The Backyard Brawl 2015

Ryan4VT

It's that week. Both teams will be pumped up for the game. Richlands is still striving for a top seed in the west. Tazewell will look for the upset to define their season.

The thing that scares me in this game is the Blankenship factor. If this game gets out of hand and ugly early on, will the Tazewell players start taking cheap shots and trying to hurt Nick? I hope not, but these are teenagers and anything can happen. 

That said, I think Richlands wins fairly big. 

Thoughts?

Agree with hokiebird,  if it gets out of hand early,  and you see any signs that they targeting Nick, (  I hope that's not the case )   then you get him out.   

I don't think that Tazewell is a dirty team,  but like Razor stated,  they are teenagers and if the game is out of hand they will be already frustrated,  and they will also have the emotion that one of their best players from last year left them and is now playing for the other side,  so somebody COULD decide they want to send him a msg. and try to hurt him........nobody needs that,  not Tazewell or especially Richlands.  Also,  Barrett may want to keep his head on a swivel during the kickoffs.

Richlands wins this game big,  and I usually don't like to pick the Blues in blowout wins, but I just don't see anyway the Dogs keep it within 3 or 4 TD's.

...LOL.....LOL.....I tell ya Razor....oopps, I mean Ryan, I have a bad case of gray hair syndrome ! I didn't have my reading glasses on......sorry.....again !

You 2 look a lot a like on line !

Haha. It's all good. Just had to take a jab at ya.

Is Tazwell that dirty?

Even when PV/Appalachia hated each other to to the utmost extent, we never had to worry that the Dawgs were going to intentionally hurt someone.

Coeburn, maybe. But not Appalachia.

I wasn't trying to say they are a dirty team. I was saying that I hope in a heated rivalry, where their best player left and is now at Richlands,  that the kids keep their cool if it gets ugly and don't start taking cheap shots. 

I don't think they will. But the possibility is always there.

I wasn't trying to say they are a dirty team. I was saying that I hope in a heated rivalry, where their best player left and is now at Richlands,  that the kids keep their cool if it gets ugly and don't start taking cheap shots. 

I don't think they will. But the possibility is always there.

Oh okay, I gotcha.

Kinda like the Pinkston situation at Norton, when the eldest, Malcolm, left PV for Norton (well was kicked off the team) and played one game for Norton, against PV. But it was not like PV lost their best player, his little brother Myron was still on the PV team and was a much better player overall.

Anyway, my prediction=PAIN lol

Richlands-42

Tazwell-7

Even when PV/Appalachia hated each other to to the utmost extent, we never had to worry that the Dawgs were going to intentionally hurt someone.

In 1990 it happened. Very late hit on the QB on a screen play busted Duncan's ACL and MCL. Maybe by the late 90's it settled down, but that was a dirty game every year. Lots of cheap shots. Not many serious injuries, but dirty play none the less. Wasn't always just coming from one side either. Much of it was tit for tat.

In 1990 it happened. Very late hit on the QB on a screen play busted Duncan's ACL and MCL. Maybe by the late 90's it settled down, but that was a dirty game every year. Lots of cheap shots. Not many serious injuries, but dirty play none the less. Wasn't always just coming from one side either. Much of it was tit for tat.

I remember that, and it was intentional. I was told several Appy players admitted to it because they felt PV was running up the score.

Maybe it calmed down during my time period (early 2000s) because Appalachia had fell off hard and it was never close. 

But now that you mention it, my cousin played on that team, and he mentioned how Appalachia intentionally hurt Duncan. He always said Coeburn and Appalachia were the dirtiest teams.

I also said specifically that Tazewell is NOT a dirty team and I don't believe they will do anything dirty,  but as I also said,  they are teenagers, and they do have emotions and the game of football can be very emotional out on the field.

I know I played with emotion,  and IF things are going bad,  then the emotions of the game can sometimes take over for a moment.  We have all seen teams that are getting beat pretty bad and can get frustrated and sometimes make a late hit or hit out of bounds.

My daughter went to school there and I know a lot of people from there and I know they are good kids and would not and are not planning on doing anything to try to hurt a player on purpose,  but,  as I said, emotions  ( especially in a heated rivalry )   can sometimes make you do something in a moment that you may not normally do.

So no,  I don't think they are a dirty team,  I think they are a proud, hard hitting team !

Is Tazwell that dirty?

Coeburn, maybe. But not Appalachia.

Coeburn people take a measure of pride in that. It is not over exaggerated.  The phrase "we lost a lot of games but we never lost any fights" has been uttered to me a lot.

I spoke with some Tazewell fans at the Richlands/Bluefield game last night, they were really nice no horns or forked tails either. Lol. Tazewell always play us hard. It may not be close but they will leave it all on the field. I remember well when Tazewell would wipe the field with us and I told those good ole bulldogs that last night. 

Wouldn't you like to see John Luke run some ....

Against good competition would like to see him run....as in actually carrying the ball occasionally. Without that threat, Bluefield was able to key on Blankenship....especially inside their 10 yard line.

Tazewell players won't try to hurt Nick. They are really good kids and will just play the game.

Talent wise, Tazewell just won't have the ability to hang with Richlands and it will be an uneven game. I really don't think Mance will run the score up either but may not be able to help it. It will be somewhere in the same range as the Graham/Richlands game. A lot of the JV team will get to play in the second half for Richlands with a running clock but Richlands JV kids aren't too bad themselves :(

I do think Tazewell will move the ball a little on them but Richlands D is tough.

Final:

Richlands- 56

Tazewell- 7

Great group of kids at Tazewell. I don't think anybody should worry about cheap shots. These kids are first class. There is not a "win at all costs" attitude there. This season is all about character and the team concept. Coach Allen has done a great job. Coach Williams has contributed tremendously.As have the other coaches. Everybody takes credit or blame when the team does well or poorly, there is no pointing fingers at coaches or other players when things don't go their way. I like what I am seeing fromt the Bulldogs, every team should be like this. This is the kind of team that I would want my kid to play for.

I tell Coach Allen and the other coaches a lot that I like what I see from the kids. Allen has been great for the attitude and character of the boys and I wish the community would only recognize the positives that will bring later in life.

Coaches are always criticized for not winning games but building great young men is important.  

The Blues need to use every opportunity to grow in ever direction they can. When you get to them upper level teams in playoffs the longer pass option will become fewer and fewer because of better coverage. Anybody that makes it to the upper level in high school football knows how to defend the run first so much of that goes away. Belfry, Wilson Memorial,  and Union when we got within the 25-30 yard range it was like you had so much good coverage in that small space options became very few, let some points get away.  Need to find some answers, at that level every point is worth gold.

Have to admire them Dogs.  All the junk that has been on these boards for years seems to have gone away.  Sounds like the tide has turned for them in that they are becoming more optimistic verus negative,

Keep this going and in a few years you will have something.  Got to see the last 5 minutes of that 8th grade game, got some good pitch and catch going on there.

I tell Coach Allen and the other coaches a lot that I like what I see from the kids. Allen has been great for the attitude and character of the boys and I wish the community would only recognize the positives that will bring later in life.

Coaches are always criticized for not winning games but building great young men is important.

I'm happy to hear some things are changing for the positive in Tazewell. As an outsider, I can't pretend to know what it is really like, since most of my Tazewell family is a few years removed from the school and community. The difference I have always been told, between Richlands and Tazewell has been a winning mentality and culture. Talent comes and goes, and I have seen many Richlands teams over achieve and defeat more talented teams (including many Tazewell squads). The usual feedback that I receive is that some have a sense of entitlement and down earn their positions, as well as not putting in the time and work to develop in the weight room.That has led to success on the field, and later in life to those who apply those lessons. That success has also lead to transfers who want to be a part of that success. That said, is that how it has been in Tazewell over recent history (ex. Richlands with 40-50 in weight room, while Tazewell 10-20), and is that changing? Thanks