Union @ Lee

Unionguy_2017

Imo Lee is running the right style of Offense for their personnel.

They ran Pistol 4 Wide, Read option v Rv and later mixed in some shotgun 2 back, Lead and G Counter. But no Lead or Counter from Pistol and no Option from Gun. If they would combine the two they would have something but as it stands I thought they were a little predictable. Pistol Read option or pass. Gun Lead or G Counter.

Union makes a lot of teams look bad. Rv looked like a JV team out there against the Bears.

Lee high would be better served letting horse coach them. At least he would not put in game plans destine to fail. Good looking bunch of players surrounded by clowns trying to coach.

The lack of screen, counters, and outside runs are the problem with lee. It's either a run up the gut or a qb run up the other gut. Add in a screen play, some wr motion counter, and triple option the lanes would open up while giving the qb some confidence.

It's a simple fix that adds layers and allows you to be unpredictable. Jib run game look impressive from what I saw.

Well said West. Its like they run 2 separate, incomplete, "Spread" Offenses.

You mentioned Triple Option, thats tough to add in but Dive/Freeze Option (old Nebraska Cornhuskers Option plays) are really easy to add and add another dimension to the Offense.

Speaking of layers, JIB  has them. Jet, GT Counter, FB Trap and a decent passing game. And most difficult of all everything looks the same. Not a lot of tells in what they do.

Youve got me caught up in Xs and Os, I can go on forever lol

What really get me is that i think it has been 5 or 6 straight middle school (7th and 8th grade) seasons that they haven't lost a game to a Virginia team. May be wrong but that"s what i heard last Monday when they played Union. Hell of a team very good athletes. What happens to them as they move up to JV and varsity?

Sounds like a lack of development. Weight room, 7 on 7s, off season conditioning, etc play a huge role between 8th and 10th grade. If a TEAM doesn't do those things they will not win. 

That being said Lee was REALLY good last season and they lost a lot

Sounds like a lack of development. Weight room, 7 on 7s, off season conditioning, etc play a huge role between 8th and 10th grade. If a TEAM doesn't do those things they will not win.

That being said Lee was REALLY good last season and they lost a lot

How did schools work around the vhsl restrictions? I know now there is very little dead time, and things can be constantly scheduled and practiced, but in recent years it was a dead sentence to practice outside of that certain time.

Lee's complete coaches need replaced from top to bottom.... with people from away from Lee county. ... to much favoritism when you got little league coaches that make sure kids played for them play and much better players on the sideline.... if I were GC and Union coach I'd make a recruiting effort and pull a lot of good players that could be a strong asset to your teams. There are reasons 8 and 9 graders are dominating here then by the time in the 10 grade they are ruined!

Lee's complete coaches need replaced from top to bottom.... with people from away from Lee county. ... to much favoritism when you got little league coaches that make sure kids played for them play and much better players on the sideline.... if I were GC and Union coach I'd make a recruiting effort and pull a lot of good players that could be a strong asset to your teams. There are reasons 8 and 9 graders are dominating here then by the time in the 10 grade they are ruined!

I have to commend Martin for the ground work he has built, but he has hit some road blocks (offensive coordinator more weight training). Even as a union fan, you have to admit he has lifted the program. With all the losses from last year's team, that was better than union, he is still setup for 2nd in the Mountain and a decent playoff seed.

I admit things in Lee Co are very political and parent influence, TW a little less so. Right now with the correct coaching changes, getting those that want to put in the work, the parent and "doners" that will help financially will come around and help Lee.

I don't think you will ever see "recruiting" going on at Union. Way to much talent in our JV, middle and youth programs. GC & Richlands, sure.. but don't hold your breath to get "recruited" by Union. I just think it's funny that nobody was complaining about Lee's coaching staff last season when they were stacked with talent. The best way I've heard it put was that good teams "reload" after losing a bunch of talent, mediocre teams "rebuild". Union lost 4-5 really talented seniors last season but have gotten better!

I don't think you will ever see "recruiting" going on at Union. Way to much talent in our JV, middle and youth programs. GC & Richlands, sure.. but don't hold your breath to get "recruited" by Union. I just think it's funny that nobody was complaining about Lee's coaching staff last season when they were stacked with talent. The best way I've heard it put was that good teams "reload" after losing a bunch of talent, mediocre teams "rebuild". Union lost 4-5 really talented seniors last season but have gotten better!

The playcalling last year fit the players and the o line we had, or it worked well. Hard to judge talent when they aren't put in the position to succeed due to inferior playcalls.

Also recruiting happens everywhere to one degree or another family friends necessity, stop taking pop shots

Not sure what "pop shot" is exactly but I can assure you I didn't take a shot at anyone. I'm glad to see Lee competitive, makes the Mountain District that much better of a district. Not everybody that makes a post is trying to put "your" team down.

Not sure what "pop shot" is exactly but I can assure you I didn't take a shot at anyone. I'm glad to see Lee competitive, makes the Mountain District that much better of a district. Not everybody that makes a post is trying to put "your" team down.

gc nor Richlands is my team.

I have to commend Martin for the ground work he has built, but he has hit some road blocks (offensive coordinator more weight training). Even as a union fan, you have to admit he has lifted the program. With all the losses from last year's team, that was better than union, he is still setup for 2nd in the Mountain and a decent playoff seed.

I admit things in Lee Co are very political and parent influence, TW a little less so. Right now with the correct coaching changes, getting those that want to put in the work, the parent and "doners" that will help financially will come around and help Lee.

Sanders and Palko proved success was still achievable at Lee.  It's unfortunate that the stays were short and one didn't have much of a staff around him.  Under Sanders, the first winning season in a long time was achieved and got them noticed (probably would have made the playoffs under the current system), the second half turnaround during Palko's second season saw one of the better teams in the area, even being that one-dimensional.  The work Palko and Lefevers did with the offensive line was great.  This was a great group of kids that came through Lee the past couple of years, and the staff knew them better than any other given being around them for so long.  The rest of this year and the next couple of seasons will be telling for their future.  When the big heads start to grumble, you know changes aren't far behind.  The winds of change can blow very quickly in Lee when people aren't happy, and we've already seen that start to boil up this year that suddenly.  

The next couple of games are almost must wins for Lee IMO.  If they don't get by Gate City and Central, they could very well miss out this year.

Lee/tw as a whole yes, buy I'll root for any swva team in the playoffs.

Richlands and gc were just accused of "recruiting" when it happens everywhere.

Ah. I see where you were going now. My bad!