Gate City @ Ridgeview

HaysiHigh1969

Geeze. I mean Gate City is good but they are blowing it. 

A shocker no doubt but let's throw caution to the wind. It's always a head scratcher when you compare team results against common opponents, one team wins by 40, while another favored opponent wins by a TD. Too many variables to factor in but I'm sure rain played a role in last night's result.  There is a lot of respect out there for GC and rightfully so, however, but just because the media says they're the best 0-5 team in the state, nobody is going to fear them. They're 0-6 now and Bill Parcells said it best..."You are who you are"!

Cant really go hard on GC. This is the first loss that was an upset and Ridgeview has shown flashes of being a really good team they just havent been consistent. GC plays the toughest schedule of any 1A team other than maybe Essex. 0-6 isint the norm but its not shocking considering the schedule

Cant really go hard on GC. This is the first loss that was an upset and Ridgeview has shown flashes of being a really good team they just havent been consistent. GC plays the toughest schedule of any 1A team other than maybe Essex. 0-6 isint the norm but its not shocking considering the schedule

Just one thing, GC is 2A.

Congrats to the Pack. With all due respect to both teams WHAT HAPPENED!! I have seen nothing about about the game were turnovers a issue, rain, or just out played? I do not mean to take anything away from RV just curious was GC that bad or did the return of the starters for the Pack make that much of a difference. Once again CONGRATS on the big win.

Union's schedule is no slouch either...and there are many schools with a tougher schedule than Essex...

And Gate City's for that matter. I'm not bagging on either teams schedule, it just appears their are a lot of GC apologists floating around. Schools go through down years, so no shame in that but don't continue to blame a schedule. You play the teams in front of you...besides after they lost to Union, I said they would win their remaining five. Looks like I was wrong but I'm not buying the tough schedule. This whole area can be tough!

Essex plays three 2As, a 3A, a 4A and a 5A.  In terms of just playing larger schools I dont think any school in the state can compare. I dont see GC, Richlands or Union playing a school 4 classifications larger...   As well as their district schedule which isint soft. Not knocking the schedule of any of those teams, just making a point.

Im not using the schedule to apologize for GC, just saying they are a good team with a very tough schedule. If they make the playoffs(they will have to win out from here to do so) they would be a nightmare first round matchup.

Reynolds returned for Rv as did some others. Reynolds is the Wolfpacks best Defensive Back and I believe he had 2 ints. 

Dawgs4life, youre right. The whole area is tough. The Mountain District is tough top to bottom(well, Battle is struggling). 

Essex plays three 2As, a 3A, a 4A and a 5A.  In terms of just playing larger schools I dont think any school in the state can compare. I dont see GC, Richlands or Union playing a school 4 classifications larger...   As well as their district schedule which isint soft. Not knocking the schedule of any of those teams, just making a point.

Im not using the schedule to apologize for GC, just saying they are a good team with a very tough schedule. If they make the playoffs(they will have to win out from here to do so) they would be a nightmare first round matchup.

Reynolds returned for Rv as did some others. Reynolds is the Wolfpacks best Defensive Back and I believe he had 2 ints. 

Dawgs4life, youre right. The whole area is tough. The Mountain District is tough top to bottom(well, Battle is struggling). 

Thanks for pointing this out. Essex should be well prepared for the 1A playoffs. And proves my point about GC schedule not being as tough as some may think. I'm not here to argue and I agree, if they make the playoffs they will be a very tough out. Union knows this all too well!

Say what you want about GC's schedule. They play one of the toughest schedules in the area year after year and don't pick cupcakes and 90% of the time have a very good record against it. 80% of the schools in the area would not have a winning record playing the same schedule. If they played a cupcake schedule like some schools do in this area they would be 5-1 or 6-0. Just ask Union who is maybe the #1 team in VA or Bluefield #2 or 3 in WV if they would like to play them again? I have the utmost respect for GC 10-0 or 0-10.

Of course geography plays a big part in that. Essex is less than an hour from Richmond, giving them access to a variety of opponents. Union, GC, and Richlands do very well considering the limited opportunities. As does Abingdon now.

Being a SWVA homer I've always looked forward to the challenge of playing teams from the other end of the state with their so-called 'athletes'. I wish schools would take the challenge and schedule one regular season game a year against an eastern or central VA school. They know what we're about down on this end, history speaks for itself!

Say what you want about GC's schedule. They play one of the toughest schedules in the area year after year and don't pick cupcakes and 90% of the time have a very good record against it. 80% of the schools in the area would not have a winning record playing the same schedule. If they played a cupcake schedule like some schools do in this area they would be 5-1 or 6-0. Just ask Union who is maybe the #1 team in VA or Bluefield #2 or 3 in WV if they would like to play them again? I have the utmost respect for GC 10-0 or 0-10

For one, like most schools, their schedule is set probably for 3-5 years with the option to probably play 1 or 2 different opponents every so often (1 home 1 away agreement normally). GC plays in the Mountain District which we can say is fairly competitive, but you discredit the other teams by blaming GC 'tough' schedule. I've got the utmost respect for them as well but I highly doubt coaches target cupcakes. This ain't Nebraska we're talking about and some districts are just weak. J.I. Burton will probably win the Cumberland District for the next 10 years.

I would LOVE to see a couple of East/West regular season Saturday games. The gate would be HUGE when the West team hosted because local fans from every school would be there. Just not 2 schools in the same group, 1A/2A, 2A/3A type matchup.  Maybe even just benefit games

Well I know Richlands does a 2 year home and home, so it's usually a two year rotation and every two years you are scrambling for the next two years. This is not college you are not making a schedule for 2020 right now. GC has a tougher schedule than either Richlands or Union this year and I'm a Richlands fan. I'm not taking anything away from Union or Richlands but the truth is the truth. We all three have a tough schedule and Richlands and Union are both better this year.