times. He's actually bigger(he's 220) than Summers, but I think he's "meaner" on the DL like they have him.