2nd Republican debate

redtiger

I certainly hope there is hope, for my children and yours. I think we all agree the system, as is, is broken. It can only be fixed if we all work together. After all, we all created the mess in one form or another.

I hope one day we will have a man step up to the plate as either John F. Kennedy or Ronald Reagan did.  It's sad that those are the only two U.S. Presidents that I can honestly say I have admired.  I'm 64 years old, and those two men count for 11 years.  That's sad.

I tend to be in the minority with my world views living on SWVA. I am fine with that. I have found if I present my case in a respectful fashion while respecting the views of others in the process, it is well received. To me, Reagan and Kennedy exuded a "presidential" vibe. A certain gravitas that is lacking in todays political landscape. Leadership in general has become more about who screams loudest and carries the biggest stick.

One thing I will say about the KY situation that still makes me scratch my head a little (and maybe I am wrong about it but what I researched says otherwise).  Federal law allows the marriage of gays and lesbians.  KY state law on marriage is defined as the marriage between man and woman.   Since she was in a state elected position, wasnt she by default actually doing her job?    How is the federal/state difference on the law much different than how marijuana is being treated in Colorado and other states?

My personal views on same sex marriage does not agree with the Supreme Courts decision.  But if her job says she should perform these permits, then she should or resign if she isnt comfortable in doing so.  I do respect everyones freedoms and thankful for the freedoms I have in the US and dont want them infringed upon.  I like hearing someone speak about something I disagree with because I dont want to be closed minded to only my beliefs.  Doesnt mean it will change my mind but it doesnt bother me to hear it most times.

Im sure UVAObserver will be able to bring better light to the first statement for me.   

sixcat youre a libertarian. Tell me if im close; fiscally conservative, social liberal and you love the constitution and think we have gotten too far away from the spirit of what this country was meant to be. Am I close? He may be left of you Bob but hes not a left winger.

Stripes, pot is illegal in CO under federal law, but the Feds choose not to enforce the law(another issue we have, picking and choosing what to enforce). I think Davis is DEAD WRONG in what shes doing but I think a compromise can be reached. As long as someone in the office is handing out marriage certificates then everyones views and beliefs are respected. After all the law changed while she was in office, now if she runs for reelection and gets reelected then I think she should have to fulfill the duties of her position in their entirety. 

One thing I will say about the KY situation that still makes me scratch my head a little (and maybe I am wrong about it but what I researched says otherwise). Federal law allows the marriage of gays and lesbians. KY state law on marriage is defined as the marriage between man and woman. Since she was in a state elected position, wasnt she by default actually doing her job? How is the federal/state difference on the law much different than how marijuana is being treated in Colorado and other states?

My personal views on same sex marriage does not agree with the Supreme Courts decision. But if her job says she should perform these permits, then she should or resign if she isnt comfortable in doing so. I do respect everyones freedoms and thankful for the freedoms I have in the US and dont want them infringed upon. I like hearing someone speak about something I disagree with because I dont want to be closed minded to only my beliefs. Doesnt mean it will change my mind but it doesnt bother me to hear it most times.

Im sure UVAObserver will be able to bring better light to the first statement for me.

Federal law trumps state law. If federal law is in conflict with state law, federal law prevails.

Although this instance is not so much "law" as interpretation of the 14th Amendment. Sparing an intensive legal discussion, the Supreme Court ruled that laws/constitutions prohibiting gay marriage are unconstitutional under the 5th and 14th Amendments.

Therefore, all state laws or state constitutions prohibiting gay marriage are unconstitutional federally, and federal trumps state.

Redtiger, I do fall in line with libertarian views by-in-large. Admittadly though, I havent thouroughly read through their ideology. I have a strong belief in autonomy. We are responsible for our actions. My wife and I teach our children, your sister didn't "make" you mad. You disagree with her and that angers you. That is your response, therefore, your responsibility to manage and control that response.

This probably explains my dissatisfaction with news media, all news media. They have a responsibility to report from an unbiased viewpoint, yet rarely do so. They far too often try to tell the viewer how to feel by leading the viewer to certain conclusions in the way they tell the story.

Not every ideology is 100% correct nor 100% incorrect. Working toward sensible solutions is a must and we are getting farther and farther from that daily!

I identify as a Libertarian but I dont agree 100% with everything. Look into it some and I think you will find a lot of common ground, but I believe about half of America is Libertarian with some variation left or right.  Personal responsibility and individual rights are the core ideas of the ideology 

Over the weekend, my brother and I were having a discussion in reference to the republican field.  He brought up what I think was a very intriguing possibility concerning Trump. 

We were disagreeing on what role Trump was actually filling in this campaign season.  I was of the opinion, that at the end of the day, his run would be bad for republicans or at least not helpful.  I do think he forced candidates from both sides, and the media, to take on topics that would not normally be broached.  That is a very good thing.  Some of his comments and stances would not play well in a general campaign.  However, I think/thought that when the curtain closed on that polling booth, many would not support him.   Remember when Kelly asked him just how long he had been a conservative?  I did not agree with her tone or timing but it is a relative question; one which may create pause for those who do not lean left.  Also, roughly 40% will vote democrat and 40% will vote republican no matter who the party puts out there.  So I am not sure Trump could garner enough support of the remaining 20%.

My brother presented this stance:  Trump being in the campaign at this very early juncture keeps the field from eating each other.  It keeps the media from hammering away at the "front runners".  Trump, just by his presence, is actually protecting the truly viable candidates.  Remember the damage McCain and Huckabee inflicted on Romney?  It was brutal.  The opposition and media did not have to work hard to harm Romney.  All they had to do was rehash the primary rhetoric and mudslinging of his own party.  Trump is keeping that as a minimum.  Trump is the headline; Trump is the story.  The other candidates can work on building their campaigns instead of responding to acts from the other candidates.  He even opined that Trump may be doing this purposely to, in effect, keep the dumb arses from irreversibly damaging the eventual candidate.   

My big brother and I usually have "lively" debates on the most asinine topics.  But after letting his theory sink in, it appears to have some merit.  There will certainly come a time when the field dwindles that they place each other in the crosshairs.  But at least at this early stage, Trump is taking all the heat and serving as a shield (on purpose or not) for the rest of the contenders.

By the way, I think Trump is WAY too narcissistic to do this on purpose.

A coworker and myself were having a similar conversation(what role does Trump play? Because it isint as a viable candidate). He feels that Trump will rally up a large group to his straight shooter/tough issues/not another politician banner and then bow out, endorsing another candidate and giving him the support Trump has garnered.

I think thats very possible and I think that candidate is Bush. He takes shots at Bush but not the way he does other candidates. For example he said Bush was low energy and Bush responded by being more high energy in the 2nd debate. 

Idk if thats what hes doing or not but I could see it

The entire American population is conflicted.  Midterm elections and House and Senate races have contradicted our choices for president and vice-versa for decades.  I think Trump is there to show politicians, especially republicans, how starved the american people are for honest, unfiltered speak and how we see through the rhetoric we often receive.  

He often says what he thinks and feels, sometimes to his own detriment, but he gets away with it because we haven't seen our candidates speak without any number of polling data and test audiences.  Everything they say is tested, rehearsed, retested, re-rehearsed, washed, rinsed, rewashed, retested and rehearsed again.  

Trump often speaks without notes or rehearsal, which is refreshing, even if it comes from the epitome of the "Ugly American".