Officiating at Bluefield

HM3-8404

I was not let down, it is still very bad. I have to say that it is getting better so it went from horrid to just very bad. I say this not taking anything away from the team, coaches or fans from Bluefield, they have a very good team and should be proud of them.

1) REALLY late whistles, in VA when your forward momentum is stopped a second later the whistle blows, at Mitchell the back is driven 15-20 yards back and at any time during this if you drop the ball its a fumble.

2) The reason for the late whistle in my opinion is no one knows where the forward progress stopped thus leading to the bad spot of the ball, literally the ball is spotted at least 1 maybe 2 yards off on each play. People sitting near me where flipping their lids after each spot.

3) No calls on obvious fouls, a pass interference no call in the middle of the field, a hold by the receiver on a big run in the open field, 12 players on the field. someone was saying 4 timeouts for Bluefield in the first half ( I can't verify that statement ) but the other 3 statements anyone at the game can testify to.

4) A phantom holding call on a kickoff return for a touchdown, I was looking at the play when it happened. #80 from Richlands hit a Bluefield player and knocked him backwards while falling backwards he reaches up grabbing #80 by the jersey pulling him down on top of him #80 with both arms out wide falls on him thus holding on Richlands?

As any Richlands fan can attest their is a huge difference in officiating at Mitchell depending on if you play Graham or Bluefield. Do any other VA teams have a problem with this? Do WV teams have the same problem? 

I have an honest question if someone who is in the know could answer it. I was told years ago that in VA the District and or VHSL finds and pays the refs and also that a ref from say Tazewell can't officiate a Tazewell game, But in WV the home team finds and pays the refs thus if the refs don't perform to the home teams expectations they will never be called upon to ref anymore of their games. So the question is, is this true or was someone just blowing smoke up my butt?

I have to say that the call on the kickoff return was a block below the waist.  Mance even mentioned that on the radio after the game.  The player called for that infraction told Mance that he slipped and hit below the waist,  so that was not a holding call.

Just wanted to clear that one up.

Officiating always is horrendous when you cross into KY or WV. Friend of mine who plays for Central got ejected for fighting when they played at Letcher, which was ridiculous

Okay bigrhsfan I will give you that one (lol) I didn't hear that on the radio because I was at the game. Which brings up another question. Isn't pulling a blocker down by his jersey a penalty? It was out in front of the play at the point of attack, so they saw a block below the waist but not the out in front wide open foul? Plus I didn't even mention Bluefield being off sides on about 75% of the kickoffs. I sat on the 40 yard line right on the line.

I was sitting near some Richlands fans who are very respectable and 2 of which played college ball ( in other words not jacknuts ) whom almost never say anything. Also I think my record on this forum speaks for itself I pretty much call it like I see it. I know some times the calls go your way and some times they don't. I just really feel like when you play at Bluefield against the Beavers you are going to get raked over the coals by the officiating crew. Mark my words it will come back to haunt us in the future just like it has in the past.

KY is not much better, I remember in HS playing at Breathitt County, even after I graduated, I had officials TRYING to fight me, a fan! for telling them to lay off a kid. Phil would tell the kids that every close call, and some invisible calls, would go against PV, just maintain your composure an win.

It sucks, because when KY schools (or WV schools) come to VA, they usually get treated pretty decent, but they sure do us no favors.

Glad Letcher Co comes to Union.

Unless I'm mistaken, the game is at Letcher.

Youre right, ughh, that sucks. Have to deal with KY refs.

Its the next to last game as well, hope Union goes in undefeated and plays with pride (and careful, the refs will def. do Union no favors)

Do you remember me from the old LPD board?

Union at Middleboro in 2013 was beyond ridiculous. When a Middleboro player walks up to an official AFTER the play, points at a Union player and motions that he was held, and the official throws a flag you know it's going to be a long night...and it was. Then there was a phantom 30 yard unsportsmanlike penalty that the ref couldn't even tell Turner what it was for. I dread going to Letcher.

Union at Middleboro in 2013 was beyond ridiculous. When a Middleboro player walks up to an official AFTER the play, points at a Union player and motions that he was held, and the official throws a flag you know it's going to be a long night...and it was. Then there was a phantom 30 yard unsportsmanlike penalty that the ref couldn't even tell Turner what it was for. I dread going to Letcher.

I was at that game, it was an absolute embarrassment. I felt bad for Travis and the kids, they got it HARD from the refs that night. 

Richlands is always one of the more penalized teams in the area, but they're normally good enough to make up for it. Caleb Jennings probably had 10 touchdowns called back..you would think you guys would be used to it by now lol

Richlands is always one of the more penalized teams in the area, but they're normally good enough to make up for it. Caleb Jennings probably had 10 touchdowns called back..you would think you guys would be used to it by now lol

That comes from being one of the top dogs. Also comes from the 92 game with Salem. A lot of things add up to refs calling us very close.

Haysi played at Letcher in 05 and it was a fairly called game. Of course it was a royal butt whipping and no amount of "help" could have saved LCCHS that night.

Hopefully it will be the same with Union this season

I been hearing rumors about how officials are in KY and WV, I guess all the rumors are true. you pretty much have to play against the refs in those states, but what about TN officials, are they decent

I was not let down, it is still very bad. I have to say that it is getting better so it went from horrid to just very bad. I say this not taking anything away from the team, coaches or fans from Bluefield, they have a very good team and should be proud of them.

1) REALLY late whistles, in VA when your forward momentum is stopped a second later the whistle blows, at Mitchell the back is driven 15-20 yards back and at any time during this if you drop the ball its a fumble.

2) The reason for the late whistle in my opinion is no one knows where the forward progress stopped thus leading to the bad spot of the ball, literally the ball is spotted at least 1 maybe 2 yards off on each play. People sitting near me where flipping their lids after each spot.

3) No calls on obvious fouls, a pass interference no call in the middle of the field, a hold by the receiver on a big run in the open field, 12 players on the field. someone was saying 4 timeouts for Bluefield in the first half ( I can't verify that statement ) but the other 3 statements anyone at the game can testify to.

4) A phantom holding call on a kickoff return for a touchdown, I was looking at the play when it happened. #80 from Richlands hit a Bluefield player and knocked him backwards while falling backwards he reaches up grabbing #80 by the jersey pulling him down on top of him #80 with both arms out wide falls on him thus holding on Richlands?

As any Richlands fan can attest their is a huge difference in officiating at Mitchell depending on if you play Graham or Bluefield. Do any other VA teams have a problem with this? Do WV teams have the same problem? 

I have an honest question if someone who is in the know could answer it. I was told years ago that in VA the District and or VHSL finds and pays the refs and also that a ref from say Tazewell can't officiate a Tazewell game, But in WV the home team finds and pays the refs thus if the refs don't perform to the home teams expectations they will never be called upon to ref anymore of their games. So the question is, is this true or was someone just blowing smoke up my butt?

Ironically, every team that has to go to Richlands has the exact same feelings about the officiating...

BTW...your last paragraph is complete and total BULLSHIT...just thought I'd let you know...

Thanks for clearing up the last paragraph Gman. Does anyone know how they choose refs for games either in VA or WV, it would be nice the next time I see the guy who told me this a little more than just " that's bullshit ". Like I said it was an Honest Question. I come to this forum to learn things not stir up crap. Some posters on here are in the know ( Gman-Ryan-UVa)  not Parsons LOL. 

And double ironically Richlands fans complain about the officiating at Richlands. 

It seems to me that Richlands fans and radio announcers always complain about the referees but they'll never admit that they actually commit the penalties. I've talked to a lot of richlands fans since Friday (in person, not on here) some went to the game, some just listened to it, and all they wanted to talk about was how richlands should've blew bluefield out and the penalties just kept them in the game. To start a thread and write a novel about how you didn't like the calls in a game you won by 2 td's shows a lot of butthurt about a previous game at Mitchell. But in the same breath richlands fans will cry if someone brings up a previous questionable game *salem*

The difference is that we did something illegal and then we got punished for it. People forget that we had a really good team the next year that couldn't play in the playoffs because we were on probation. Also other fans from other teams have said the same thing. I believe a Graham fan said that they have had about 15 games taken from them over the years. With this being said I guess in the long run you really can't blame anyone but ourselves because we schedule them. The choice is play Bluefield and risk the refs or play someone 3 hours away. Maybe we can drop them for Ridgeview in the near future.

I been hearing rumors about how officials are in KY and WV, I guess all the rumors are true. you pretty much have to play against the refs in those states, but what about TN officials, are they decent

I like the TN refs better than the VA refs.

I believe a Graham fan said that they have had about 15 games taken from them over the years.

Yeh, a Graham fan did post that but take it with a grain of salt, it was a mild exaggeration...

And to be honest, I'm really befuddled as to why in the hell you're still complaining about the officiating considering your team won the game by two TD's...some things amaze me, but I shouldn't be surprised considering the source...

Maybe we should talk about illegal cleats after Richlands watered down the field prior to the Salem game...