Gate City @ Ridgeview

HaysiHigh1969

Also if GC had Marion's schedule or Lebanon's schedule they would be 6-0. GC I hope will make the playoffs and make some noise I just hope Richlands don't draw them. Lol

Yeah and if Union was in the Cumberland, how fun would that be? SMH...

Dawgsforlife are you by chance one of those big stone gap police officers that were intimidating senior citizens at football games? I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are one of the resident jacknuts from Union. 99% of Union fans are respectful and appreciate tradition. Unionfan and ALL the other Union fans on this forum are humble and proud ( in a good way). Taking a cheap shot at GC while they are down is juvenile at best. You guys may draw GC in the playoffs. I personally think Richlands is a  better team than Union, but Union beat us fare and square and right now are the better team until we can or can't prove otherwise. As a Union fan ( and you are the only one ) I wouldn't be so quick to discredit GC considering they gave Union all they could handle. All other Union fans like I said you guys beat us head to head 3 years in a row and I respect your program just like I do GC's program. Richlands, GC and Union's programs deserve respect for their tradition, tough schedules and dedication to fundamentals even in a down year. 

Dawgsforlife are you by chance one of those big stone gap police officers that were intimidating senior citizens at football games? I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are one of the resident jacknuts from Union. 99% of Union fans are respectful and appreciate tradition. Unionfan and ALL the other Union fans on this forum are humble and proud ( in a good way). Taking a cheap shot at GC while they are down is juvenile at best. You guys may draw GC in the playoffs. I personally think Richlands is a  better team than Union, but Union beat us fare and square and right now are the better team until we can or can't prove otherwise. As a Union fan ( and you are the only one ) I wouldn't be so quick to discredit GC considering they gave Union all they could handle. All other Union fans like I said you guys beat us head to head 3 years in a row and I respect your program just like I do GC's program. Richlands, GC and Union's programs deserve respect for their tradition, tough schedules and dedication to fundamentals even in a down year. 

See I knew it would take one person to read way too much into everything I'm saying and take it out of context! I not only have the utmost respect for GC but after the game with them I made a beeline to speak with Coach Jake Houseright. My brother played ball with him and I snapped a picture just for nostalgia sake. I root for all SWVA teams, yours included, but as some folks would probably agree, I'm just not feeling the schedule excuse. They're down this year, get over it! I wouldn't make excuses about Union's schedule if we were going through the same thing. I know what GC is capable of, we drew them two years ago in the playoffs after beating them in the regular season and lost. But it's almost like folks are scared to call a duck a duck. GC is not making excuses or screaming about how tough their schedule is...they're playing the game and trying to get better! You, my friend on the other hand, need to calm down and enjoy the remainder of the season and what lies ahead.

In my humble opinion I think both of you are right about GC this year and probably most of the GC fans would agree.  I do think GC is down this year I don't think there any 2 ways about it.  They lost a lot of talent from last years team.  They have good talent this year but are a bit young and inexperienced,  and they have also played a tough schedule so being down this year,  plus the tough schedule adds up to an 0 & 6 record.  But if they make the playoffs,  they will be a tough out and next year they should be pretty dang good team.  

Without a doubt........a down year for GC. Granted we have played a pretty tough schedule so far, but truth be told, we just don't have as much talent as in years past. 

A little turmoil going on in the program right now. 5 kids quit the team the week before the RV game. 

I don't think there is anybody that doesn't respect GC. This was still a huge win for a struggling Ridgeview, especially after last weeks heartbreaker with Lee where a referee cost them a win by spotting the wrong player down. Play calling was much improved. Good step in the right direction.

Referees cost them the game. Not so sure I think maybe Lee would have scored at will after they made the change in the backfield. Did not happen until the fourth quarter but Ridgeview still has not tackled #45. Of course if I where a GC lover or a Ridgeview fan I would say the same. Kind of like Lee fans after the Union win. The Devils lost bcause of the lack of team ball and Ridgeview won,because of heart. It is what it is.

Referees cost them the game. Not so sure I think maybe Lee would have scored at will after they made the change in the backfield. Did not happen until the fourth quarter but Ridgeview still has not tackled #45. Of course if I where a GC lover or a Ridgeview fan I would say the same. Kind of like Lee fans after the Union win. The Devils lost bcause of the lack of team ball and Ridgeview won,because of heart. It is what it is.

#45 didnt have a great game running the ball against Rv. Ok but nothing special.

Rv was in a Stack-I formation(just to be clear, QB- FB-HB-TB) the Ref spotted the TB down, the HB had the ball and was across the goal line. The Wolfpack should have won by 5.

Every bit as bad as Union/Lee last year

Jake Houseright doesn't coach at GC...for what's it's worth.

I honestly think there'll be a changing of the guard at the end of the season. As for the schedule, I prefer to keep the teams we have but spread them out a little more. No offence to the last 5 on the schedule, but we're extremely top heavy. We have the talent, but the problem is they're walking the halls instead of being on the team.

If the Pack hadn't made so many mistakes they would've beat us by more than 5. The Pack had a whole lot of turnovers, the most of any team we've played this year. I understand it's Ridgeviews 1st year and they will be much better in the coming years. It's just like the Union/ Lee game last year. We (Lee) should've never been in the position were that call cost us the game, we were inside the 10 several times and made mistakes and didn't score.

A lot of mistakes by both teams.

One things for sure, it was a hard fought, close game

Best of luck to Lee the rest of the way

Agreed RV had there chances to put away Lee regardless of the Touchdown that was or was not. Turnovers killed RV more than the call.

GC had there chances last week vs RV but turned the ball over to much and did a poor job in some of there pass coverage.

All valid points I agree the schedule is tough and yes I think they are down a little this year. As for a kid or 5 quitting the team what has happened to the youth and parents these days. I am old school and yes I played for Appalachia 92 thru 94 season and had I went home and told my parents i had quit mid season well i would have been beat to death. Yes back in the day you could beat your kid and not go to jail lol. I hope they can get it together and represent SWVA in the playoffs. I for one as a Union and the rest of SWVA football fan hope to see all teams make a run and i really dread drawing Richlands or a down GC team in the playoffs. would love to see Union and Richlands 1 and 2 run the table cross bracket and play for the title if thats even possible. Excuse my ignorance on this system as I don't keep up with how it works past the 3rd round as thats as far as Union has ever made it haha. Good luck and safe travel to all teams this week. 

All valid points I agree the schedule is tough and yes I think they are down a little this year. As for a kid or 5 quitting the team what has happened to the youth and parents these days. I am old school and yes I played for Appalachia 92 thru 94 season and had I went home and told my parents i had quit mid season well i would have been beat to death. Yes back in the day you could beat your kid and not go to jail lol. I hope they can get it together and represent SWVA in the playoffs. I for one as a Union and the rest of SWVA football fan hope to see all teams make a run and i really dread drawing Richlands or a down GC team in the playoffs. would love to see Union and Richlands 1 and 2 run the table cross bracket and play for the title if thats even possible. Excuse my ignorance on this system as I don't keep up with how it works past the 3rd round as thats as far as Union has ever made it haha. Good luck and safe travel to all teams this week.

Richlands and Union will not end up 1/2 or 2/1. Appomattox isn't losing baring some crazy upset. They will go 10-0 and be the 1 seed. I think Union goes 10-0 and is 2. Richlands at this point is just hoping for top 4 so we can have 2 home games.

2 West teams could (and have in 1A) meet in Salem. The first 2 years of the new system thats what happened. Clintwood v Galax and Honaker v George Wythe. 

Richlands and Union will not end up 1/2 or 2/1. Appomattox isn't losing baring some crazy upset. They will go 10-0 and be the 1 seed. I think Union goes 10-0 and is 2. Richlands at this point is just hoping for top 4 so we can have 2 home games.

Assuming all "probable" victories, if Union finishes 10-0 they can beat out Appomattox for the #1 seed. Giles or Glenvar will have at least one loss after Friday. If the same team that loses that game loses another then Richlands will be #3 assuming a 9-1 finish. If Union and Richlands finish #1 and #3 or #2 and #4 then they can meet for the championship. A lot of ifs in there, but it is possible.

Assuming all "probable" victories, if Union finishes 10-0 they can beat out Appomattox for the #1 seed. Giles or Glenvar will have at least one loss after Friday. If the same team that loses that game loses another then Richlands will be #3 assuming a 9-1 finish. If Union and Richlands finish #1 and #3 or #2 and #4 then they can meet for the championship. A lot of ifs in there, but it is possible.

If Union and Appo both go 10-0, Appo will get the 1 seed. They have 2 A, 2 3A teams and one 4A also. Union has 2 A, 1 3A and 1 out of state 4A team. Appo should have more points out of that.

Reed is coming up with so much talent where he's at one would wonder if he would take it. Is the old Coach still helping him out?

Appo still has to face Amherst?  They have some good wins.

I had heard that Amherst had 1 win. 

If Union and Appo both go 10-0, Appo will get the 1 seed. They have 2 A, 2 3A teams and one 4A also. Union has 2 A, 1 3A and 1 out of state 4A team. Appo should have more points out of that.

Not so fast my friend.... 

Playing larger teams only counts if they win. Union's win over 1A JI burton will get them 33-35 power points. Appomattox's win over 3A Heritage will most likely only net them 26-28 points as they have only won 1 game and will more than likely finish 3-7 or 4-6.

And David Crockett, Union's 4A "out of state" team, still gets full power points. If they finish 5-5 that would be 32 more points.

Also, scheduling for the Dogwood means all the teams play each other the rest of the year. All games will be a "push", meaning Appo can't gain points as the teams they beat will be playing each other so they get the same points regardless of who wins.

Like I said a lot of "IFs", but it is possible. Union would depend on Eastside sweeping their Cumberland schedule with the exception of JI Burton, and Crockett to finish 6-4.

Assuming all teams win out and Giles beats Glenvar.

1. Union - 290 - 29

2. Appo - 288 -28.8

3. Richlands - 270 - 27

4. Giles - 268 -26.8

5. Glenvar - 264 - 26.4

If Glenvar beats Giles

1. Union - 290 - 29

2. Appo - 288 -28.8

3. Glenvar - 284 - 28.4

4. Richlands - 270 - 27

5. Buckingham - 261 - 26.1

Not so fast my friend.... 

Playing larger teams only counts if they win. Union's win over 1A JI burton will get them 33-35 power points. Appomattox's win over 3A Heritage will most likely only net them 26-28 points as they have only won 1 game and will more than likely finish 3-7 or 4-6.

And David Crockett, Union's 4A "out of state" team, still gets full power points. If they finish 5-5 that would be 32 more points.

Also, scheduling for the Dogwood means all the teams play each other the rest of the year. All games will be a "push", meaning Appo can't gain points as the teams they beat will be playing each other so they get the same points regardless of who wins.

Like I said a lot of "IFs", but it is possible. Union would depend on Eastside sweeping their Cumberland schedule with the exception of JI Burton, and Crockett to finish 6-4.

Assuming all teams win out and Giles beats Glenvar.

1. Union - 290 - 29

2. Appo - 288 -28.8

3. Richlands - 270 - 27

4. Giles - 268 -26.8

5. Glenvar - 264 - 26.4

If Glenvar beats Giles

1. Union - 290 - 29

2. Appo - 288 -28.8

3. Glenvar - 284 - 28.4

4. Richlands - 270 - 27

5. Buckingham - 261 - 26.1

If your right and I have no reason to doubt you.......I hope Giles beats Glenvar. I would be pulling for Giles anyway. I could never pull for a Roanoke team....lol