WVVA Story: Tazewell Football

Deleted Account

http://www.wvva.com/story/30244763/2015/10/12/parents-and-players-express-opinions-on-head-coach-at-tazewell-co-board-of-education-meeting

I'm flabbergasted.

Whining to the school board, at a public hearing, because your little Johnny isn't getting the playing time you think he deserves? Crying because you're ignorant about the game of football and can't see how a 20-point game is not out of reach in the 4th quarter?

I know this is WVVA, so take it with a block of salt. I do not know about what details of the coach's "personal life" are, but considering the school board didn't terminate him, it seems petty and slight.

Look, Tazewell, I want to want good things for your football team. Your kids deserve it. Your embattled coach deserves it. Many of your rational fans deserve it. But if people in your community whine and moan to this level, and are so brazen to put their names behind it...it makes me question whether or not Tazewell has what it takes to warrant a good football team.

You lost to Richlands...again...and part of that is the parent-sanctioned playing musical chairs with the coaching staff. Build a bridge and get over it. Give the man a chance to build something. For one of the few times since my youth, your team isn't horrible. In fact, even the kids are buying in, which has been a huge problem in the past.

/Rant.

If this was jv, 8th grade, little league, etc; I would side with the players and parents however this is varsity. The joy ride and roses is over because his job coaching is on the line. Building on that, this is were important lessons of working harder to get what you want are firmly established.

Now I know why the Tazewell coaching staff has such a hard time building a program. This is not little league football anymore. Your kid had time to grow in the game just as the other kids did. This is about winning now, not making each and every kid feel special. Those days are over, do you think that when your kid gets in the real world that their boss or etc. is going to treat them like a child? Each player is working for the same success, no matter if your the starting QB or the back up kicker. You both work toward the same thing, SUCCESS! Have you ever though to yourself, maybe just maybe my kid isn't much of a football player. Its impressive that they are sticking it out and not being a quitter like 90% of this messed up world today.

Oh yeah, get over yourself. This is life now. get off your equality high horse.

My thoughts on it, is he the best coach there is?  Maybe not.  Is his assistant coach choices questionable?  Probably.  Is play call predictable?  Many times yes.

Now with all that said he is the best coach option we have had in many years.  Players support him and get behind him.  The middle school program is strong so we will see what happens when they get to he big stage.  Some coaching choices were all to easy to tell that they were a bad choice and should have never been made ie our previous two choices.  I support him and hope that he continues to build.  What is to be expected after all after you lose what players you had to graduation and then your star player decides to be all about me and jump ship as well.  I was very disappointed by the turnout friday night against richlands.  I know we are down and the weather was a factor but still you should be supporting your team no matter what especially against your biggest rival.  I hear a lot of the banter in the stands and granted some of it is warranted but sometimes you have to  do the best with what you have.  How do they think the college players work?  Look at VT.  Coleman started out being the main RB now McMillian is the premier back or Knowles who has been there and been great as a WR and kick returner now he sees limited action.

I know a lot of thoughts and random thoughts at that there but it makes me mad.  My wife told me yesterday when I got home that something had facebook all lit up about the coach.  That's our problem in today's society is words on a screen instead of put up or shut up on the field.  Also parents that get to involved and think they are a coach or agent for their kid.  I know for fact thats why a few of our players have left was due to the parents...

I'll get off my soap box for now at least...

I played for Tazewell my senior year and lived for 3 years once I moved back from Alabama. I tried my best to stay invested in the school and community but from the time that they started forcing Coach Wyatt out the door (1 year removed from being #1 issued in the region and winning 9 games) I gradually started losing respect for Tazewell and its community "leaders."

Tazewell - your football team is bad, has been bad, and will be bad as long as this continues. Kids need structure, foundation, and a sense of pride for who and what they are playing for. Now certain members of the community start spreading around that they are displeased with the coach that spends his time instilling these values in your kids....how in the world do you think this benefits anyone? You take away the pride that your kids have in the program & you tarnish the name of a coach that sacrifices time with his own kids to mentor yours. With this going on now for 5+ years how in the hell do you ever expect that you're going to get a good coach?????

If you read the article it says the players signed a petition in support of the coach. So what does this tell you? (Some of) THE PARENTS ARE THE PROBLEM. The kids aren't calling for coach Allen's head and the kids sure as hell can't walk into another school and register there. Some parents that actually want best for all the kids (and not just theirs) need to step up and take control of this situation because the community leadership you have now is running you into the ground where you will never be able to get out. I mean one of your booster leaders took your best player to your hated rival?? Jesus Christ it's embarrassing and disgusting that that would even be considered an option.

I've kind of ranted on and run some stuff together but it's really aggravating that because of the actions of the community of Tazewell that I cannot be proud of where I finished my high school career. I meet a lot of different people and when they ask me where I went to school, without hesitation I say Pocahontas. I'm literally that disgusted with Tazewell.

I played for Tazewell my senior year and lived for 3 years once I moved back from Alabama. I tried my best to stay invested in the school and community but from the time that they started forcing Coach Wyatt out the door (1 year removed from being #1 issued in the region and winning 9 games) I gradually started losing respect for Tazewell and its community "leaders."

Tazewell - your football team is bad, has been bad, and will be bad as long as this continues. Kids need structure, foundation, and a sense of pride for who and what they are playing for. Now certain members of the community start spreading around that they are displeased with the coach that spends his time instilling these values in your kids....how in the world do you think this benefits anyone? You take away the pride that your kids have in the program & you tarnish the name of a coach that sacrifices time with his own kids to mentor yours. With this going on now for 5+ years how in the hell do you ever expect that you're going to get a good coach?????

If you read the article it says the players signed a petition in support of the coach. So what does this tell you? (Some of) THE PARENTS ARE THE PROBLEM. The kids aren't calling for coach Allen's head and the kids sure as hell can't walk into another school and register there. Some parents that actually want best for all the kids (and not just theirs) need to step up and take control of this situation because the community leadership you have now is running you into the ground where you will never be able to get out. I mean one of your booster leaders took your best player to your hated rival?? Jesus Christ it's embarrassing and disgusting that that would even be considered an option.

I've kind of ranted on and run some stuff together but it's really aggravating that because of the actions of the community of Tazewell that I cannot be proud of where I finished my high school career. I meet a lot of different people and when they ask me where I went to school, without hesitation I say Pocahontas. I'm literally that disgusted with Tazewell.

I think you hit it dead on.  I am die hard Bulldog through thick and thin.  Plenty of thin lately.  I bleed green and white and the regulars of the boosters and such know my dedication well.  I talk to people every friday from different areas and tell them that I'm going to the game and they ask which one.  After I tell them Tazewell/whoever, you can see many of them kind of have the expression of your excited about that one???

About the booster bolting for the hated rival, I know many people here that are greatly displeased with him on that more so than the kid himself.  I know for fact some of the Richlands people hate that as well.  Of course I'm sure they are glad to have another star lol.  But when your most hated rival starts feeling bad for your team what does that say?

We have to get behind the coach and support him and believe in him and his program.  We all would do something different I'm sure, but that isn't our job.

Sorry had to step up on the box for a quick moment again! 

This is one of the reasons jobs continue to leave the USA in droves. Until we get over to the entitlement mentality this county will continue to struggle. It has been stated many times; employers are unable to find workers that are team players and are willing to work for an honest day's pay. It starts with a word that's not always easy to say to your flesh and blood but is most necessary for proper development, NO. Failure and not always having things the way you want them, when you want them can be a great motivator if nurtured properly. 

We also need to remember it is not important to be a subordinate's friend when you are in an authority position. Make the tough decisions and stand by them. When I look back to many of my "old school" coaches and teachers, that I may have disliked at the time, I today realize how much I learned from these great people.  

I have no words other than, WTF is wrong with some people...

I'm just glad there's a name and face to the bitching now. 

And this happens all around Tazewell Co. at other sports programs, (i.e. Richlands basketball) and sadly I bet it happens to the Richlands football program once Mance retires as well. 

If this was jv, 8th grade, little league, etc; I would side with the players and parents however this is varsity. The joy ride and roses is over because his job coaching is on the line. Building on that, this is were important lessons of working harder to get what you want are firmly established.

IMO, it gets real when the kid enters 8th grade.. Because up to that point, ma and pa have paid for jr to play. In 8th grade, the rubber begins to hit the road as far as playing time is concerned. That's where the very worst players begin to get weeded out...and it continues throughout varsity as well. As for the coach, sometimes parents get their feelings hurt when they realize lil johnny ain't an all-star. In my life I've played, coached on bad teams, and coached on teams that went as far as the Region D finals with little to work with...one thing was constant...successful coaches don't let parents make their decisions for them.

I am afraid that until Tazewell gets this kind of stuff under control they will never get their program back to the place they once were and should be again.  It's a shame,  because it was such a good, proud program there for a while.

Every school has some parents who think their kid is the next great star to come along and they want to live their lost dream through their kids lives,  but all they end up doing is harm,  but fortunately a lot of the better programs are able to keep that to a minimum.   About the only way to keep it under control is to win,  but that's hard to do when the parents think they know more than Belichick or Saban so it becomes a double edge sword and it feeds upon itself.

Even at a program like Richlands and I'm sure any other that wins consistently,  you still have that,  just not to the extent it is at some of these schools like Tazewell.  I know at Richlands and I'm sure at Union and Bluefield and places like that,  the coach runs the football team and it has to be that way to have a chance.

Like the Mayor said,  I worry when Mance retires.  It will take a strong coach to be able to handle the pressure to follow him !

I do wish for the good fans and all the players of Tazewell that they get this under control and get their program back to where it could be..........the kids deserve it ! 

One big factor though is the kids...As long as they believe in the coach then they will do their best and speak up for up regardless what the parents say.

That happened with Allen.  Now lets see where it goes from there...

One big factor though is the kids...As long as they believe in the coach then they will do their best and speak up for up regardless what the parents say.

I highly doubt that, parents will get what they want in the end. 

Great example of this, not long after James "Moose" Cochran took the Richlands girls basketball program further than they had gone in a long time, getting Region IV Coach of the Year and also the BDT Girls Coach of the year, he was outted by the parents. 

IMO, it gets real when the kid enters 8th grade.. Because up to that point, ma and pa have paid for jr to play. In 8th grade, the rubber begins to hit the road as far as playing time is concerned. That's where the very worst players begin to get weeded out...and it continues throughout varsity as well. As for the coach, sometimes parents get their feelings hurt when they realize lil johnny ain't an all-star. In my life I've played, coached on bad teams, and coached on teams that went as far as the Region D finals with little to work with...one thing was constant...successful coaches don't let parents make their decisions for them.

I agree. I've been hearing some complaining about Union's 8th grade team from parents/relatives that still think "everybody gets to play". Fundamentals are learned in youth league. 8th grade truly starts "play to win". And you win with your best kids on the field.

I agree with you guys but there are a lot of talent on all teams that don't see much if any play time for some reason. I believe the coaches in most cases play kids that have lots of political power in the county or families are boosters I believe these things can create a shorter coaching career than losing unless cretain kids are played.

I agree. I've been hearing some complaining about Union's 8th grade team from parents/relatives that still think "everybody gets to play". Fundamentals are learned in youth league. 8th grade truly starts "play to win". And you win with your best kids on the field.

I agree with you guys but there are a lot of talent on all teams that don't see much if any play time for some reason. I believe the coaches in most cases play kids that have lots of political power in the county or families are boosters I believe these things can create a shorter coaching career than losing unless cretain kids are played.

I know of this to be true for at least one of our previous coaches...

The best athletic programs are those who have community, parent, student, teacher, administration and booster support.  Support doesn't mean screaming from the highest mountain top your opinion on what is right, wrong or indifferent with the current product on the field.  Support means allowing those in charge to lead while offering any help or expertise you can.  Key word being "offer" which in no way, shape or form means forcibly.  My initial thought when watching the video was "gee, I wonder how much of the personal life issues are rumor".  I would bet, most, if not all.  Let those elected and hired to lead, lead.  

If you aren't a part of the solution, you are a part of the problem!

Did you seriously "like" your own post?

Interesting!

Sorry must have hit like on my phone.

Nothing to apologize for.  It's just something you don't see everyday.  I feel your pain when trying to use this site on my phone, not to imply there is somehow something wrong with this site.  I need a new phone badly but Verizon is gauging it's customers to the point of needing to get out of my current contract.  So, I am stuck until my contract expires in January. 

Watching Richlands on video seems they are the only team that rotates in a lot keeps players fresh. Most teams around here when they get a good player they make them work horses then when they get an injury other player with little playing time has to fill in then people think the player isn't any good. If more players get more play time the team as a whole would be better. I understand there are players just there to be on the team that really don't need there but some there are good players don't get playing time and they get discouraged then others feed off them morale goes down and fans wonder then WTF has happened to our program.

Watching Richlands on video seems they are the only team that rotates in a lot keeps players fresh. Most teams around here when they get a good player they make them work horses then when they get an injury other player with little playing time has to fill in then people think the player isn't any good. If more players get more play time the team as a whole would be better. I understand there are players just there to be on the team that really don't need there but some there are good players don't get playing time and they get discouraged then others feed off them morale goes down and fans wonder then WTF has happened to our program.

Either you or your child must not be very good at sports...

2fwaho.jpg