The Backyard Brawl 2015

Ryan4VT

The weight room program has steadily increased for Tazewell. The new athletic facility will help tremendously because there is a lot more room and the new equipment will get utilized.

One of the biggest differences in Tazewell and Richlands is this: Richlands players, coaches and fans believe they can win any and every game. Just like you stated, it's the mentality of the game.  Tazewell doesn't have that. Its part of the culture of the program right now and once that changes I think the program will really be on the mend.

It will sadly take some time and I hope Allen can hang around to get the program built to where he is working to get it.

Thanks for the reply. I hope some stability continues to develop for those kids. As another poster said, there was a time Richlands had a losing mentality against Tazewell. When I was young, I remember 7 straight losses in the late 80s, early 90s. I for one, root for Tazewell to finish 9-1 every year.

Well this is the week that my head says the Blues win big

BUT

my heart is still hoping the Dawgs can make a game of it.

Knowing several of the players on the Tazewell team, whatever the final score is Friday night doesn't diminish the effort, work and pride you have carried this year in representing your Dawgs.  The only limitation that can hold you back is not having the vision for the future of Tazewell football and its resurgence as a dominant program in Southwest District.  The tools and giftings are there, apply them, strengthen them and the rest will follow.

Thanks for the reply. I hope some stability continues to develop for those kids. As another poster said, there was a time Richlands had a losing mentality against Tazewell. When I was young, I remember 7 straight losses in the late 80s, early 90s. I for one, root for Tazewell to finish 9-1 every year.

Tazewell use to dominate Richlands just like Richlands has dominated Tazewell the past 20 years!

In 1990 it happened. Very late hit on the QB on a screen play busted Duncan's ACL and MCL. Maybe by the late 90's it settled down, but that was a dirty game every year. Lots of cheap shots. Not many serious injuries, but dirty play none the less. Wasn't always just coming from one side either. Much of it was tit for tat.

It also happened in the late 90's when a bunch of thugs sent some crap video tape to a star Appalachia running back and to sum it up 2 days befor the game the Appy kid went to BSG and put a thumping on the kid that sent the tape. As to the Mr D incident I do remember that very well and yes it probably was intentional as the player who did it was a punk. I know this because I played one year with him. The funny part of the story was when the players dad came out on the field and tried to start a fight with Tom Turner (which was not a good idea) then hurried off the field. Every team at some point has had a bad apple but can't judge a program off of one bad decision with the exception of Coeburn. They couldn't win games or fights lol

Tazewell use to dominate Richlands just like Richlands has dominated Tazewell the past 20 years!

Tazewell had a nice 6 game streak in the series from 1985 to 1991 -- and that was particularly frustrating for those of us on the Richlands side who experienced it directly. But it takes a large stretch of logic to try to equate that with the Blues' current and ongoing mastery of the doggies. Sad but true for both of us in this particular instance.

John Luke is at 1,768 yards with 24 TDs and 4 INT. Justin McCracken had just over 2,600 and that's the record for Richlands. Asbury needs just over 300 a game over the last 3 games to hit Justin's mark.

Also, since the Union game, he has 19 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. He's really turned a corner.

I remember that, and it was intentional. I was told several Appy players admitted to it because they felt PV was running up the score.

It went out 42-6....it was 28-6 in the 3rd qtr when it happened. I know because I was on the field when it did. Don't see how that can be viewed as running up the score. It was bad blood..pure and simple. Wasn't the only altercation between players from both schools back then tho..most of it happened away from the gridiron tho.